Event + Events are not formatting correctly. Content

Event + Events are not formatting correctly. Content doesn't seem to recognize paragraph breaks nor my themes short codes. This is very frustrating and more frustrating is that I posted a similar issue and after one response I haven't heard anything. I'm trying to release dog training course on our pubic site so people cannot sign up. We are losing monies waiting and if I need to use another plugin then just let me know.

Please visit my site http://www.freedog.us/event click on the event and see that just general text isn't formatting correctly.

ps: my theme is dynamix

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @freedog,

Thank you for your question.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having bad experiences with our support.

The link that you have shared http://www.freedog.us/event displays "404 page not found" error.
    Can you just share me the correct link so that i can help you in it?
    Is this a same problem you are having here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/events-having-issues-with-format-function ?

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @freedog,

Thank you for the reply.

Event + Events are not formatting correctly. Content doesn't seem to recognize paragraph breaks nor my themes short codes

Correct me if i have misunderstood anything but I checked your page http://www.freedog.us/events/2013/11/restricted-hours-2-0/ and found the event content is recognizing paragraph. Is the default WordPress shortcdes are working fine in the event content like [gallery] ?

Have you tried solution posted here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/events-having-issues-with-format-function#post-550759

Best Regards,

• freedog

Ok I solved the issue of formatting by turning on visual composer for events. Here is the problems it didn't fix.

1) I've checked the box to turn off comments - it does nothing the comment section of the page is still there after I log out as admin.

2) I activated the weekly plug in so I could control the content shown when hovering over the event - it does nothing. The date is still the only thing showing.

3) I used the css code given to hide the buttons for joining the event and again nothing. I put this code into my template CSS, into the recommended plugin CSS and lastly into my child CSS - it didn't fix anything.

4) I would really like to use newer styled calendar and to be able to embed a training calendar on my one page and a fund raiser calendar on another without having to write code. Any thoughts on how to make this happen? Is there a full calendar plugin or template?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Jen,

Awesome, great to see you got formatting issue fixed.

1) I've checked the box to turn off comments - it does nothing the comment section of the page is still there after I log out as admin.

I checked it by turning off comments on my test site using WordPress default theme Twenty Twelve and it worked fine.
    Can you just check it using any WordPress default theme like Twenty Twelve? if it works fine then check your current theme for comments code in single.php template file which handles displaying comments on the single event page.

2) I activated the weekly plug in so I could control the content shown when hovering over the event - it does nothing. The date is still the only thing showing.

Let me know which weekly plugin you are using so that i can help you in it.

3) I used the css code given to hide the buttons for joining the event and again nothing. I put this code into my template CSS, into the recommended plugin CSS and lastly into my child CSS - it didn't fix anything.

Which CSS code are you talking about? Please provide me the reference.

4) I would really like to use newer styled calendar and to be able to embed a training calendar on my one page and a fund raiser calendar on another without having to write code. Any thoughts on how to make this happen? Is there a full calendar plugin or template?

What do you mean by newer styled calendar? Please explain your question a bit more in detail.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• freedog

4) Modern Tribe's calendar is a nicer looking calendar with hover options to see image, title and just enough information (they auto re-size the images in hover code). They allow us to filter a calendar so that on our training page only training events show and on our fundraiser page only the fundraiser events show.. On our main calendar / event page they have a cool way of displaying categories (if we want) with the color code based on Category - it allows our end users to click the category and only showing those.

3) here is the link https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/is-there-a-way-to-have-an-event-that-doesnt-have-attendees#post-547652

I have things on our calendar like our holiday and weekend hours which I don't want the attend buttons to show.. there should be a simple way of clicking off this option when creating an event. without having to write css

2) I was told if I active the Weekly Event Calendar within the event plugin that I would have the ability to have some hover capabilities within your calender views - ps: I would like it to have hover in monthly, weekly and daily views - the calendar should allow my user to switch between these views easily.

1) I haven't test the default theme because my site is live & is my company website.
    Comments on all non-event pages, post and such are working fine. So I'm not sure what to ask my theme provider?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Jen,

4) Modern Tribe's calendar is a nicer looking calendar with hover options to see image, title and just enough information (they auto re-size the images in hover code). They allow us to filter a calendar so that on our training page only training events show and on our fundraiser page only the fundraiser events show.. On our main calendar / event page they have a cool way of displaying categories (if we want) with the color code based on Category - it allows our end users to click the category and only showing those.

Unfortunately, it is not currently available but there is already a feature request for it and this feature may be added in future version of plugin.

3) here is the link https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/is-there-a-way-to-have-an-event-that-doesnt-have-attendees#post-547652

I have things on our calendar like our holiday and weekend hours which I don't want the attend buttons to show.. there should be a simple way of clicking off this option when creating an event. without having to write css

Please continue it on the thread https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/is-there-a-way-to-have-an-event-that-doesnt-have-attendees by reopening it and asking the question there as @Patrick Cohen is already aware of this thing and he can help you better in it.

2) I was told if I active the Weekly Event Calendar within the event plugin that I would have the ability to have some hover capabilities within your calender views - ps: I would like it to have hover in monthly, weekly and daily views - the calendar should allow my user to switch between these views easily.

I didn't find any options for users to switch between these views therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advise for us.

1) I haven't test the default theme because my site is live & is my company website.
    Comments on all non-event pages, post and such are working fine. So I'm not sure what to ask my theme provider?

Can you send me your admin credentials please?
    - Send an email using our secure contact form on https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    - Select "I have a different question" from the dropdown
    - On the subject enter "Attn: Vinod Dalvi".
    - Include the URL of this post in your message so that I may track this issue better
    - Include a link to your website
    - Include your admin credentials (username + password)
    - Include FTP Details

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• jbsv1

Any update on the item: 2) I was told if I active the Weekly Event Calendar within the event plugin that I would have the ability to have some hover capabilities within your calender views - ps: I would like it to have hover in monthly, weekly and daily views - the calendar should allow my user to switch between these views easily.

I also need to show something such as a portion of the event detail rather than the event date and location when hovering over the date.

• Vladislav

Hi,

If you're using the monthly calendar shortcode ([eab_calendar]), you can use the "with_thumbnail", "default_thumbnail", "show_excerpt" and "excerpt_length" arguments in addition to any other arguments to customize the way your hover output appears. There are more usage details for each of the arguments on the "Shortcodes" page.

Also, if you're using the weekly event calendar add-on, you will be able to select what will be output on hover in the plugin settings page, in the "Weekly Event Calendar settings" section.

• jbsv1

Thank you for providing this information to us. We attempted to these attributes that you mentioned. However, they do not appear to have any effect on the Weekly calendar display. We are using the syntax: [eab_calendar show_excerpt="yes"].
    We do know that at least some of the calendar shortcode, Tag: [eab_calendar] attributes work because we are able to use: [eab_calendar navigation="yes" title_format="F, Y"]
    Also, we noticed that the attributes that you mentioned such as show_excerpt , are actually listed under the Event map shortcode: Tag: [eab_events_map] as opposed to the calendar shortcode, Tag: [eab_calendar] area. So it is because they are only able to be used in map? Also there was not any "excerpt_length" attribute listed.
    Do you have any additional recommendations?

I am also including some pictures that may be helpful in further clarifying what we are attempting to accomplish. It also includes a screenshot from the events calendar plugin, which shows more about what we are looking for with the Events + plugin. One more note. We also tried enabling the weekly event calendar add-on, you will be able to select what will be output on hover in the plugin settings page, in the "Weekly Event Calendar settings" section. However, this did not seem to make any difference in the appearence either,

• Vladislav

Hi,

I have just tried the very same shortcode form ([eab_calendar show_excerpt="yes"]), and this is the result I got: https://www.dropbox.com/s/16a0etypttmt54q/2014-07-29-15-50.png Can you please confirm the plugin version you're using? The "show_excerpt" shortcode attribute for the calendar shortcode got introduced in v1.7.3 so earlier versions won't make use of the attribute.

Also, it's worth noting that the default calendar shortcode and Weekly Event Calendar add-on are different. The Weekly Event Calendar add-on exposes a whole new shortcode ([weekly_event_calendar]), that should be affected by its settings.

• jbsv1

Vladislav, Thank you, this was very helpful. We were using version 1.7.2. We just upgraded to the newest version 1.7.5 and now with the [eab_calendar show_excerpt="yes"] attribute added we now finally see the excerpts. Thank you again.

Just one other item. You had mentioned one other item: "the "excerpt_length" arguments in addition to any other arguments to customize the way your hover output appears." We did not see that listed as one of the new attributes. Could you please tell me how we could use this? We tried adding something such as excerpt_length=1 just to see if it would limit the display only 1 line or even 1 character. However, it did neither.

• Vinod Dalvi

Just one other item. You had mentioned one other item: "the "excerpt_length" arguments in addition to any other arguments to customize the way your hover output appears." We did not see that listed as one of the new attributes.

I have notified this to the plugin developer so that it will be mentioned in the plugin shortcodes page.

Could you please tell me how we could use this? We tried adding something such as excerpt_length=1 just to see if it would limit the display only 1 line or even 1 character.

Yes it should limit the excerpt to the only one character for you.

Could you please try using the latest version of Events + plugin?

I have tested it on my test site and found it's working but there is an issue in it. It is displaying number of characters from each paragraph of the event content and not just number of characters for the whole event content.

Example :

Shortcode:
      [eab_calendar show_excerpt="yes" excerpt_length=3]

Event Content:

Praes ac sem eget est 

Cras dapibus. Sed mollis

Morbi mattis ullamcorper velit.

Event Excerpt:
      Pra Cra Mor

I have notified the plugin developer about it so that it can be fixed.