Events+: categories not showing up

We have installed Events+. Everything is working well except the categories are not showing up.

We added a few categories to the plugin. When we go to add an event, and go to the bottom where the is a drop down box for the categories, the box is blank.

We are using the latest versions and WordPress, BuddyPress, and Events+.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Allan

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hello there Allan!

Are you using any other plugins that may be causing a conflict?

Are they just not showing up in the editor?

Are you able to add them in the Categories list?

Is this from the front end with the Buddypress capabilities enabled?

if you could share a few more details about your setup i'd be glad to try and replicate the issue.

Best,

Kimberly

• allanmcnabb
    • New Recruit

Thanks for helping Kimberly!

I have deactivated all plugins, and still have the same problem. And I have switched temporarily to the default BuddyPress theme, and still have the problem.

We are able to add Events in the backend Admin panel, and the Categories list appears there. We can select a category, and the listing appears with the category in the frontend listing. An example is here that I'll keep up for a little while (http://lol-lutz-wc.ourtownplus.com/events/2012/10/test-events-arts-and-culture/), "Test Events Arts and Culture" with the Category showing in the listing.

So, the system is working, except the categories can't be selected when adding an event on the front end. The drop down list for categories is blank on the front end editor.

FYI: The option BuddyPress: My Events is activated, and Front-page editing is activated. There is no problem adding events from the frontend, except for categories.

I'll be happy to send you info by email to login to the site as a user if you would like.

Thanks for your help!

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

To confirm, I have managed to replicate the issue with empty Event categories not showing on the front end, and managed to track down the bug that caused this. I'm attaching a Beta version which, among other changes and fixes, has a fix for this issue.

If you'd rather scope the update to this issue only and wait for a stable release for other features (the change for this is relatively simple), here's how to do that. In your plugin directory, there is a file "lib/plugins/eab-events-front_page_editing.php". Open that file and navigate to the line 432, that says:

$all_cats = get_terms('eab_events_category');

and change that line to this:

$all_cats = get_terms('eab_events_category', array('hide_empty' => false));

Of course, that's only if you'd rather change just this. If you want to install the attached update instead, there's no need to change anything yourself.

• allanmcnabb
    • New Recruit

Hi Vladislav,

Thanks. I installed the beta update. The categories work on the front end.

The only remaining problem I an having, which you may not have seen on a different post, is the the "Events" tab in the top nav does not change when hovered or activated.

This is the case whether I have the BuddyPress default theme activated or my child theme.

Please let me know if there is a solution to this.

Thanks!
    Allan

• allanmcnabb
    • New Recruit

Update:

I just now did an experiment to try and find the problem regarding the top nav, and here are the results.

- I disabled the Events+ plugin.

- I deleted the page /events, and created page /event. The page worked fine, and the top nav worked properly.

- I enabled the plugin and changed the slug to /event.

- The page displays the events, but the top nav does not work, just like before.

I hope this helps!

If you come up with a fix, I would appreciate receiving it!

Thanks again!
    Allan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.