Events+ - creating a custom template

Hi,

I am fairly new to Wordpress coding and was hoping someone could provide a little assistance.

We are using a premium theme and the theme is using single.php to display the event detail page. The main problem is that single.php is displaying the event detail twice. I don't want to modify single.php so I want to create a template based on single.php, or at least I think I do.

I am not sure where I would put this template and I am not sure if there are any naming conventions or how to tell Events+ to use the template.

Could someone provide some steps for me to follow to accomplish this? Coding is not necessary, just some steps on what to do.

Thanks,
Rhek

• Tien

Thanks for the replies,

The Event templates (default and full width) don't play nicely with the theme. The colors and alignment are all messed up. If I don't override appearance or do and select the calendar template we get what we want, but the event detail is duplicated.

So would I start with the calendar single event template or single.php, as the theme developer suggested? Where would I put the template and would my template be deleted with each update of Events+?

Thanks,
    Rhek

• aecnu

Greetings Rhek,

Thank you for bringing this item to our attention.

I am not aware of what you were referring to as the theme developer suggested?

Is the theme developer a WPMU DEV developer or?

I am trying to get a handle on what they indicated because it is their creation and certainly they would know the best practice.

Where would I put the template and would my template be deleted with each update of Events+?

I would have to say yes to the deletion though you could indeed keep a copy on your local computer.

Regarding the place, though I do not know what the theme author had in mind, it would normally be placed in the same place as the others/original page came from but with a different name.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Tien

Hi,

Theme developer is just a guy we got the theme from, no affiliation with WPMU. He suggested I create a template based on single.php but in looking around I think I should start with a copy of the calendar folder and rename it to voztemplate and then modify archive-incsub_event.php. But if I do that then I lose the folder each time I upgrade the plugin, or so I think I do.

I would always have a backup of the folder to reload, just kind of a pain to do that each time.

My php is not exceptional so I was looking for a bit of guidance before jumping in.

Thanks,
    Rhek

• aecnu

Greetings Rhek,

Thank you for the feedback and detailed input.

Theme developer is just a guy we got the theme from, no affiliation with WPMU.

Shoot I was hoping that it was one of ours so that we could get a handle on the issue/challenge this will be.

He suggested I create a template based on single.php but in looking around I think I should start with a copy of the calendar folder and rename it to voztemplate and then modify archive-incsub_event.php.

This is a great idea and thank you for posting it and let us know how it works out if you indeed implement it.

But if I do that then I lose the folder each time I upgrade the plugin, or so I think I do.

If it is within the Events + native folder it may very well happen just that way, but you might want to try permissioning this particular folder and the files within 444 read only and that may very well stop possible deletion.

My php is not exceptional so I was looking for a bit of guidance before jumping in.

I hear you and therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Vladislav

Hello,

There is a way to create a template based on the default ones that come with the plugin, and keep it across plugin updates too. You can just copy over the "archive-incsub_event.php" and "single-incsub_event.php" files you want to use to your theme's root directory and edit them to suit your needs.

If you'd rather start off from your theme's files instead, you can just create the files with those names - the "archive-incsub_event.php" will control your Events archives (so you can, for an example, base it off of your theme's archive template), and "single-incsub_event.php" will control your single Event appearance. You can, of course, base your new templates off your current theme's ones, but you'll probably want to have a look into the default plugin templates to see how to output the event-specific data (e.g. start/end dates, location information etc).

• aecnu

Greetings Rhek,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed with the lead developers input, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.