Event plugin questions (from original event thread)

Hello,

I posted these questions in the original "Events' post but it was suggested that we create seperate threads, so here it is!

I am working with the Event plugin and the Google Map plugin and have a few questions.

Here is a link to look at which shows my issues...

http://cyclistzone.com/vozcycling/events/2012/03/trabuco-san-juan-caspers-coto/

Note: The link above might have 2 maps on it as I am trying to get the map in the sidebar at the moment. The attached graphic shows only the map in the post.

Questions:
1) The map in the post will not zoom in to City level no matter what I do.

2) I would actually like to remove the map from below the post and place the map for the event in the sidebar for the event, but I cannot figure out where the sidebar is for Events. Do I create an Event template or a new page for each event?

3) When an event is completed, i.e. it is now monday and the event was sunday, does it auto-close the event?

4) Anyway to remove the "Created by" label on the event?

5) I created an "Events" page like was suggested in the original "Events" post. The events are now displayed, but the description text contains "View event" and "NoMaybeI'mAttending" text that is not part of the description as in: (see attachement)

View eventOn March 10, 2012 from 7:30 am to 1:00 pm Rancho Santa Margarita, CANoMaybeI’m Attending

Got to say I am loving this plugin. I spent a lot of time in the past couple weeks looking for this type of plugin and must say the timing is excellent.

Thanks,
Rhek

• Arun Basil Lal

Hello rhek

First of all, thanks for the compliments on the plugin, I bet our developer would be so glad to hear that from you!

Lets get to it one by one:

1) The map in the post will not zoom in to City level no matter what I do.

The map is supposed to show the exact way you set it in the "Add Map" dialog box. I know you might have tried this, but let me check if you got this right. I just tried this out now, over and over, it worked for me.

Go the post with the map. Open up the "Add Map" dialog box. Edit the map that you have shown there. Now using the mouse or the "+" buttons on screen zoom into the city level that you want. Click on "Save Changes to this Map" and update the post. This should normally work.

2) I would actually like to remove the map from below the post and place the map for the event in the sidebar for the event, but I cannot figure out where the sidebar is for Events. Do I create an Event template or a new page for each event?

The event page uses the widgets from your normal sidebar, unless you are using the full width template. Inside your dashboard, go to Appearance > Widgets and add the Google Maps Widget. Select the option, "Use maps from" "Current Posts" (radio buttons, see the screenshot 1)

For this to work, you have to tick "Associate map with this post" in the Map Options (you will see Map Options in the Add Map Dialog Box inside the event editor)

3) When an event is completed, i.e. it is now monday and the event was sunday, does it auto-close the event?

Very good point, but sadly it doesn't auto-close at the moment. This is a feature you can expect in the next release of the plugin. As of now, you have to close it manually.

4) Anyway to remove the "Created by" label on the event?

Find attached a custom template for the event page. Unzip it and upload the three files to your theme folder: /wp-content/themes/sport_grunge/ using FTP. The files single-incsub_event.php archive-incsub_event.php and events.css should be in the same folder as your style.css

Now this custom template will be used by the plugin and the Appearance Settings (under the Event Settings) will dissapear.

I have removed the "created by" label from the template. I have assumed that your theme uses sidebar.php for the sidebar (which is the usual way), but if it is not and the sidebar doesn't show up, let me know.

5) I created an "Events" page like was suggested in the original "Events" post. The events are now displayed, but the description text contains "View event" and "NoMaybeI'mAttending" text that is not part of the description as in: (see attachement)

I am not clear with what you want here. Are you referring to the screenshot Voz1? And you want the No, Maybe and Attending to be just above the description? is that what you want? As of now, this is how the plugin is made, but if you want that I can help you do that in the custom template I am sending you. If you understand code, you can checkout single-incsub_event.php and move it around :slight_smile:

I hope I have answered your questions really well. Am gonna go ahead and mark this thread as resolved for now, but if you want any more help, let it be anything, feel free to ask, am here to help :slight_smile:

Good Luck!
    Arun Basil Lal

• Tien

Hello,
    Thanks for the quick reply.

1) That works! I was looking for a dropdown like in the Google Map plugin’s setting page. I just overlooked the “+” button thinking it was just part of the map and not for setting up the map’s zoom while setting the map up.

2) I tried this but could only get one map to display in the sidebar. If I have 10 events I would like each event to have its own unique map and only that map in the sidebar.

3) Thanks for the update!

4) Thanks! You went above and beyond here!

5) Take a look at the previous post attachement voz2.png. See the white text under the red heading. The text starts with “View event On” and ends with “NoMaybeI’mAttending”. I am not sure where the “View event On” text is coming from but the “NoMaybeI’mAttending” text is the text that are in the 3 buttons for rsvp’ing.

I have got to say your replies were very complete and professional and quite helpful. I expect to have more questions on this plugin and others as time goes on. Everyone at WPMU seems to be very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. I think you would fit in just right.

Thanks again!
    Rhek

• Arun Basil Lal

Hello Rhek,

Thank you so much for the feedback, means much to me! Feel free to ask away any questions, the team works so hard to get everything answered and done! In fact, I am amazed by how dedicated the developers and designers are. Everyone is super cool in here :slight_smile:

(I wanted to save what I just said towards the end, but I was so happy that I couldn't hold it, back to your questions)

2) I tried this but could only get one map to display in the sidebar. If I have 10 events I would like each event to have its own unique map and only that map in the sidebar.

Suppose you have 10 events. Each event will have its own map (You have to tick "Associate map with this post" from the map options for each post)
    Now when the event page is loaded, the sidebar widget will look for the map associated with the current event and show it, that is how it is supposed to work, if you choose "Use Maps From - Current Posts" in the widget settings.

Its not working so for you?

5) Take a look at the previous post attachement voz2.png. See the white text under the red heading. The text starts with “View event On” and ends with “NoMaybeI’mAttending”.

I see that now, yes! I tried it on a test install and its there too. I will ask the developer to take care of this, because every user might be facing this issue. You can expect this fixed (and I heard he is working on a lot more new features) in the next update!

Let me know if you have more to ask :slight_smile:

Arun Basil Lal

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.