errors in website backend

I have uploaded one website to the system (https://www.meno-me.co.nz.nicer5.com) that I'd like to sort out first. The one I've synced is the staging/test site for the website I need to sort out. I have lots, of issues with it in the backend;

It has a child theme as we did a lot of customisation. Unfortunately the programmer did not supply me with documentation of the changes (despite me asking). I get nervous every time we need to update.

Anyway for now I need help on some errors....

The back-end plugin section has big issues;

1. Some back end pages take ‘forever' to load e.g. plugins area, system status.
2. errors e.g;

- back end plugin area - eCommerce Addon failed to check for updates because of the following error: cURL error 28: Resolving timed out after 10001 milliseconds
- back end plugin area - Your Minification plugin I managed to install says - cURL error 28: Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
- back end plugin area - Can't activate your Snapshot pro - activation failed 500 internal server error.
- system status page - wp_remote_get() failed. The WooCommerce plugin updater won't work with your server. Contact your hosting provider. Error: Resolving timed out after 15000 milliseconds

3. When trying to add a new plugin - An unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or this server’s configuration. If you continue to have problems, please try the support forums.
So I can't add new plugins in WP, I have to do it manually via FTP.

4. Browser Caching is not working properly:
- Your server may not have the "expires" module enabled (mod_expires for Apache, ngx_http_headers_module for NGINX)
- Another plugin may be interfering with the configuration
If re-checking and restarting does not resolve, please check with your host or open a support ticket with us.

Can you help?

Cheers
Dee

• James Morris

Hello Deanne McCrea,

I hope you are well today.

I've just tried to access your website to look into this issue further for you, but I'm afraid Support Access is not working for some reason. In order to move forward as expediently as possible, would you please grant me access to your site and server?

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

~OR~

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Deanne McCrea,

I've been looking into your system and I've found some issues and need some further clarification.

1. Some back end pages take ‘forever' to load e.g. plugins area, system status.

I've checked your PHP configuration by creating a phpinfo(); page and checking the settings. You can view the results by visiting info.php on your site. What I've found is as follows:

memory_limit = 128M
    max_execution_time = 30

These values are entirely too restrictive for a site like yours. I've tried to override these in php.ini and .user.ini but they will not take effect. So, your hosting provider is capping your resources. This will certainly cause very poor performance on your site.

...error: cURL error 28: Resolving timed out after 10001 milliseconds...

I've checked your PHP config and cURL is enabled and functioning correctly. I've also verified that your site can connect to our servers and there is no ban on your server's IP. See curltest.php on your server. Given the restrictive setting imposed elsewhere in PHP, I suspect that your host is restricting cURL connections as well.

Could you please contact your host and have them increase your limits on your account?

Your server may not have the "expires" module enabled (mod_expires for Apache, ngx_http_headers_module for NGINX)

Unfortunately, due to the way your server is configured, I'm unable to check to see if mod_expires is enabled. Could you please have your hosting provider check to make sure the module is loaded on your account?

Summary: It appears all of the issues you are experiencing are related to your hosting package. It seems it is inadequate for your needs and is not properly configured to support the software you wish to run. You may want to consider upgrading to a different host. Many of our members here have found great success with companies like SiteGround and WP Engine. Perhaps you might want to take a look at their offerings.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Deanne McCrea

Hi James,

My hosting provider made the following changes:

php_value post_max_size 32M
    php_value upload_max_filesize 24M
    php_value memory_limit 256M
    php_value max_execution_time 300
    php_value max_input_time 300
    php_value session.gc_maxlifetime 1200

Still get this error when I go to plugins;
    eCommerce Addon failed to check for updates because of the following error: Resolving timed out after 10001 milliseconds

Still get this message when I click Add New in the plugins area;
    An unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or this server’s configuration. If you continue to have problems, please try the support forums.

Still takes ages to load plugins and other back end pages.

Cheers
    Dee

• James Morris

Hello Deanne McCrea,

I've been doing some more digging into this issue. What I'm finding so far is that you're hosting provider just simply does not have your account configured properly for WordPress.

I enabled the Query Monitor plugin and found the following issues:

open_basedir is not set to allow the software on your site to access the proper directories.
    The cURL configuration is blocking WordPress and other plugins from accessing remote resources due to timeouts and possible misconfiguration.

I'm afraid the issues you're experiencing aren't limited to our plugins, but to every aspect of your site, which is being caused by misconfiguration of the server.

Please contact your hosting provider and have them check their configuration of open_basedir and cURL and ensure that it's properly setup for hosting WordPress sites.

If you want to give them detailed information, go to WP Admin -> Installed Plugins and click on the Query Monitor statistics in your admin toolbar. Select any statistic and you will see quite a bit of red on the page as you scroll. You can provide screenshots of that page to your host and they'll know what they need to change in WHM to fix the issues you're having.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.