Estimates on number of websites/page views that can be served by a single server

Hi

As you have created plugins like WPMU itself(part of core Wordpress), ProSites and the plugin to split the main Wordpress database into multiple databases- which is running on EduBlogs.org-- I have a question for you.

(1) Can you provide a rough/accurate estimate of the number of pageviews (for all websites in a WPMU install) can be served per month when the WPMU is running on a single server with 512MB RAM, 1 CPU Core, etc.
(2) And how does the number of pageviews that can be served increase when the server's RAM is increased to 1 GB, then 2GB (and correspondingly the number of CPU cores is also increased)?
The above 2 points dealt with the case when the entire WPMU database as well as the PHP wordpress installation are all on the same server.
(3) Now what is the rate at which number of pageviews served monthly increases, for both points 1 and 2 above-- if we also split the MySQL database into multiple databases running on multiple servers? How (at what rate/manner) does the ability to serve more page views increase with increasing number of 'split' MySQL databases(using the WPMU plugin to split the single WPMU database into multiple databases).

I basically am thinking of launching a CMS kind of service-- but I would like to get a fair idea of the kind of pricing I will have to pay for the servers- which depends on the number of pageviews that can be served.

I have settled on pageviews as that seems to be a simple means of measuring ability to serve websites. Also, all static content like images, CSS/JS files will be served from Content Delivery Network- so those files will neither be stored on Wordpress Server nor will those files put any load on the wordpress server.

In case you do not have such accurate or rough estimates to the above questions, kindly advice on how I can measure such metrics myself.

Yours sincerely,
Arvind.

• aecnu

Greetings Arvind and electroasd,

@electroasd you are spot on that this is indeed impossible to predict, but you did not comment on the specs of the server itself ... lol

@Arvind though as electroasd mentioned this is impossible to predict and the server specs you gave are from a server at least 10 years old, if memory servers it would be a 2002 era server.

On our hosting even my shared $4.00 a month will whip the snot out of that server and as far as the RAM is concerned we allocate 512MB just for php alone:
    http://wpmu-hosting.org/phpinfo.php

Anyway as you asked - there is indeed no way to predict what load the server can handle do to the thousands of variables.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT weekend!

Cheers, Joe

• Arvind

Hi,

@aecnu- you talked about your shared hosting- can you tell me the RAM/CPU on that and approx how many requests it can handle per day/per month?

@electroasd- you mentioned about a typical news Wordpress based site handling 50,000 requests per day-- can you tell me what will be the RAM/CPU (number of cores and processing power per core) on that server?

I basically want to get a fair idea... Also, can either of you (or anyone reading this post) suggest a method to actually measure the load a server can handle? Can i do some kind of load testing to check till what number of page views the server works? That should give me a fair idea?

Thanks,
    Arvind.

• electroasd

@Arvind As I tell you it is very very difficult to measure that? And I think there is no point to do that.

What do you want to measure exactly. How many request at the same time can handled a server? I don't think you have more than 3-4 at the same second. Let's say 5 request per second. That's means that you have 432000 request per day. It's very very big number.

I think a share hosting with 30-50 euros per year, can handle 3000 visits per day. If you have more, that mean that you should go to vcloud server with 80-100 per year(maybe more). And If you have more that 8000-10000 visits per day, you should go to dedicated server with an average cost of 100 euros per month.

Don't loose time to do crash test on server to see if it is good or not.

This is my opinion. It doesn't mean that is correct. But what i just wrote is my experience from my hosting clients. I have client with 3000 unique visitors per day and it has a share hosting package without a problem.

• aecnu

Greetings Arvind,

Thank you for the additional question and there is no way for me to measure or predict this information.

I do know this though, I believe I provide possibly the highest performance hosting on the planet via our proprietary configurations and considering that many of the support staff host with me and many many members, and there is not a single negative comment about my hosting, I would have to say that I am certainly doing something right :slight_smile:

Folks have asked for "real" reviews because of the reviews by members hosting with me seemed too good to be true - those same reviews remain as they are and to date nobody even responded that I am aware of with anything contrary.

As I mentioned, it is indeed a small investment to test it out and certainly as sure as Mark De Scande found out after six months of procrastinating, I indeed talked the talk and walked the walk to this very day.

I do not know what more to be said or offered then that.

Thank you again for your question and when those crushing Xeon processors hit the site based on our proprietary OS configuration, you will know exactly what I mean.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.