Error when attempting full site backup

Automate emails "Error when attempting full site backup"
Managed Backup scheduled weekly, but the last backup date is on March 13. Tried once off backup, but it fails first showing General backup error. The log shows
[snapshot][2018-04-05 07:21:42][Error] Error processing manual backup: unknown:unknown
[snapshot][2018-04-05 07:21:53][Error] Error processing manual backup: backup

Then when tried again the managed backup run. Any suggestions.
Regular backup works well.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Roy Janssen

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked the chat, the site and the logs (both snapshot's logs on your site and Automate logs on our end). Automate reports that it started backup today around 12.30 GMT. This backup has just appeared on "Snapshot -> Managed Backups" list as finished and the size seems comparable to older full backup.

I see another backup from today which is smaller and wasn't uploaded to the cloud and it looks like that could be the one that failed while you were testing it. That's a bit "twisted" issue but it's worth noting two things:

1. The Automate log error mentioned during the chat - if you got a scheduled backups or are running a backup manually and Automate will happen to access the site at the same time and attempt to run backup, it will abandon backup due to "backup already running" issue;

2. If there is a backup running in background (either triggered by schedule or automate) running another one manually at the very same time might actually cause site/server resources to reach limits.

That said, I'm not saying that this exact thing has happened here, just noting that it's possible :slight_smile: What I'd like to check would be this:

- as far as I understand from the chat, the WP debugging has been enabled on site so let's keep it that way
    - try setting schedule for managed backups to daily and leave it like that, but don't try to run these backups manually (once-off backup) meanwhile
    - try to install some outdated plugin so automate triggered update
    - wait until another scheduled backup time passes by (+ 2 or 3 hours as backup process takes time)

Then download the "debug.log" (from /wp-content folder of your site) again, rename it to "debug.txt" and share with me here again and also make sure that the support access by then is still open so I could take another look.

Hopefully, this will give us some additional clues.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Roy Janssen

Hi there,

I am checking and it looks like you are right. Most of the backups started working again accept for the backups below.

Can we keep this ticket open for a few days so I can monitor the backups and tell you if it works?

Today:
    pyrolab-bv.nl ALERT:
    1 error, 0% change, 0 updates
    G’day Roy Janssen,
    Strewth maaaaaate, we ran Automate on pyrolab-bv.nl for ya! Here’s what we got up to:
    Apr 9, 2018 at 1:49pm: Error when attempting full site backup

sushimivenlo.nl ALERT:
    G’day Roy Janssen,
    Strewth maaaaaate, we ran Automate on sushimivenlo.nl for ya! Here’s what we got up to:
    Apr 9, 2018 at 12:51pm: Error when attempting full site backup

http://www.eleganceschoonheidssalon.nl ALERT:
    G’day Roy Janssen,
    Strewth maaaaaate, we ran Automate on http://www.eleganceschoonheidssalon.nl for ya! Here’s what we got up to:
    Apr 9, 2018 at 9:28am: Error when attempting full site backup

upsite.online ALERT:
    G’day Roy Janssen,
    Strewth maaaaaate, we ran Automate on upsite.online for ya! Here’s what we got up to:
    Apr 9, 2018 at 10:29am: Error when attempting full site backup

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Roy,

It seems that pyrolab-bv.nl is still having some backup issues :slight_frown:

Could you provide us with FTP or cPanel access to that site so we can investigate this further?

NOTE: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.
    Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.