Error while backing up in snapshot

Hello,

I got a error while making a backup in snapshot. (screenshot is here http://bandra.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Screen-Shot-2015-03-24-at-4.25.24-pm.png

• Michael Bissett

Hey @exist2014, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

Let's try to narrow down the cause of that error here:

First, could I ask you to try omitting the wp_postmeta table, and seeing if Snapshot is able to proceed then? If not, please let me know where it stops (via screenshot).

Next, could I ask you to try backing up only the tables, and seeing if the snapshot gets created successfully? If it doesn't, please let me know where it stops (via screenshot).

Also, a few questions here:

- Who's your web host?
    - Have you tried scheduling a backup, instead of doing an immediate backup?
    - Was there a point when this worked properly? If so, what happened around the time that this stopped working properly?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @exist2014, my apologies for the delay here!

I wouldn't want to omit the wp_postmeta table, as that provides various bits of information about your posts. However, that does help to narrow down where we need to look here. :slight_smile:

I'll want to have a deeper look at things, could I ask you to send in the following via our contact form:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form (linked to below), please select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @exist2014, thanks for sending that in! :slight_smile:

After doing some further testing here, it appears to be a matter of server resource usage, more specifically the database server.

I noticed that when I tried doing two database backups, one after the other, I was able to finish the first backup, but the second one would stop at various points (depending on how soon after I started the 2nd snapshot), and then the site would go down for about a minute or so.

However, doing a file snapshot right after a database backup didn't seem to trigger this condition.

Right now, I've got the memory set to 512M inside of Snapshot Pro, and the database segment size set to 2500. As long as there isn't much activity on the server around the time that the snapshot takes place, there shouldn't be any issues.

Of course, for the long term, I might want to look into upgrading to better hosting, as this resource problem might become more prominent in the future (the fact that there's around 15-20 other sites on the same hosting doesn't help matters either, as they all have their own resource usages as well).

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.