Error Saving Upfront Theme Changes

I have been trying to save changes to my site in Upfront and I continuously get the error "There has been an error saving your changes."

I've gone as far as to upgrade all of my plugins, upgrade to Wordpress 4.5, and even disable all of my plugins. Each time I get this same result.

Currently I have my WP Construction plugin turned on, but when I was testing it was disabled.

Any ideas what might be going on? Are there any logs which might point me in the right direction?

    • crazkanuk
      • Flash Drive

      Thanks for the reply.

      I tried putting this code in the .htaccess in my root and also created a .htaccess in wp-admin root, but I'm still seeing the same issue. I've granted support access, so please feel free to have a look and see if you can figure out what's going on there.

      Thanks for your help!

    • crazkanuk
      • Flash Drive

      I was working on this again tonight and I found that I am actually able to save a custom background image when using the Scribe theme, but when I use Fixer, it does not allow me to save my changes at all. I just tried changing some text and got the same result.

      Also, I tried deleting and re-installing the Fixer theme without any success. Same error.

      Are there any logs that Upfront creates that might give me an idea of what's going on?

      Thanks!

  • Nithin
    • Support Wizard

    Hi crazkanuk,

    Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

    Glad to know you are able to make changes in Scribe, each theme is different when it comes to how it interacts with the server. In Fixer, I was able to notice 413 (Request Entity Too Large) error in the console, it seems the server doesn't allow big payloads, can you try increasing your memory limit.

    Please try increasing your post_max_size to a higher value and check whether that makes any difference. You can find these rules in your php.ini file. For more info, please check this link: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/

    Please let us know how that goes. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

    Kind Regards,
    Nithin

    • crazkanuk
      • Flash Drive

      Hey Nithin,

      Ok, so I took some time to review this issue with my host. As it turns out, the memory isn't what was affecting it. I'm not sure of the root issue, but when my host turned off mod_security I was able to save without issue with only 64M memory.

      I already tried "SecFilterRemove 00318" in my .htaccess file, without luck. Actually, my host said they don't use that filter. So apart from turning off mod_security entirely, do you have any suggestions on what may be causing the issue? I'm just in the process of changing over to dedicated hosting so I can have access over my server admin. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear it and maybe I can help someone else with the same problem in the future.

      Thanks!

  • Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

    Hello crazkanuk,

    If turning mod_security entirely helped with saving changes that means this was culprit here. On some servers Upfront may hit different rules than 00318 filter (this is most common one) and sometimes there is need for this entry

    <IfModule mod_security.c>
    SecRuleEngine Off
    SecFilterInheritance Off
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    SecRuleRemoveById 300015 3000016 3000017
    </IfModule>

    but when it doesn't work also your host should be able to tell you what exact rules where hit by Upfront and then you can try to exclude them.

    kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.