Events+ Feature Requests

1. Navigation to get from month to month and year to year easily

2. Legend for the colour coding of category types. I've created three category types and I know what they are but how to my members know without showing them a legend?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mary,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

1. Navigation to get from month to month and year to year easily

There is a navigation in calendar, both added via shortcode and the one added via widget. Is there no navigation on your site? If yes, can you please point me to the page where I could see that?

2. Legend for the colour coding of category types. I've created three category types and I know what they are but how to my members know without showing them a legend?

I don't quite understand that, could you please explain that a bit more - preferably using some example? I would like to get a better picture of the idea first before suggesting that to developers.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Mary

1. My calendar page is https://christiangays.com/events/

The shortcode on the page is [eab_calendar navigation="true"]

Next and Prev show up at the bottom of the page but that isn't true navigation. If this is March and my members are taking a trip in December, do they have to keep clicking, next, next, next, next, next, next, next, next, next?

There should be navigation at the top where they can choose their month and year but there is nothing. Please see screenshot.

2. In settings there is an option for Event Colours. Currently I have chosen purple for Concerts, blue for Conferences, red for Gay Pride Event. They show up beautifully on the calendar but how does anyone know what they represent if there is no Legend to tell them. It just looks like a page with events in pretty colours. How do they know what each colour represents without a Legend? See screenshot.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mary!

Thank you for your replay and additional explanation.

That makes sense to me and I agree that the calendar would be much easier to use with such additionals so let's now hope that more members of WPMU DEV communty will vote for these ideas so our developer would implement them in one of the future updates.

I think though that for a legend you could also use a simple workaround until that's addressed in a plugin core: you could upload an image that you attached to your recent post here ("legend.jpg") to your site and insert it below events calendar shortcode. I know that it's not a "solution" but a workaround but it would at least make colors understandable to the users of your site for now

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mary!

I checked the site and even tried to change/move the image but I see that it's not showing up even though it should. Is there by any chance a custom page template for events ("insub-events.php" or similar)?

I'm asking because I can't see the image even in source code of the page and it looks to me like the WP content of the page wasn't picked up properly. Let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mary!

I have checked your site again and I honestly admit, I have no idea what is happening there. My best bet would be some caching, probably server-side. I have created a new page with exactly the same content and it is showing both calendar and an image but I wasn't able to make original /events page work.

I think that in this case we might go for some "shortcut". If you could remove the "events" page (via "Pages -> All pages"; remove it from trash to, otherwise it will not let you set proper slug) and then rename "WPMU Test" page and change its slug to events, that should give you the same page but with image (colors legend) below the calendar.

Could you please give it a try?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Mary

Hi Adam,

Very interesting stuff happening. I deleted the Events page completely and emptied the trash, created a new page called Calendar.

This page gave me more navigation. I has << < date > >> which the other page did not have. Also, it obeys the layout choice. If I select to have a left sidebar, it is there. If I select to have just content, that works too. It took a long time to load the image of Legend but it is finally here.

Then I changed the slug to events and I lost the navigation and the legend.

So now the Calendar page looks good (will be better when you get better navigation to be able to jump several months ahead). The only problem now is that when I select "Any" for the Widget, it shows no upcoming events.

Should I try reinstalling the plugin?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mary!

Thank you for your replay and additional information.

There's no need to re-install plugin, I think. Actually, it seems that I missed an important factor here completely, thus causing some big confusion. I'm very sorry about that.

We couldn't add the image first because the /events page is the default "events-archive" page that's created by the plugin. On a "Events -> Settings -> Plugin settings" page in site's dashboard there's a "Set your root slug here" option that controls that. What happens in that case is that when you visit the /events page (if default settings are kept) it doesn't even read your shortcode or any content that you add to the page - it generates that page dynamically, plugin does that.

There's another setting on "Events -> Settings -> Appearance settings" page where you can choose how the /events page should work. With default setup it will show the list of events but then you can enable the "Override default appearance" option and below select "Plugin: Calendar" for "Archive template" option. That is how it was set and that is the calendar that was previously displayed on your site.

Then you created a "/calendar" page, putting shortcode and your "legend image" there and that also worked as expected but when you changed page's slug to "/events" it got overridden by the default plugin page.

Therefore there are two solutions here. The simpler one would be to keep that shortcode and legend image on a page like "Calendar" (with "calendar" slug) and direct users there. Alternatively, if you wish to maintain the /events slug for that page, you would want to first go to "Events -> Settings -> Plugins settings" page and change the "root slug" for Events+ plugin to something else than "events" and only then set slug for "Calendar" page to "events". There wouldn't be a conflict then and the /events page would contain calendar produced by shortcode and the "legend image" and any other content that you put there.

Again, I'm sorry for causing confusion and giving you a wrong information.

Kind regards,
    Adam