Events Management Multisite Install

Hi

I am a Wordpress hack, who has been using WP for about 5 years, but with very little technical knowledge - rolling out occasional sites using Fantastico to install them, and sometimes, with marginal success, editing a css file or changing a line of PHP code.

Our business manages health related events. We currently run events in the yoga, meditation, massage and cooking arenas - mainly retreats and courses.

We want to set up separate sub sites (with unique domain names) for each discipline (arena), under a multisite installation. This multisite installation would allow users to find events related to a discipline on that discipline’s domain, but all events would be listed on the parent domain.

We want users to be able to save searches, review events, add events to favourites and more. I guess it would be good if users could chat with each other too.

We also want users to be able to access all the sites with the same password, an any reviews done on a sub-site would be viewable on the parent (umbrella) site.

We also want some of the teachers who we organise and promote events for to be able to add and edit the event they are involved in. And to post these events on to more than one of the sub sites

I assume this is all possible with a Multisite, Multiuser install, but don’t know where to start, and would love some feedback and suggestions on how to proceed.

Also, how to go about finding an appropriate developer.

Thanks
Ostii

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Ostii, hope you are well!

Also, how to go about finding an appropriate developer.

You could always try a free lance type site, check for good ratings of the developer and always use escrow so they can't just take the cash and run.

We want to set up separate sub sites (with unique domain names) for each discipline (arena), under a multisite installation. This multisite installation would allow users to find events related to a discipline on that discipline’s domain, but all events would be listed on the parent domain.

You could take a look at our Events plugin as a base for what you need. You would then have Events network activated on your multisite install.

You can then use the Calendar widget which displays a list of Upcoming Events from your entire network.

We want users to be able to save searches, review events, add events to favourites and more. I guess it would be good if users could chat with each other too.

There are a number of chat solution for WordPress, we do offer one but its not specifically for each event:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-chat-plugin/

Our events are a custom Post Type and comments are enabled. You could use comments as the review area for each event.

You could then use our comments plugin on your main site to pull reviews from the whole network:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/comment-indexer/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-global-comments-widget/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-comments/

We also want users to be able to access all the sites with the same password, an any reviews done on a sub-site would be viewable on the parent (umbrella) site.

With regards to comments, I answered that further up, :slight_smile:

Passwords and usernames, that is how WordPress Multisite Works. On username and password rules all. :slight_smile:

Each site could also have them with a different role, so hey could be a subscriber on one site and an admin on another.

We also want some of the teachers who we organise and promote events for to be able to add and edit the event they are involved in. And to post these events on to more than one of the sub sites

You would just need to give them the appropriate role permissions on the given website they need admin access to.

All roles are listed here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities#Capability_vs._Role_Table

If you have any further questions then please just let me know.

Take care.

• ostii

Hi Timothy

Thanks for your response. I had not seen that anyone had responded.

Specific questions are...

Is it possible to post (CPT) from one site and have it appear on some (but not all) of the other sites in the install, based on categery information?

Can you only do this from the parent domain - main install?

Do you know of anywhere I can go and play with a multisite install?

Thanks
    Ostii

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

I would probably do this through the RSS widget and then just feed the widget on which ever site you wish. Its nice and simple then.

That way you don't have duplicate content which could harm your SEO. It would just link back to where ever the content is posted.

Do you know of anywhere I can go and play with a multisite install?

You would need to set one up.

Although WordPress.com and EduBlogs.org are both large multisite installs.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.