Events + db/SQL error after WP3.5 upgrade (from 3.4)

After upgrading to Wordpress 3.5.1 and re-enabling Events +, I am getting the following SQL/db error message at the footer of the wp-admin:

WordPress database error BLOB/TEXT column 'meta_value' can't have a default value for query CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS wp_eab_booking_meta ( id BIGINT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, booking_id BIGINT NOT NULL , meta_key VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL , meta_value TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', PRIMARY KEY (id), KEY booking_id (booking_id), KEY meta_key (meta_key) ) ENGINE = InnoDB DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci made by require_once('E:\inetpub\vs239247\wp-admin\admin.php'), do_action('admin_init'), call_user_func_array, Eab_EventsHub->admin_init, Eab_EventsHub->install, dbDelta

• aecnu

Greetings KJA,

Sorry to see that you are having an issue with your WordPress installation and the Event+ plugin which I cannot replicate on my production server environment.

Though you mentioned that you have upgraded to WordPress 3.5.1, you never mentioned what version of Events+ you are running therefore I ask, what version of Events+ is installed on your WordPress installation?

Also have you tried to once again to deactivate and then activate the plugin again?

I did in fact do this on my installation just as a test to see if I could replicate the issue.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• KJA

Hi Joe,

I am running the latest version (1.5.3) on a multi-site network, with only a single site (so far).

I have tried de/re-activating and no change.

I even tried completely uninstalling/deleting the plugin but no change. On the subject of deleting the plugin, I only had 2 events and 3 categories so I decided to remove the plugin (which I thought would delete the relevent events/database entries) to hopefully remove any problem entries, but upon re-installing I found all the events/categories and associated database tables remained.

How can I COMPLETELY remove everything associated with Events+ and start fresh?

Thanks,
    Kent

• KJA

It's running on a Win2003 server (IIS6), with PHP 5.3.2 and a MySQL 5.1.47 db.

The "E:\inetpub\vs239247\" is the physical path to the site root on the server.

It was working prior to upgrading to 3.5. I upgraded manually via FTP though because the automatic update process from 3.4 to 3.5 failed/hung.

I ran the wp-admin db upgrade script after the update but it said my db didn't require any changes.
    Could there be an issue with some of the db tables/permissions not being correctly upgraded, even though WP is saying they are? I though this could be the case from the "'meta_value' can't have a default value for query" part of the error, which is why I was wanting to completely remove any traces of Events+ and start fresh.

... maybe I need to start fresh from the whole WP install? :\

• aecnu

Greetings Kent,

A sincere thank you for the additional input and clarification regarding this issue and your hosting environment.

Being a Windows server explains it for me i.e. the directory structure.

Could there be an issue with some of the db tables/permissions not being correctly upgraded, even though WP is saying they are?

Absolutely and this seems to be the case considering the error and something obviously did not go right during the upgrade process.

I cannot put my finger on the exact cause and I am professionally a linux server administrator, so I do not know where to turn to try to test this out but I would indeed love to know the answer in any event.

maybe I need to start fresh from the whole WP install?

In this case I would do a complete backup of the current system then wax it and see what the results are with a fresh install and if the error persists or not - though I believe it will not persist - but only a test will tell the tale.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe