Events+ plugin could allow past dates

More details here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/disable-calendar-constraints

Basically, since is already possible to type dates in the past, it would be more usable to disable the constraint that doesn’t allow to use a past date with the date picker.

People must be free to publish old events, especially when they’re migrating an old site to a new one and wants to recover as much data as possible.

And example: a band that wants to keep an archive of their concerts.

Right now the behavior is confusing and quite user “unfriendly”.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

+1 from me and I’ve asked Ve to also take a look at this.

Perhaps it could be an option, so if a network admin didn’t want his users selecting past dates he can restrict it. Not sure how important that might be to some though, was just a side thought.

Take care.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

In the latest plugin release (v1.4.1, just released) the calendar won’t force you to select future dates only. As for the import option, that’s a really nice idea for a future feature release – although I’m not yet sure about the format. A simple csv seems versatile (although it really isn’t – I have learned the hard way that “csv” means quite different things to different software packages) but not really structured enough and would require some sort of field mapping or a proprietary column organization. iCal seems a like a bit more natural choice for this purpose, but either way, the feature is definitely on the radar.

• sciamannikoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I agree with Vladislav that a CSV format is in most of the cases a pain.

I think that iCal as well may leads on issues (e.g., pictures or formatted content/even description, in case we are trying to import for another plugin).

Exporting to XML is possible with mostly any software and in case of an existing event manager in a WP installation, it can ben done from MySQL itself.

I believe a simple XML could be considered in addition to iCal:

– Images could be either embedded (I don’t like much this) or referenced as URL (better)

– formatted content can be exported/imported as long as is encoded or encapsulated as a CDATA

– Once is provided with an XML file, Events+ could have a mapping interface to map XML elements with his core fields: this would make the import feature even more versatile

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

(although it really isn’t – I have learned the hard way that “csv” means quite different things to different software packages)

lol i have been trying to get an answer about CSV files for months from various resources. Now that i google as CSV and not CVS i have found that the format changes from programmer to programmer. USA uses , and Europe uses ;

I still don’t know where to place the last ” or when to use two of them side by side. “”.

so +1 on what you guy’s think is best for export and import! :slight_smile:

• sciamannikoo

MTB, you might be right about how European and USA implements CSV, however me, as an Italian, I’ve always used a comma to separate fields/columns.

Probably mostly because CSV means Comma Separated Values.

But yes, I’ve often had to deal with Semicolon Separated Values … SSV? :slight_smile:

I’ve never understood why they should use a semicolon.

Anyway, it’s not just that.

Many times, when you have column of type “text” (e.g. a description), you may want to handle new lines and similar. Theoretically, wrapping them with double quotes (“:wink:, must help. Most of the times, it doesn’t :smiley:

Once again, I believe that XML is the way to go: there we could put whatever kind of content we want.

As for iCal, I’m not 100% sure about how much freedom we could get.

• sciamannikoo

@ve, I’ve forgotten to thank you :slight_smile:

I’ve a partially translated eab-it_IT.mo (and po) file (almost the whole front-end strings and a very little back-end translation).

Each time I get an upgrade I lose it (I’ve a local copy, luckily).

Where can I send this file?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.