Errors when performing tasks with Membership 2

I'm getting errors when trying to perform certain tasks when Membership 2 active:
Delete User
Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in /nas/content/staging/videobiker/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/addon/mailchimp/class-ms-addon-mailchimp.php on line 439
Add Membership to Existing User
Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in /nas/content/staging/videobiker/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/addon/mailchimp/class-ms-addon-mailchimp.php on line 439
Trying to add new user via M2

This happens with version 1.1 and 1.1.1, did a downgrade to 1.0.3.5 and it worked.

Thanks in advance!

• Paul Kevin
      • Neo

Hello Jez,

Could you please provide WordPress admin and FTP details through our safe contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Paul Kevin"
      - WordPress admin (login url/username/password)
      - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
      - cPanel/Plesk credentials (host/username/password)
      - link back to this thread for reference
      - any other relevant urls

Please use this format so it gets assigned to me. I will need to further investigate the issue you are having. The error line you are facing is a debug log which should not be thrown unless some files are missing or were changed.

Warm Regards
      Paul Kevin

• Jez
    • VideoBiker

Thanks for your response Paul. I was on a 'call' with Jorge Diaz from WPMUDEV this morning from 7am til 10am. I believe he took extensive notes and said everything would be recorded for 'development' in a ticket. I gave Jorge both WP Admin access & SFTP access. That said, I will fill out the requested form.

• Jez
    • VideoBiker

Thanks Paul. I think the Staging site had been reverted back to M2 1.1 - do you think the fix will work on version 1.1.1 and was the fix viable with the Mailchimp addon reactivated? And final question - will the same file, if added to the 'live' site - also be viable @ version 1.1.1? Thanks for your input and time.

• Jez
    • VideoBiker

Hi Kevin - the 'fix' appears to have created an even bigger issue on our live site and no users can gain access to their memberships because all of the 'subscription codes' have been changed - meaning that all the short codes are useless, where they were specifying 'subscription codes'. The MD of the company is threatening to hang me out to dry. I urgently need your help to resolve this please. I need to revert the codes.

• Paul Kevin
      • Neo

Hey Jez,

Im not really sure how the fix could do that, as it was an issue with Mailchimp add-on. Kindly elaborate which version you have been running on the live site. The only way the subscription ids will change is if the database was cleaned and imported again.

Warm Regards
      Paul Kevin

• Jez
    • VideoBiker

Just to add Kevin - I'm actually not sure what's happening. It seems that existing site users can access their memberships, but new ones cannot. They appear to be able to log-in, but are unable to access their memberships not do the short codes appear to be working. I fear we are in a worst situation than before and cannot safely add new users - which on this particular day, is a very big embarrassment for the MD of this site, who is in an investors meeting, with a very red face. I need your help urgently.

• Jez
    • VideoBiker

I will check, but we are not doing anything different. We are adding users & giving them access to memberships in the same way that we have always done so:
    membership 2 > Add Member & then select their memberships.
    Because there is not yet any 'front-end' ability to join the site, everything is being done manually.

A big question that I must ask here is if bugs are found by WPMUDEV - why are Membership 2.0 users automatically informed. You mention a fix to a problem we did not know existed.

• Paul Kevin
      • Neo

Hello Jez

It was mainly an issue that came around after a fix. Before subscriptions were automatically marked as active without the invoice being marked as paid. So there were changes to fix this which in return forced manually added members to have invoices marked as paid in order to gain access. The fix I provided solves this.

• Jez
    • VideoBiker

I'm not sure that the fix you have given is 'complete'. For the new users added today - after applying the fix (class-ms-controller-member.zip) - they are still unable to access their memberships. What would you recommend please?

• Paul Kevin
      • Neo

Hello Jez,

You will need to check if there are any pending invoices and set them to paid. Then set the Subscription status to active for the member you are trying to log in with. Login should work fine unless there are protection rules preventing the member to login. The changes I gave are for updating the subscription status to active in case there is a pending invoice and for the Mailchimp addon. Please check if there are any error logs generated as the fixes I provided do not hinder the login process. Also please confirm if you are using version 1.1.1

Warm Regards
      Paul Kevin

• Jez
    • VideoBiker

My apologies Paul, but we have had to register a complaint regarding this situation I don't know who is to blame and to be honest, that is not our concern All I know is that as a result of M2 1.1 and 1.1.1 - we are in a very difficult situation with a client. Our complaint explains the full gravity of our situation and it's very bad for us!

I have to leave the office now. It's my partners birthday, but I'm leaving under one of the most stressful clouds I've experienced in over 10 years of working with WordPress and clients sites.

Putting the new user 'active' has not worked and this very important strategic site user is unable (still) to access their content and memberships.

I hope that we can resolve this situation tomorrow.

• Jez
    • VideoBiker

In summary,
    M2 version 1.1.1, applied the following:

(1) "Kindly replace the attached file in the directory wp-content/plugins/membership/app/controller - zip class-ms-controller-member.zip"

(2) "You will need to check if there are any pending invoices and set them to paid. Then set the Subscription status to active for the member you are trying to log in with."

Newly added users were able to login, but were unable to access membership content. The were set to active and their invoices were showing as paid and they were not showing as 'draft' (whatever that is?).

We have reverted the site to what we think is the last known stable version of M2 1.0.3.5 and this appears to have the site working again.

Could we please implore that WMPUDEV Management implement an 'alert communication' system such that known serious issues with plugins can be communicated to Site Admins who manage those sites. When a new plugin version is released by a company like WPMUDEV, we trust that the plugin has been fully bug tested. In the case of M2 1.1 & 1.1.1, this appears not to have been the case and for a full four days, a site we are managing was rendered unmanageable. We were unable to add new users, delete new users, add new memberships and then following a 'fix' found that newly added users were unable to access membership content. Frustratingly, we discovered that these were known bugs, with known fixes - yet were not communicated with us. The result was that they were discovered too late and had to be dealt with after the damage had been done. We have lost time, lost money, lost reputation and will in all likelihood loose our biggest client. This client also lost money, time and reputation, as the plugin problems sadly coincided with a meeting, at which they were attempting to demo the site to new investors.

It is not in my nature to complain nor apportion blame. I accept that plugin bugs happen from time to time. We should have identified this bug much sooner - but a system that relies on customers to find bugs, before they can then be directed to solutions, is in my mind flawed. Our 'case study' of the last four days demonstrates this very well.

We have registered a complaint FAO: Tim Bowers (yesterday evening) and would appreciate a response from him asap.

• Paul Kevin
    • Neo

Hey there Jez,

Hope you are well today and I do apologize for any inconveniences that occurred during the fix of the issue . I have attached the current version 1.1.1 with the latest fixes in Mailchimp and the subscription status for members. Kindly test this on your staging server and let me know if you encounter any issues :slight_smile:

Warm Regards
    Paul Kevin

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there Jez,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

I've just re-uploaded the beta version in your staging site and after making some tests I can see that initial issues are now resolved.
    Please do check this once more and let us know here about your results!

Take care,
    Dimitris

• Jez
    • VideoBiker

Hello again Dimitris - thank you for your time thus far. In the Staging site, Membership 2.0 is now allowing us to add members within WP Admin > Users > Add new - so that appears to be fixed. We just need to check that the Mailchimp integration is working (will test that next). The other big thing on the list is the 502 Bad Gateway error that shows up when we click on the payment links. Is this the part that you have referred to Kevin?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.