Events+ Local Timezone Feature

Ok, I'd love to use this plugin, but I can't, just like every other calender plugin out there... The reason is simple - timezones!!!

What I need is for the time of an event to automatically show in a users own timezone. So for example, if I create an event starting at 7pm London time (UTC+1 hour), a member from Texas would see the same event as 1pm their time. (UTC-5 hours).

@Paul who currently develops the excellent chat plugin seems to have this working, as when a post is made in the chat window the time is reflected in that users timezone.

Can you please add this functionality to the Events+ plugin. I can't be the only one person needing this essential feature....

Hope you can help?
Thanks
Rob

• Mindblaze

Hi Rob,

Yeah its a very good feature you have suggested. There can be an option in the Events+ to enable/disable it.

The reason its not there currently is quite simple actually. The PHP scripts (in which everything is coded in) is Server side. That means the time PHP uses is calculated from you servers time. And because the client side is for serving via browser only, the client's time cannot be gathered directly.

However, there are ways to fix this.

One fix can be to use Javascript which can gather time from clients computer and then pushed on to the server and used for his Events etc.

Another way is to use IP to country detection script. Once the country is known, timezone can be calculated.

Hope it helps.

• Vaughan

hiya

thanks for the post.

I will move this to the features & feedback section so the developers can assess. Though I haven't seen any other requests for the feature.

I still think it's a bit harsh not being able to use the plugin just because it can't do this, just add a message to the page saying 'All times are in BST or GMT+1

people are then informed & will do the calculation themselves.

hope this helps.

• godrob

Thanks for the quick response guys. I realise I can put a simple message up regarding timezones, but my site is largely geared towards the elderly and an automatic solution would be a lot sleeker, rather than relying on the end user to work out the correct time for themselves.

I'm not a programmer and wouldn't know where to start, but I understand @Mindblazetech reasoning as to why it's not currently included. That being said, it looks like it should be possible by what you're all saying, so can you please make it an option?

Thanks again
    Rob.