etsy type site

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I am curious if anyone has successfully created an etsy.com clone site using marketpress and multiuser set-up.

If yes, please add a link so I can see how it worked out and also I would really appreciate a few bullet points on the process of getting it up and running.

I know there are several people trying to do something similar but I have not found anyone that actually has a site like this up and running with many products and sellers. it seems that most people are in the process of trying to get it done - like me.

any help is really appreciated.

thanks in advance,

biorn

• biornt

yup - that's pretty much how it works.

However, while a "normal" multi-user WP set up will allow each new "user" to have his own blog, product and whatever else, the user can also customize the look (depending on the themes the admin has made available).

what we want to do is to limit what the user can to with the look and feel of the site, and also limit some features.

basically we do not want the user to be able to make any edits to any theme or header; so when the user creates his site - everything will look just like the main site and no edits available. this is possible via the default theme plugin, but requires of course that the default theme is set up the way you want it.

we do also want to exclude the ability to blog or create pages. Only adding products would be the only option.

and we want to make sure that any product added by a user, will be added to the main site (kind of like istockphotos)

however, i would like to see what anyone else have done with creating an etsy (or istockphotos) style site, so if anyone has any links to live sites with lots of products and users, that would be really great.

thanks again for chiming in here.

• Arun Basil Lal

Let me try and break it down:

However, while a "normal" multi-user WP set up will allow each new "user" to have his own blog, product and whatever else, the user can also customize the look (depending on the themes the admin has made available).

what we want to do is to limit what the user can to with the look and feel of the site, and also limit some features.

Limiting features will be possible with Pro Sites, but am not sure if it is the solution for you, Give it a try anyway: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites

basically we do not want the user to be able to make any edits to any theme or header; so when the user creates his site - everything will look just like the main site and no edits available. this is possible via the default theme plugin, but requires of course that the default theme is set up the way you want it.

Multisite users cannot do this unless you provide those options in your theme. Just provide only the themes you want and there is very little they can do.

we do also want to exclude the ability to blog or create pages. Only adding products would be the only option.

I think this plugin can make this happen for you: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/advanced-access-manager/

and we want to make sure that any product added by a user, will be added to the main site (kind of like istockphotos)

MarketPress has a Global shortcode [mp_list_global_products]. Using this you can show all products on the main site. You can see the details and optional parameters in your network admin > Settings > MarketPress

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

• Saunt Valerian

I've been running one pretty much since MarketPress was released. In fact, I think mine was one of the very first handful of Marketpress based multisites.

You can see it here: http://teatra.de

While there are a lot of plugins, the core of it is BuddyPress/MarketPress/Pro-Sites.

Blogging is free, to sell, I use Pro-Sites to sell access to MarketPress (Which I've renamed Tea Trade Markets). This upgrades the blogs into stores. Products get added automatically to the marketplace. Currently we are using PayPal's Chained Payments to take 6% of each sale transaction from the sellers. We also offer a higher Pro-Sites level that opens up other Payment gateways so that sellers with tight margins can avoid paying us the per transaction fee.

All in all, I think the system works pretty well. When compared to Etsy, one of the biggest disadvantages you get is that each individual store is it's own website. I'm not referring to the unique domain name, I'm referring to the fact that the individual stores are themed and setup by the sellers themselves (who usually don't know much about setting up a website). As we all know that web design has a huge impact on sales conversions, so the poorly designed and laid out sites don't sell as well as they should, even when the products they offer are good.

I get around this a little bit by selling store design and configuration services to my members. When they want a good looking store, I charge them about $300 and set it up for them. I'll install a premium theme, customize according to their needs, add stock photos and so forth. It helps me increase sales for them, and since I get a touch of the profits, when they increase in sales, I increase in income.

• Arun Basil Lal

Hello Saunt,

That is one fine site you have there. Is your site featured in our showcase?

We haven't updated the showcase yet to the new theme, but I bet you have seen it before.

If you are interested, get in touch via the contact form : https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact

Do mention the main WPMU Dev plugins you are using on your site and a little description about your project :slight_smile:

One of us will review your site and who knows? Someday soon it will be featured!

Good luck!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.