[Events +] Events styling - remove/hide RSVP

Hi there,
I'd like to make the event listing prettier for my site.
http://www.trebuchet-magazine.com/events/2019/05/devotion/
Ideally all the admin info underneath the main image up until the start of the descriptive text would be hidden or moved to the bottom of the page.
It's also a bit clunky looking.
Is there a setting/plugin etc that I've missed.
Best,
K

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Ananda

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

No, I don't think you missed any settings there :slight_smile: The way it looks like is mostly determined by how the theme is processing the output of the plugin and while there could be custom templates created, I think in this case we could deal with it in much simpler way.

In your post title you mentioned hiding RSVP. I understand that by this you'd want to hide the "No/Maybe/I'm attending" buttons, right?

This can be done in two ways.

First one would be to go to the "Events -> Settigns -> Add-ons" page and enable "Public announcement events" add-on there. After that you could edit your events and you'll notice a new checkbox "This is a Public Announcement event" right below the "Is this paid event" option.

Check this checkbox and save the event and the RSVP options will be removed from the event - they will not be available at all.

The other way is to use a simple CSS on site instead to hide those buttons. This is useful if you want to actually keep RSVP options there, just not visible publicly - e.g. if you want to be able to add RSVP to the event from bac-end (by editing an event). In such case, add following CSS rule to your site:

.wpmudevevents-buttons {
    	display:none;
    }

You can add it to the site via "Appearance -> Customize -> Additional CSS" option in the site back-end, via some "Custom css" option of the theme settings (if there is such an option) or append it to the "style.css" file of your child-theme if you are using a child theme on site.

Ideally all the admin info underneath the main image up until the start of the descriptive text would be hidden or moved to the bottom of the page.

Above solution would only hide those RSVP buttons but if you'd like to hide all the info so only the description text and the photo would stay on site, you could use this CSS instead:

#wpmudevevents-header .wpmudevevents-buttons,
    #wpmudevevents-header hr,
    #wpmudevevents-contentheader,
    #wpmudevevents-contentmeta,
    #event-bread-crumbs
    {
    	display:none;
    }

Best regards,
    Adam

• Ananda
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Adam,
    Many thanks that last option works very well!
    Is the some way of moving those blocks of info to the end of the post. It's still pretty handy!
    (In the meantime I'm adding the info manually at the end)
    Thanks again,
    K

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Ananda

Is the some way of moving those blocks of info to the end of the post. It's still pretty handy!
    (In the meantime I'm adding the info manually at the end)

It might be possible but wouldn't be that easy. One way would be to create a whole new template for the single event view. If you're familiar with creating custom page templates in WordPress you should be able to deal with it though.

The place to start would be to copy "single-incsub_event.php" file from "/wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/default-templates/default" folder to the folder of your current theme (preferably a child theme).

Once you got it there, you'd want to take a look inside and by editing it you would be able to move those blocks but you'll need to be careful not to remove too many functions/code from there so it would work :slight_smile: You'd most likely also would want to re-factor it's HTML markup a bit and/or add some additional parts from the standard "single.php" theme template to make it suit the rest of the theme/site. The good thing is that in case you'd want to get back to current look, all you need to do is to remove that template file from the theme folder.

Another way would be to use JS to to remove these blocks from existing page and then append them in another place but that would have to be custom developed.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Ananda

Many thanks for that!
    I'll have a look at creating a custom page.
    But we're in a better place now.
    I'm also having that problem with the sidebar calendar having that bug where 'forward by month' arrow throws a 404. Is the best response still to downgrade for the time being?
    Kind regards,
    Kailas

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Ananda

I'm glad I could help :slight_smile:

As for the calendar, I understand you're referring to the "Calendar Upcoming" widget, correct?

Just to make sure, I have tested it on my setup with the most recent Events+ release and it's working fine - switching calendar month and no 404 errors.

I do see, however, that the "Art Events" is not working that way on your site. Is it that calendar widget or is it some shortcode maybe instead? The widget shouldn't re-load the page, it should simply "move" calendar one month further or back (depending on the arrow that you use) via Ajax without reloading the page. On your site it's also triggering some JS error so that suggest some conflict.

Would you like me to take a closer look at this? I'll be happy to but I'd need to be able to access the site in such case so could you enable support access? To do so, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's back-end and click on "Grant support access" button there, then let me know here once it's done and I'll check it.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Ananda

Thanks for enabling support access.

I checked the site and the culprit here is one of the plugins on the site: the "jQuery Updater" plugin.

The goal of this plugin is to replace the "WP core" jQuery version with the most recent stable release and that's what it does but apparently such replacement breaks Events+ scripts. With this plugin disabled, the calendar works fine.

That being said, after testing it I have enabled the "jQuery Updater" plugin on your site back because I don't know what's the reason of it being installed there and if disabling it breaks some other part(s) of the site.

I'd suggest testing it on your own: disable the plugin and you should see the calendar working fine, then check your entire site to see if disabling it broke anything. If not, keep it disabled.

If yes, we might need to actually find out what does require that plugin to be installed - because nothing should. I mean: all the themes and plugins should be working fine with the jQuery version that's included in the WP core and should not require such "updater" plugin. I believe that makes some sense :wink:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Ananda

You wonder!
    That was exactly it.
    I think it fixed something back in the day. But I'd left it running over the years because it made some applications work a bit better.
    So I've deactivated it and had a look around the site and things seem to be working well.
    In fact the site as a whole is running MUCH quicker, both for admins and visitors!
    The calendar specifically is working perfectly now.
    I'm amazed.
    I'll monitor it for a few days/weeks and see if anything goes wrong... but so far so FANTASTIC!
    k

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.