Error when activating the WPMU DEV dashboard - but it activated. Should I be concerned?

I upgraded to a yearly membership and installed the WPMU DEV dashboard I earlier installed at one of my sites (hibikinokai.org) at my personal blog (lerner.net).

During activation of the plugin I got the following error:

"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 604507 bytes) in /home/lerner/public_html/blog/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 880"

Yet - the WPMU DEV dashboard appears to be there, and I was able to login.

What might cause that error? Should I worry about it? It didn't happen when I installed it at hibikinokai.org.

Should I be concerned that that directory is visible whether I am logged in or not?

Thanks,

Doug

• Doug

I also asked my hosting service. They asked:

"The plugin WPMU DEV might require a higher PHP memory limit. Could you confirm its system requirements so we can verify if the currently limit set in the hosting server can support it?"

I thought it was a curious question since I already installed it at another site on the same server the other day. But since they asked, I said I would try to find out.

doug

• PC

Hey there Doug,

Thanks for your post.

"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 604507 bytes) in /home/lerner/public_html/blog/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 880"

That is due to the low amount of php memory on your hosting. Perhaps the memory was occupied doing other things when you tried to activate the plugin.

This is a very light plugin and is only used to check for updates, install new plugins etc so it does not require a lot of memory.

However its always advisable to ask your host to increase your php memory so that in future when your site grows, you can keep this kind of issues away !

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• PC

Hello there Doug,

We do not have any minimum requirements.

It totally depends on the number of plugins you are running and the amount of php memory they are consuming.

Our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin can work on as low as 32 MB however if you have other plugins utilizing the memory, you can anytime face memory issues on your WordPress site.

So its always good to have a high php memory limit to ensure that you do not run into issues like this. Not just with our plugins, but in general with any WordPress plugins that you use on your site.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.