Event Countdown Display In Strange Format

When I try to display the upcoming event countdown via shortcode it shows up in a strange format line under line with digits above the related line. Can I configure the format to display the countdown?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Ruediger,

Hope you are well today!

I tested this out on my own installation and the format worked fine. I'm wondering if maybe this is a theme conflict. Could you try switching out to the default 2012 theme temporarily?

It could also be a plugin conflict, I see you have quite a few plugins so to test this it may be easiest to go through FTP. Simply, re-name the plugins folder to "plugins-deactive" or something like that then test the front page again. This will do a "soft-deactivation" - all your settings will stay as long as you don't visit your plugins page - that will cause them to hard deactivate. Before visiting your plugins page in the admin make sure you re-name the folder back to "plugins". Then everything will be good to go again.

Let us know if this turns up anything! If not, we'll continue to troubleshoot until we get this resolved :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Tyler

• Rod

Hi Tyler,

a plugin conflict always is an option, especially because I am working and testing with so many of them. But maybe we should consider an important detail. The countdown was displayed well until the latest event was over last Sunday. Then it disappeared and when I setup the shortcode for the next event the issue appeared. Maybe it is because I use this shortcode with instances right now. Before it was only the [event_countdown] shortcode. But using this now only shows up with display 'closed'. May be we should investigate this before the plugin's deactivating option.

Thanks and just let me know

Ruediger

• Rod

Hi Ari,

it does work on future event but displays line under line. And it worked on the expired event and displayed on a single line as it should be. That is what I see without changing any configuration. The only difference is that I used the [event_countdown] with the expired event and [[event_countdown id="1" event_id="20983" id="2" event_id="20991"]] with instances for future events. When I only use the [event_shortcode] for future events it only displays 'closed'. Any idea?

Thanks
    Ruediger

• Tyler Postle

Hey Ruediger,

Hope you're well today!

I just spent some more time testing this out and there does appear to be an issue, it's not just you :p

My [event_countdown] wouldn't format correctly in the sidebar unless I had another [event_countdown] in the event description area. Very odd!

I have attached pictures to illustrate this, maybe test this on your installation too just to confirm :slight_smile: either way, I have notified the developer and this should be resolved in a future update.

When/if you test it you will have to make sure that at least one of the shortcodes has a specified id otherwise they both won't show up.

*Note: I notice you have 2 id's and 2 event_id's in 1 [event_countdown] shortcode, that won't make any difference because it can only do 1 countdown at a time per code. The id tag is to differentiate 1 shortcode from the next if both are placed on the same page. If you wanted to display both those event countdowns on one page you could have 1 with id=1 and event_id=20983 then another one that has id=2 and event_id=20991. Then both would work on the same page. However, I don't believe that is related to the issue we have here.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Ruediger!

Let us know if you manage to test that out as well.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Rod

Hi Tyler,

I have added a regular page just with the event shortcode. But it does not display the countdown. Much to my suprise it displays the countdown in the sidebar widget correctly now. But I have no clue what could be the reason.

The only thing I can say that I added this code into the funtions.php file shortly before to disable the autosave function of WP:

add_action( 'admin_init', 'disable_autosave' );
    function disable_autosave() {
    wp_deregister_script( 'autosave' );
    }

But I cannot imagine this has an influence on the display format of the countdown. Hope that helps.

Ruediger

• Tyler Postle

Hey Ruedigger,

Thanks for checking that! If the two shortcodes are both using the same id parameter or no id parameter then one of them won't show. If you set one to id=1 and the other to id=2 then they should both show; however, the sidebar will only stay formatted correctly when the other shortcode is present. Once you take that shortcode out of the event description then the sidebar one breaks - very weird! At any rate, I have notified the developer so a fix should be on the way soon :slight_smile:

Thanks again for testing that.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Rod

Hi Tyler,

thanks points. As we got some results I thought I'll give it a try and see how countdowns get displayed in the main menu. So if anybody uses UberMenu it is possible to create one menu item per countdown and just throw the related shortcode in the custom content section of the plugin's admin panel. You can see it published on the mikehalder.com website and can take a look at the appearence>menu section where the items can be edited. Access is still granted to the backend.

Thanks for the support. It was a pleasure to work this out. I'll mark this issue as resolved.

All the best

Ruediger

• Vladislav

Hello,

As for the shortcode result appearance in the widget, the underlying problem is that the shortcode is primarily meant to be used within posts. Using it in a widget (or, more broadly, outside a post) could result in some of the dependencies not being loaded, which is what's happening here. To work around this, a bit of code like this could solve the issue:

function my_eab_enqueue_style_dependencies () {
    	wp_enqueue_style('jquery-countdown',plugins_url('events-and-bookings/css/').'jquery.countdown.css');
    }
    add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', 'my_eab_enqueue_style_dependencies');

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.