Events + Category Pages missing stylized buttons

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a category page with the Events + plugin, and it seems to be missing the nice stylized buttons. Here's the category page: http://ecrp.pottervilla.com/events/fair/ and here's the normal events page: http://ecrp.pottervilla.com/events/2012/07/ .

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug?

- Jonathan

• Jonathan Potter
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hakan,

Yes, this is the default Twenty Eleven theme.

I did not have "Override default appearance" checked, but I did try checking it to no avail. Both "Archive Template" and "Single Event Template" are set to "Plugin: Default"

It looks nice on the normal events listing, but the category listing is still missing the extra style.

I did try a couple of the other options for "Archive Template": Plugin: Calendar doesn't deliver the desired effect (only shows one month). Plugin: Full Width displays the buttons correctly, but removes the sidebar and appears to center the RSVP buttons. The Theme specific options don't seem to do much.

Thanks for your help!

- Jonathan

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi,

Maybe you haven't noticed but there is a note "templates may not work in all themes" beside the fields.

In the first screenshot please see what I get for a event category page (/events/category-name/) with a setting plugin:Full Width in 2011 theme.

In the second one you can see what I get with an event archive page (/events/) with a setting Plugin:smiley:efault in 2011 theme.

So it works for 2011 theme.

You have to check and see which one actually fits to your theme. If none fits, you may still need to edit the template (files inside default-templates folder).

As you will probably agree that there are thousands of themes in the market and we cannot make it work for all of the themes.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• Jonathan Potter

Hakan,

I'm complaining about how the plugin works with 2011 on my install, not the custom theme I'm working on. This is a development site, and I've been actively working on it on the last 3 hours or so.

I've changed the theme back to 2011, could you take another look? The problem is the same. http://ecrp.pottervilla.com/events/fair/ doesn't have the applied styles.

Since you guys seem to operate in screenshots, here's how it looks for me.

- Jonathan

Note: I've disabled the "maybe" button by adding display: none; to the CSS. No other changes.

• Jonathan Potter

Actually, I'm afraid I need to put my custom theme back up to continue development. Do look at the screenshots, though.

And could you possibly explain why the event category page and the event archive page don't look the same when set to the same archive template? The screenshots you shared are changing two variables, the archive template and the page viewed. So I can only assume that the pages aren't the same.

- Jonathan

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi Jonathan,

I see that it is not working for plugin:smiley:efault, but it works for plugin:Full Width as I wrote above. Did you try that?

Once more:

templates may not work in all themes

Just copy contents of plugins/events-and-bookings/css/front.css to the css file of the theme to make it work for plugin:smiley:efault too.

However, it is not so much important that it works for 2011. Does it work for your actual theme? That is the point, am I wrong?

Cheers,
    Hakan

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi

And could you possibly explain why the event category page and the event archive page don't look the same when set to the same archive template? The screenshots you shared are changing two variables, the archive template and the page viewed. So I can only assume that the pages aren't the same.

You are right about this. That is because being a custom post, an event category is not like the other standard WP categories. Custom post type categories are "category-like" taxonomies which may not have been defined in the theme.

I am not sure if there is a permanent solution for this yet, because Wordpress developers (I mean those who are developing Wordpress core files) themselves behave custom post types differently. This is a discussion which didn't arrive to a conclusion yet.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• Jonathan Potter

It will work in my theme, because I will make it work. But that's not the point.

Plugin: Full Width doesn't give me the layout I want, though the buttons work. And that's not the point either.

Unless I'm completely misreading the situation, the point is that the Events + plugin's default styling on the default wordpress theme for category pages is broken.

Tell me if I'm mistaken--I don't mind being wrong, at all.

- Jonathan

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi Jonathan,

That's right.

Plugin:smiley:efault does not work (does not load its css file) for an event category page in 2011 theme.

A workaround is copying the css rules to the css file of your theme.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Hakan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.