Event date defaults to 1 January 1970

I have a site for a corporate client setup behind a firewall and pretty locked down server. Occasionally, in Events+ when an event is published, the start and end dates both end up being 1 January 1970.

I know this is Unix Time, but I can't account for the concessional instance when this happens. The publish date for the event is correct, it is just the when dates that end up being wrong. Since it is so inconsistent, I don't immediately suspect a plugin conflict.

How does Events+ handle these dates? Have you guys heard of this issue happening before? Any thoughts on why it might be happening?

• Jude

Howdy Saunt Valerian

How are you entering the date, could you check this post by the lead dev here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/recurring-events-defaulting-to-jan-1-1970#post-462170

It's similar in that it results in a 1970 date. Ii could be how you're inputting the the date there, and how it appears after it's saved?

Also is this specific to IE or across the board ? and do you have the Local Timezone add on turned on ?

Cheers
    Jude

• Saunt Valerian

Jude Thanks for pointing me to that thread, reading that reply got me thinking so I did some more testing.

I can now report a bug in this, you should be able to test this out on one of you installs to confirm this. When entering the date and time for the event, if the times are entered in a format without the colon separating the hours and minutes, then the time-date for the event is saved as Unix Time (1 Jan, 1970 00:00:00) probably because the plugin just couldn't read the time as it was written.

Interestingly, for this particular site, the client is a large organization which not only uses the 24-hour clock for time, but time is often expressed without the use of the colon. A typical time expression for this organization is simply 0830, 1145, or 1535. I expect we aren't the only people who type it this way.

Wouldn't it be possible to put an input mask on the input field so that when 3 or 4 digits are entered, the colon is automatically placed? When selecting a date for the date field, the dashes are automatically pre-populated, couldn't the time fields do something similar to ensure the colon is properly placed. Alternatively, instead of forcing the field to populate with a colon, could the plugin be modified to read a 3 or 4 digit time correctly, even when it doesn't have a colon in it?

I didn't test the time inputs for AM/PM so I can't say I understand how the plugin interprets other types of time inputs.

Anyhow, I do think this is a general usability issue and hope that you consider this a bug and something to be looked in for a future update.

• Luís

Hi Saunt Valerian ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Firstly, sorry for our late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

That bug was already reported, when we enter the event hour without a semicolon (i.e "8" or "08" ) it displays that behaviour (the date is saved as 1 Jan, 1970 00:00:00).

Our developers are aware and working to fix it, however, I will ping them to see if it's possible to include the minutes too, so we can insert the minutes without the semicolon (i.e "0830" or "830").

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.