Error in Snapshot plugin - changed server & can't choose new backup folder

I'm hitting an error in Snapshot.

I have a multisite installation. I have moved the multisite to it's own server. The site is working fine but the backups aren't, because the directory no longer exists.

On the previous server I had followed Snapshot's recommendation and had the backups saved in the root of the site (instead of in the publicly accessible Uploads folder).
In "Settings" the "Backup Folder" is set to:
/home/geektami/public_html/redsystemsconz/snapshots

Now that I have moved the site to a different account, the server directory structure has changed. So Snapshot is giving error messages about the directory not being writable. But when I try to change the folder that the backups will save to, it gives a white screen with these error message:

Warning: rename(/,/home/redsystems/public_html/wp-content/uploads/snapshotbackups): Device or resource busy in /home/redsystems/public_html/wp-content/plugins/snapshot/snapshot.php on line 1911

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/redsystems/public_html/wp-content/plugins/snapshot/snapshot.php:1911) in /home/redsystems/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1207

I solved the problem by going into PHPMyAdmin and editing the backup folder manually, which seemed to reset the folder back to default. So it's working for me now, but is this something that Snapshot developers need to look at?

• Milan

Hi @Josh ,

I hope you are having an awesome day. :slight_smile:

I've took a loot at core files of snapshot pro and got to know that when user try to change the directory path of backup folder our snapshot pro plugin uses rename function of php to rename to new path based on previous one.

Rename function will throw that warning( the first one you mentioned in post :slight_smile: ) whenever previous path doesn't exist. The point here is that most of time user just want to change the backup folder with all the backups he ever created with snapshot pro so it's easier to just rename the backup folder. :slight_smile:

I hope this makes sense to you. if it doesn't it's all good as this is not very much important you need to care about.

So Dear @Josh This can not be flagged as bug. :slight_smile: But of course I will notify developer about this. Hopefully they will try to implement it another way around.

I wish you better day dear @Josh, And thanking you a lot for taking time to explain what was the problem you faced :slight_smile:

Warmest Regards,
    Milan Savaliya
    Support Staff ( WPMUDEV )

• Josh

Hi Milan. I understand that the code was trying to move the folder. The "bug" is the fact that in the scenario described - where a site has been moved to a new server - and the snapshots folder was set relative to /home/... then Snapshots no longer works. The Snapshots don't work AND there is no way within the interface to change the folder. When we try to change the folder it breaks - the error is shown and the folder isn't changed. So the plugin stops working completely. Hence the use of the word "bug". In this situation the plugin breaks completely. Would be great to be fixed - e.g. by putting in a warning instead of an error if the folder is unavailable to be moved/renamed. It could just say, "Warning - we could not move the existing folder to the new specified location, but the new backups folder has successfully been set as requested".

• Milan

Hi @Josh,

I hope you had an awesome day.. :slight_smile:

Thanks for explaining why you indicated this behavior as bug. I will surely notify developer about this.

Again thanks a lot for being valuable member of wpmudev. :slight_smile: We respect your suggestion and try to solve this asap. :slight_smile:

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with..

Enjoy Wpmudev..

Warmest Regards,
    Milan..

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.