Events+ not changing timezone automatically

When I tested this a while back it was working. I would input an event in my timezone (Pacific), and a colleague in another timezone (Central) confirmed that he saw it in his timezone.

However, now another colleague is doing the input of events, and she lives in the Central timezone. So she is putting them in with her own time, but they are not being translated to my timezone when I view them.

An example event is here:

http://test.nrocnetwork.org/resources/events/2016/08/nroc-info-sessions-get-started-with-hippocampus/

It was created as a 2pm event by someone in the Central timezone, and that's what I'm seeing too. I should be seeing 12 noon, which is the correct time for Pacific.

Any ideas? Support access is enabled.

• Nithin

Hi kalico,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I just checked this with my colleague in different time zone, and it seems to show the time in his time zone. Is this plugin customised? I could also notice, when I go Events > Settings, and try the save changes button, it gets redirected to Post.

Since I don't see you mention about performing a plugin conflict test, could you please run a quick plugin/theme conflict test as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart), and rule out whether any plugin is causing this issue.
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Please let us know how that goes, so that we could help get this sorted asap. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• kalico

Hi Nithin,

Yes, it was modified, per Ash's instructions here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/events-displays-datetime-differently-when-showing-a-different-time-zone#post-1096215

This makes the formatting of the date cleaner -- removes seconds from the time, removes the 2nd instance of the date, and addresses the different browsers.

in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/js/eab-events-local_timezones.js remove line no 34 to 41

$me
                    .text((
                        $me.is(".eab-date_format-time")
                            ? date.toLocaleTimeString(locale).split( ' GMT' )[0]
                            : date.toLocaleDateString(locale).split( ' GMT' )[0]
                    ))
                    .attr("title", old)
                ;

and replace with this:

if( $me.is(".eab-date_format-time") && old != '' )
                            {
                                var modified_time = date.toLocaleTimeString(locale).split( ' GMT' )[0];
                                var splitted_time = modified_time.split( ':' );
                                var count = splitted_time.length - 1;
                                if( count > 1 )
                                {
                                    var seconds = splitted_time[2].split( ' ' )[1];
                                    modified_time = splitted_time[0] + ':' + splitted_time[1] + ' ' + seconds;
                                }
                                $me.text( modified_time );
                            }
                            else if( $me.hasClass(".eab-date_format-date") && old != '' )
                            {
                                var modified_date = date.toLocaleDateString(locale).split( ' GMT' )[0];
                                $me.text( modified_date );
                            }

That is the only modification to core code. Other than that, there are a lot of CSS modifications.

I've done a test with no other plugins enabled, and I'm getting the same results. I have confirmed in Firefox, Safari, and Chrome.

Support access has been extended, and the site where we're testing is not in production -- feel free to test as needed.

Thanks!

• Nithin

Hi kalico,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

does it matter what "local time" on the server is? My server time AND local time are both UTC.

The local timezones addon makes use of the time zone set under Settings > General > Time Zone, these settings determine the time of your post, and the events plugin will try to change the time to the visitors timezone with respect to this.

Please let us know how your test goes, so that we could give a closer look. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• kalico

That answers everything :slight_smile:

Since I set up my site with Pacific time in the WP settings--and I live in that same timezone--it all looks fine if I am the one who creates the event and bases the time on my location. However, if the person in Central time creates the event, and bases the time on HER location, then she's putting in an event time that is two hours off from the WP time setting.

"Little things" like this should really be in the documentation. We've input a lot of events on a total misunderstanding of how this option works.

Thanks Nithin for getting back to me with this info! We have a lot of editing to do! :\

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.