Error Installing Avatars 3.5.4

Hello - I have a new wordpress install running Supporter and I was getting ready to set up community but it requires messaging and avatar plug ins. I downloaded the Avatar 3.5.4 plug in and it contains a folder called avatars that is a little different from other plugins and looks more like an MU-plugin. Inside this folder are 3 files and a folder. Folder is called avatars-files and then outside of that are changelog.txt, avatars.php and avatars-bbpress.php. I've tried putting the files in the avatars folder into a new folder called avatars in plugins, I've tried moving the avatars-files and the other two php files into the plugin directory and tried the same in MU-plugins (but this would crash the site). When I tried first two methods I got a fatal error: __construct not defined line 73 in avatars.php. Not sure whats going on. Any help appreciated...

• The-Clever-Robot

Thats the problem. I moved the whole Avatars folder into the plugins directory and when I went to network activate "Avatars for Multi Site" I get the following message

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: __construct() in /home/lindenthaldesign/public_html/wp-content/plugins/avatars/avatars.php on line 73

Thanks for responding Sue!

• The-Clever-Robot

OK something is up. I just tried to install the admin footer plug in and that failed too:
    "Fatal error: Call to undefined function: __construct() in /home/lindenthaldesign/public_html/wp-content/plugins/admin-footer-text/admin-footer-text.php on line 50"

I deactivated all my plug ins and tried both the Avatars and the Admin Footer plug in and both generated the errors. I was able to re-activate all other plug ins no problem. Below is a list of what plug ins I have active:

Admin Panel Tips
    Auto Message
    Supporter
    Supporter Advertising
    Messaging
    WPMU DEV Update Notifications

• The-Clever-Robot

Just tried to install Admin Logo Image Plugin (I am following the install directions and FTP'd files to the Plugins Directory) and it generated this error: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: __construct() in /home/lindenthaldesign/public_html/wp-content/plugins/login-image/login-image.php on line 40

Then I tried to install: Remove WP Dashboard Widgets Plugin and it installed no problem

Then I installed Remove Permalinks Menu Item Plugin and it installed correctly

Then I installed Rebranded Meta Widget Plugin, it installed correctly

Global Footer Content Plugin installed successfully

Site Wide Text Change Plugin installed successfully

Then I tried to install the Admin Help Content plug in and got: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: __construct() in /home/lindenthaldesign/public_html/wp-content/plugins/admin-help-content/admin-help-content.php on line 51

Then I installed the Chat Plugin - and it installed no problem

Then I tried popover plugin. I tookthe directory called: popoverincludes and put it in the MU-PLugins folder. I took the file: popover.php, opened and commented out line //define('PO_GLOBAL',true); so each blog could control its own pop ups. Even though the plug in files were in the MU-PLugins directory it showed up in the Admin/PLugins/Inactive. When I clicked on "Network Activate" I got this message: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare set_popover_url() (previously declared in /home/lindenthaldesign/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/popoverincludes/classes/functions.php:13) in /home/lindenthaldesign/public_html/wp-content/plugins/popover/popoverincludes/classes/functions.php on line 13

I'll keep trying plug ins but these that failed are pretty critical to the branding and funtionality of my project. I especially wanted to install the "Community Plugin" but it requires "Avatars Plugin" which fails.

The main reason I joined WPMUDev was for these plug ins. I have followed all instructions for each individual plugin and still get the Failed to Install Messages. I even de-activated all plugins and tried to install each one of the failed ones individually and it failed. But I had no problem re-activating and using the others. Any help appreciated...

• DavidM

That indeed would be the problem. Would it be possible for your host to upgrade to PHP 5? The forthcoming update to WordPress will require PHP 5 so many hosts will be expecting a lot of such requests.

Barring that, the older versions of the plugins are still available for download here on site, and you may find older versions to work with your site. I'll be more than happy to assist in pointing you to the previous versions of each. Just let me know.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.