[Events +] My file editor stops working when I enable events+ plugin

When I enable events+ plugin, my wordpress file editor stops working. If I make changes to a file and update, I get 504 timed out error.

When I run Health Check, I get this
The loopback request to your site failed, this may prevent WP_Cron from working, along with theme and plugin editors.
Also I get this
A plugin has prevented updates by disabling wp_version_check().

If I disable Events+, both these errors are gone and the file editor works fine.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Ajay,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I understand that by "WP file editor" you mean an "Appearance -> Editor" option, correct? I have tested it on my test setup but the plugin doesn't break it there. Additionally, a "504" error suggests that the problem is a result of some sort of "resources" issues. WordPress Cron wouldn't be related to that.

This would mean that either there's "something" in site/server configuration that's affecting this or there's some conflict with yet another plugin.

Would you please run a full conflict test first? This means switching the site to Twenty Seventeen theme and disabling all the plugins except for Events+. If the issue doesn't happen then, enable on of the plugins back, check again and continue enabling plugins "one by one" until the editor breaks again. The last enabled plugin would most likely be source of the conflict.

If after enabling all the necessary plugins back the issue still doesn't occur, switch back to your current theme and see again.

Let me know about the test results and also could you please enable support access to the site so I could take a closer look at the site? To do this, go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's back-end, click on "Grant support access" button and let me know here once access is activated.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Ajay
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Adam,
    I have another website currently in staging and I did what you asked.
    Disabled all plugins except Events+ and activated 2017 theme.
    I am still getting the same error.

Also, could you suggest why is this error showing in health checkup report -
    A plugin has prevented updates by disabling wp_version_check().

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Ajay

Thanks for enabling access.

I didn't "experiment" there but I noticed that your site is still running on only 40M limit of memory out of 256M allowed for PHP scripts. With Avada (and its Fusion Builder) and a couple of other plugins that you got installed there, it's a pretty "tight" limit so it's quite possible that Events is that "last straw that breaks the camel's back" :wink:

What I mean is that 504 error is very often related to server resources being "eaten up" and that might be the reason. So, I'd start with very simple tweak which would be just adding following line to the "wp-config.php" file of the site:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Make sure that this line is above the "/* That's all, stop edting */" line and then check if the issue still happens.

If it doesn't help and the issue still happens, would you mind actually letting me access that staging site where you were able to replicate the issue? It would be much safer for me and easier to work on it, without the risk of breaking the live site during the process...

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello again Ajay

I'm sorry, I forgot to respond to the second part of the question :slight_smile:

The message that you're getting from Health Check - I can confirm that. However, the Events+ doesn't disable any updates, nor for other plugins neither for WordPress itself. It's also not using/addressing the "wp_version_check()" function anywhere in its code (I have checked it).

However, those "health check/compatibility check/debugging" plugins are not always entirely right. I don't know the code of Events+ well enough to tell you exactly how it does that, but I believe it does "hook up" to WP update check in that sense that it "excludes" itself from any attempts of updating from wp.org plugin repository - as it's not available from there - and instead adds up update status from our own plugin repository. I'm not entirely sure how this works on a code level but I think that's what sort of "fooling" Health Check plugin a bit :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Ajay
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Adam,
    I added that line to the staging site and it did not work. Please let me know how do I give you access to the staging site?
    Also I have used many more plugins on this website before disabling them to see which was causing the issue, so I don't think Events alone hogged up so much memory.

Ajay

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Ajay

Thanks for your response and enabling support. Let's stick for now to the staging site :slight_smile:

I must admit that I'm not slightly confused. I went ahead and enabled all the plugins on that site then I went to "Appearance -> Editor" and tried to edit a file there. I used a "style.css" file just for safety (to not "break" any theme) but it all saved fine. I tried that with Twenty Seventeen, Avada and Avada Child themes on the staging site - in all cases no issues.

Maybe I should try some specific file or add some specific code to it then or maybe I'm missing something during the test? Please advice...

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Ajay
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Adam,
    please let me know if there is a fix. We need to start using an events plugin and if events+ does not fit the bill, we will need to move onto another plugin.
    We need to decide it in next 2-3 days max.

Thanks
    Ajay

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello @ajaypalnitj!

I'm sorry for the delay on my end. It's been a bit more busy recently than it usually is (due to a vacation season).

Thanks for the tip with editing .php files. Actually you are right. The Events+ plugin does seem to interrupt that. I could see it on your test site and I could also now replicate it on mine (I think I did not edit .php file previously, I didn't think it would make a difference in this case).

I checked browser console logs on both yours and my site and WP debug log on my test setup but there's nothing even remotely related. There's an error in browser console on admin-ajax.php call but it's a result rather than a cause.

This is really unexpected issue, I admit. I'll need to report it to our developers as this goes a bit beyond my capabilities. I have reported it to them and am awaiting response. Please note though: this might take longer because they are dealing with complex stuff on daily basis and this is a new issue of which we were not aware yet.

Please keep an eye on this ticket for further information.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.