Events + Making recurring events

Hi guys,

I have had quite a headache with your recurring events facility.

The great thing about events+ is being able to create recurring events and then seeing separate SKUs created when linked through the Marketpress plugin.

BUT:

Here are some issues that that are occuring because I am doing something wrong or that need urgent ironing out by the WPMU developer team:

EDIT INSTANCES
I can create a recurring event for, say, every Friday for 3 months. And if I want the event to not be available on the last Friday of every month, I can go to the "Edit instances" link and cancel or close that instance.

Great!

But if I go back into the root event because I need to change details, and update the event, that instance that I cancelled or closed is republished as a live event again.

Hell of a headache if you set up a daily recurring event for 6 months, close 8 of them, and then need to re-close them again after editing something else in the event.

RECURRING vs. SINGLE EVENTS
If you have set an event as recurring, and want to change it back to a single event, there is no option to do that. You have to trash the event and make it again from scratch.

USING PRODUCT AS ADMITTANCE
Great idea to have this. It means I can give people coupons.

BUT, every time I edit an event, like change details in the content, and update it, it does not "remember" that I assigned it to that product. It needs to be reassigned to the product every single time.

Regards
William

• PC

Hey there William,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

But if I go back into the root event because I need to change details, and update the event, that instance that I cancelled or closed is republished as a live event again.

These are very valid points and I will need to test them in detail and then discuss it with our lead developer on the same.

RECURRING vs. SINGLE EVENTS
    If you have set an event as recurring, and want to change it back to a single event, there is no option to do that. You have to trash the event and make it again from scratch.

Unfortunately there is no other way at the moment. The plugin creates multiple instances of the recurring event so the event has to be trashed. But I see your point here and I will send this to the developer as a feature request for the future version of the plugin.

BUT, every time I edit an event, like change details in the content, and update it, it does not "remember" that I assigned it to that product. It needs to be reassigned to the product every single time.

That is no good. I will test this as well and call in the lead developer once I am done with the tests.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• William

Thank you PC.

More observations:

I can see that when you run the system via a product, and someone clicks on an event in the calendar, the user of your site gets taken to a page where the product image, Excerpt and Add To Cart button appear on the top of the page with the event details below it.

Sometimes, however, the top product part with the product image, excerpt and "Add to cart" facility does not appear when you click on an item in the calendar. I am not sure why. The behavior is just not the same from product to product, event to event.

I would assume it is when someone like me is trying to crack the technique and is creating events, and deleting them or closing them and un-closing them - the multiple changes are confusing the system.

But really what we developers would prefer is to link a product to an event and have the two appear without fuss on the page after someone clicks on an events. And we want to link an event to a different product and vice versa, we must just be able to do that.

• William

OK, if you are testing the product and the calendar booking system, and you have said that you will attend an event, if you go back to that event on the calendar and click on it again, the product does not show up.

So you as the admin user wont see the Add to Cart button again because the system thinks you have already booked for the event.

I hope I am right here.

I added myself as a second user with different log in details and Voila! the product appeared again with the Add to Cart button.

But this is a fundamental flaw - if a person wants to buy more tickets to an event , they should be able to. It can happen that someone buys a ticket, then wants to buy two more for friends. BUT if they are logged in as the same person again, they won't be able to buy more tickets. A note appears saying that you have already paid for this event.

• PC

Hey there,

Thanks for standing by !

I am able to replicate it and I have sent it to our lead developer @Vladislav and he should be here sooner than later with his thoughts on the same.

I also see the same. Sent to the developer for his feedback.

I can see that when you run the system via a product, and someone clicks on an event in the calendar, the user of your site gets taken to a page where the product image, Excerpt and Add To Cart button appear on the top of the page with the event details below it.

Sometimes, however, the top product part with the product image, excerpt and "Add to cart" facility does not appear when you click on an item in the calendar. I am not sure why. The behavior is just not the same from product to product, event to event.

sorry but I can't replicate that one on my lab site. Can you kindly share your site links and steps to recreate it ?

So you as the admin user wont see the Add to Cart button again because the system thinks you have already booked for the event.

Seems right. Currently it does not allow you to buy more tickets at a later time.

I have sent a note to our lead developer and will try to bring him in ASAP.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.