Error Message to upgrade

Not sure if I am not doing something right. We are already a full member, but we still get this message " Many thanks for using a WPMU DEV plugin, if you haven't already - have a think about becoming a paid up member, and letting us be your WordPress team!" Appreciate any advice. Thanks

• blogmaster
    • Flash Drive

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the support. Yes, the update notification is in place and activated, yet it gives the same error. with The package could not be installed. PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature.

I have deleted and reinstall many times without success to update without those error messages.

Appreciate if there are other areas that I may have overlooked.

Thank you

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

There could a be a few reasons for this. Can you first check file and folder permissions and ownership?

When using the WordPress updater (for plugins/themes from wp.org) do you ever have issues.

As a quick way around this you can download the plugin, unpack it and upload it direct rather than using the updater plugin. This will get around the issue for you.

Take care.

• blogmaster
    • Flash Drive

Hi Timothy,

I never had issues with file updater just the wpmu dev update notification. Had earlier success for some but now, it is not working.

All plugins and themes are currently loaded only via ftp.

File permission is at 755 and all updates are via cpanel file manager.

The only way to get it working so far is via delete and replace or updates using only ftp. I am new to this and just installed the multisites. If this does not get through, it will be hard to invite anyone to use my template for individual blogs as I don't want to end up deleting or overriding the bloggers' work.

Thanks for trying to help.

Cheers,
    Pauline

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

I've just tried some updates and they seem to work well on my setups.....

The only way to get it working so far is via delete and replace or updates using only ftp. I am new to this and just installed the multisites. If this does not get through, it will be hard to invite anyone to use my template for individual blogs as I don't want to end up deleting or overriding the bloggers' work.

You wouldn't be overriding their work. The process is the same as updater, it downloads, removes, unpacks, activates.

When doing FTP or SSH what I tend to do is upload the new files in the directory before. Then quick move the old files and move the new ones in. Its almost instantaneous. I always do those changes when I know the site is at its quietest.

The PCLZIP error can be for a number of reason, for example:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/incompatible-archive-pclzip_err_bad_format-10-invalid-block-size-41

That was:

My 'mbstring.func_overload' in php.ini was set to 7

Setting this value to 0 fixed the problem !

Sometimes it a file/folder permission and this can vary from system to system. I use suPHP and my permissions are always 755 for folders, 644 for files.

Then it could be a space issue as well.

In your PHP.ini you could try commenting out:

;mbstring.func_overload = X

Nearly always a permissions problem or space though when I've seen it.

Perhaps you could try some of that and get back to us and let us know. :slight_smile:

• blogmaster
    • Flash Drive

Thanks Tim for the detail work done here with me. I have resolved the issue via removing the old and replaced them with new version using ftp. This is not the ideal approach but to get moving ahead to wait for next update to check if the problem is only pertaining to certain plugins and themes.

As for the path of updating the php.ini, i am not sure how to do that. Since the issue is 'covered up' for now, I will try it when i hit the same issue again.

Cheers & Have a lovely weekend!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.