Error when restoring a snapshot

Hi,

i received the following error when trying to restore a snapshot. The site seems to be working, however there will be big changes to the site and i need to have this working.

Unknown: errno:2048 is_a(): Deprecated. Please use the instanceof operator /home/compute2/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-theme.php on line 263

Thank you, Susan

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@imaginetek, Hi there. Tim nailed the issue.

You are seeing this from Snapshot because the backup and restore processes are super sensitive to even the slightest errors and will abort when one is reached. The 'is_a()' function is not used by Snapshot in any way. But as part of the restore AJAX calls from your browser to the server there are environment variables kicked off by WordPress. It is during this environment initialization when you see the error and Snapshot aborts.

As Tim pointed out is was deprecated in a previous version of PHP. Then in a newer version added back in for support. Probably because it caused major errors like what you are seeing.

So try and see if your hosting has an upgrade to PHP. IF you don't have an option to update PHP let me know back in this thread and I'll try and come up with a solution.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@imaginetek, Thanks. Thinking on this one. On the Snapshot > Settings page there is a box showing all the other variables. Like memory, MySQL version. Can I request a screenshot of those variables?

Will see if I can figure out a work around for you.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@imaginetek, Ah. I was wondering how you could be running PHP 5.5

PHP 5.2.17 was when the is_a PHP function was dropped. Then in 5.3.x it was added back. So next question is does your hosting offer a higher PHP version you could upgrade to?

• imaginetek
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Here is the response from hostgator:

This error message means that the plugin is not compatible with the version of Wordpress you are running. You will need to update the plugin if there is an update available, or find a new plugin that will perform the same job on your site.

If you have any questions, or if there is anything further we can assist you with let us know. We would be more than happy to help.

Warm regards,

Michael S.
    Linux Systems Administrator
    HostGator.com LLC
    http://support.hostgator.com

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@imaginetek,

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2616987/WPMUDev/snapshot-2.0.3-Beta8.zip

Before uploading or activating please make sure the other version of Snapshot is deactivated first.

This new snapshot is beta so I'm really just looking to make sure you can get past the restore without the processing being stopped. Once activated to the Snapshot > Settings page. At the bottom you will see a section for Error Reporting (see screenshot). Probably best to setup the checkboxes like the image.

Let me know if this solves or doesn't solve your issue.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Sorry for adding something which is probably irrelevant here, but......

This error message means that the plugin is not compatible with the version of Wordpress you are running. You will need to update the plugin if there is an update available, or find a new plugin that will perform the same job on your site.

That's rubbish, the plugin is compatible with WordPress.

The issue is a hosting environment one. I think they don't understood the issue at hand if I'm honest. That's not their fault though, all companies have staff at different levels of knowledge.

You don't need to, but if it were me I would write back and point out that a PHP function isn't anything to do with WordPress nor it's compatibility with a plugin and that the issue relates to a once depreciated function (temporary) and then brought out of retirement again.

The error thus can be resolve by using a current version of PHP.

Sorry for rambling on. :slight_smile:

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Timothy, I agree. This error is not anything caused by Snapshot since the referenced line e of code is outside the plugin. There are places within WordPress core that rely in the is_a() function which is surprising. Seems they would have done a better job about compatibility.

Still the abort on the restore is being caused by Snapshot. As I mentioned in this thread and others, I've setup Snapshot to be super sensitive to any E_ERROR, E_WARNING and E_NOTICE during the backup or restore. I didn't want to assume that a NOTICE (which is what is_a() is) was something I should ignore. Especially during a restore processing.

So in the code I turned on full error_reporting. As a result it brings out every nasty little notice and warning that are normally not seen.

As a solution (see my previous post in this thread about Beta 9). what I've done is setup a new Settings panel where the admin can control when to abort and when to log errors, warnings, notices. This should solve the issue.

• imaginetek

Thanks guys! Paul for the changes. Tim for points, that i will go back to Hostgator with. I'll let you know how everything turns out.

It is difficult at times to actually get to the bottom of an issue with hosting especially when using wordpress. I find that the easy answer is to blame the problem on WP or a plugin issue. Very time consuming for the most part. Glad i have you guys to help!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@imaginetek,

Yes, all your previous snapshots will still be there.

No, do not upgrade your PHP just yet. I would rather install the beta plugin and see if we can make sure the restore continues. I actually have three other Snapshot users having similar issues. This solution should solve all three. Hopefully. :slight_smile:

After we are done then you can upgrade your PHP if you want/need to.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

Ok. The class 'BackupDatabase' is only used in Snapshot. You weren't getting this error before when running the current version of Snapshot. Can you provide a screenshot of you plugins? I might be able to see some other plugin conflict.

• imaginetek

Hi Paul,

Sorry, I was not available for a couple of days. Here is probably where the issue resides, This is a multisite install, Snapshot is in the plugins directory, and not networked activated or site activated. Only visible in the Network Admin. However, even though not activated it seems that i can add a new snapshot, and defintely see the snapshots that have been previously taken. So, what i'm thinking is that even though it does not show that it is activated that it actually is. What do you think?

Susan

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@imaginetek, not a problem. We realize our members have a life outside of our support cycle.

As far as Snapshot. If the plugin is not showing as active under the Network admin plugins. Then the plugin must have been activated via some sub-site. The way Snapshot functions it only ever shows a Network Admin 'Snapshot' menu regardless os where it is activated.

So this means you need to start going through your site plugins and check if Snapshot shows active.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@imaginetek, I just checked your site and like you unable to find a plugin screen on any of your sites including the Network where Snapshot is activated. But yet on the Network admin menu I see the Snapshot entry.

I'm betting you have a version of the Snapshot in the mu-plugins folder. You will need to FTP into your server to see this. Under the /wp-content/ folder you should see the normal /plugins and /themes folders. Look to see if you also have a folder /mu-plugins Plugins placed into the mu-plugins folder are activated automatically by WordPress. http://codex.wordpress.org/Must_Use_Plugins

Most of the plugins we provided here as WPMU DEV are recommended NOT to be placed into the mu-plugins folder. Let me know. This is getting quite curious.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@imaginetek.

Just wanted to also check on the original issue from the thread about getting the error on restore. Can you try a restore and see if you are still getting the error?

The new Snapshot 2.0.3 should solve this issue as it lets you control at what point the processing stops.

Let me know.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.