Events plugin has issues as well

Seriously, These plugins have not been tested enough.

Now the Events Plugin is conflicting with my theme.

It is adding the event to the top of the blog page, it is duplicating the button set (im attending, No im not etc) and it is adding a weird breadcrumb to the top of the page

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings liquidpixels,

Do you not think for one minute that it is the theme with the problem? or that the theme itself is the real root of the problem?

I cannot address these tickets nor issues as fast as you can install various plugins and claim they do not work.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• liquidpixels
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Ok, so what themes do these plugins work with? There are thousands of themes out there. I have 12 plugins in this theme, they all work fine. So what do I do mate? This is a tested Theme Forest theme with massive downloads are you saying that ALL these WPMU plugins are incompatible with my theme?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings liquidpixels,

Thank you for your quick reply. I am not saying that at all.

The Theme Forest theme I have heard of though I do not know when it was last re-coded meaning prior to WP 3.3.1 release?

I am not blaming the theme but from experience here at WPMU Dev the theme developers write so their theme looks good and does what they say it does with there thoughts of the greatest bells and whistles regardless of anyone else’s considerations so they can make the sale, which can be expected.

However, I think your previous ticket concerning the Market Press cart is a good start at finding out what is really going on here.

Tomorrow most of the developers will be in full swing and I hope to get the applicable developer to look at the Market Press theme and I will work closely with you to resolve the other additions you want to make but have had issues with them.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings liquidpixels,

In an effort to resolve any issues with this particular plugin I studied the screen shot of the error which clearly shows that the problem is not coming from Theme Forest theme but from the Parrellesus Salutation theme.

Please advise on this detail so that I have it together when I page in the lead developer to advise on what may be happening here so we can get this issue resolved.

What is bizarre is that if in fact your were running the Theme Forest theme at the time of that screen shot the errors are coming from and addressing the Salutation theme.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings liquidpixels,

OK, regarding the Salutation theme we do have another member fighting with it too exactly with events and bookings.

I think I will pop for the theme and donate it to the developers so they can see first hand the coding they are dealing with concerning this particular theme.

Meanwhile, I am going to go ahead and ask the lead developer of Events and Bookings plugin to come in here and offer us some advice as to what the problem may be and for him to see your screen shot too with the errors within it.

I do want to assure you that us techs are on your side and nothing makes us happier as to when our clients are happy with their web productions.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey guys.

The errors in the original image are pointing to the theme, they read “No such file or directory” which is usually a file/folder permissions issue or that simply it isn’t there.

They also direct to your themes folders. What are you trying to do when the error occurs? Navigate somewhere? post? Edit? something else?

Take care.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Are you able to log in via FTP and first try applying recursively 644 for files and 755 for folders. (Its important its recursive)

Just to be sure one rogue one isn’t off for some reason.

Maybe even try unpacking a fresh batch of files, both the theme and the plugin and then uploading them.

Also hows it run in Twenty Ten? Seems ok on my install which is why I ask.

Take care.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Recursively means for all files and folders, even files in sub folders of sub folders.

It will confirm its not a permission or ownership issue.

(recursion) (mathematics) an expression such that each term is generated by repeating a particular mathematical operation.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings liquidpixels,

I think it is time for some hard core debugging to get this project on track.

If you are ready for this please send me FTP details and admin details so I can work with this site and see what I can do to get it going. The best way is to forward the email message with the link to this thread to me at my WPMU Dev email address aecnu (at) incsub.com

Anything out of the ordinary I will of course report to you.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings liquidpixels,,

Just a heads up that I have not received the info though I will probably not deal with it today since I have been on the job 12+ hours now and it would be in both of our benefit for me to check it out when I am fresh tomorrow morning.

If you have already sent it please double check the email address aecnu (at) incsub.com, because to this very moment I have not received it and I have checked the spam folders.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Mick,

Just to let you know I worked on this some this evening though I did not have a lot of time but got a format for the single events worked out that does not cause a conflict with Salutations.

It may not be the preferred at the moment of course but I will look into this more tomorrow seeing how we can sharpen up the appearance of the vent itself.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Mick,

Could you please post an event for a couple of weeks from now so that I can see how it turns out with the bells and whistles? i.e. rsvp’s etc.

It does not show anything with the expired event, just the event details but nothing more.

We have been totally bombarded here with work and I apologize for the delay in getting more done.

Are we ready to try and enable the Membership plugin now?

Please advise and looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Mick,

I went today through the entire troubleshooting sequence with the plugins and had no joy of getting this how I believe it should be. I did not deactivate Buddy Press.

Here is the display on my test server that it obviously shows correctly:

http://test.easystartdiywebsitedesign.com/events/

I can prove that it is the Salutation theme causing the problem or vice versa that the theme does not like the plugin. However, there has got to be a way to fix this for this theme.

I would have called in the lead developer on this last week but he has been put on a priority assignment where we do not have access to him until supposedly next week.

Therefore I am at a stand still now that I have done everything in my power to get Events to work completely right with Salutations.

Now that we have a week almost to wait for possible developer help with the Events Plugin, I am going to work on other plugins that you want to use on your site.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Mick,

Now that Ve is back with support team access, I am going to ask him if he will look in with me on this rendering issue of the Events plugin and Salutations theme to see if we can get a better looking layout then the current one shown to include where are buttons are at.

Meanwhile I will be going after the Market Press issues.

Cheers, Joe

• liquidpixels

Hi Joe, I appreciate your persistence with this mate. Forget Marketpress, I have given up on it and gone with Woo-Commerce, it is much better styled and works out if the box.

I would like to use Events on serveral other sites (2 of which are Salutation) will it be possible to fix the other sites with what you have done or are doing?

• liquidpixels

Hi Joe, I appreciate your persistence with this mate. Forget Marketpress, I have given up on it and gone with Woo-Commerce, it is much better styled and works out if the box.

I would like to use Events on serveral other sites (2 of which are Salutation) will it be possible to fix the other sites with what you have done or are doing?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Mick,

I have not given up on this plugin, I am just waiting for the next release to come out with a raft of fixes so that I may upgrade yours and then move forward with getting the design palatable.

Absolutely, the cure should be the same for them all since it has proven to be a theme issue and all the themes are the same in this case :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the upcoming release.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Gentlemen,

From a post that I replied where the person asked about the theme to choose first before diving knee deep into plugin integration which I am pointing out as an FYI:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/classifieds-manual

Great question! In the stay away from list it is my opinion that Genesis, Thesis, Salutations, and Theme Forest themes are the hardest to integrate with and I truly appreciate your asking this question.

With regards to Theme Forest themes an independent article kind of said it all for me:

http://wpcandy.com/thinks/themeforest-is-the-red-headed-stepchild

Though I have found that most Theme Forest Themes to be stunning and pixel perfect, I have to agree with Valerie whom offered the first comment on the article above when she said “You’re right – a lot of them are great looking. I’ve purchased several for just that reason. But of the 10 of so themes I’ve purchased from ThemesForest over the past year, only 1 is actually in use. The rest of them, once I started working with them, ended up being too limiting in one way or another, had serious coding problems, conflicts with plugins or other, major customization roadblocks and very little to no support from the author.”

It seems that many theme authors are this way, the themes are beautiful but integration and compatibility are the purchasers problem in their minds.

******end of quote from other post ******

It is my opinion that the challenges with Salutations specifically is the css, hooks, and the lack of following theme best practices as laid out by WordPress. But of course would a theme developer really care about a plugin developer problem to integrate into their creation when it is not relevant to the purchase of the theme itself (sales) and usually an after thought of the purchaser when they come up against the wall?

Then it becomes the plugin developer and purchasers problem as Valerie mentions above and unfortunately for a percentage of our members too.

Sincerely, Joe

• mysmallbizu
    • Flash Drive

I was directed to themeforest and a couple of themes from this forum :slight_smile: (another post about getting 800 pixel wide videos to display) and salutations was one of the few BP themes that was flexibile enought to get 800 pixel wide post content.

So now I’ve purchased salutation to get a theme that worked with the content I have ony to find out that many of the plugins here dont’ work with it.

Other than the themes that are on WPMU what BP capable framework themes do you suggest?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings mysmallbizu,

This is a very tough question due to it seems more to be the author or coder of the theme that determines how well the theme integrates with the outside world.

Personally I have purchased themes from Theme Junkie (not an affiliate link) and have had great success with the few that I have played with except “Movable”, but at that time that theme was brand new on the market and has not had any kinks worked out in which I believe has since been updated.

However, I must admit that I am no fan of Buddy press and prior to version 1.5.5 there were a whole bunch of tickets here that were resolved when they did their core update from 1.54 to 1.55 – prior to this for the most part they were in denial and only after the release of 1.5.5 admitted the very problems we confronted them with in their forums which are a whole different ball game then WPMU Dev forums.

Therefore I admit I have not done extensive testing with Theme Junkie themes or any other themes and Buddy Press while at the same time I do have a test environment in which I do have Buddy Press installed and do testing, but mostly plugins.

Take note that the vast majority of WordPress theme developers never utter the word Buddy Press.

Sorry that I cannot advise further on this subject at this time.

On another note, some time ago the lead developer informed me that he will soon be releasing another version of the Events+ plugin and I am hoping that it integrates better with Salutations so that I can get Micks web site (Salutations theme) rolling with the Events+ plugin.

Cheers, Joe

• liquidpixels

A website is about UI AND UX. It needs to be visually appealing and inviting. ThemeForest themes exceed any other sites themes in these ways. They are visually stunning your right. A WP theme is for people that dont know much coding and want a amazing site with some CSS branding changes.

ThemeForest themes have the true design element to them, you will never turn me off ThemeForest. As for Valerie saying purchased over 20 and 1 in use, then she clearly didnt study the themes functionality before buying.

As a Digital Brand designer the branding and UI is crucial. That post about a red headed step child just shows the mental capacity of the Clown that wrote it, so I am hardly about to take anything he says as Gospel.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Mick,

Please advise why the version of Salutations we are trying to work with does not autoupdate?

It is version 1.3 from November and is missing several updates, 4 to be exact. Salutations

Please FTP update as they say needs done so that I can concentrate on getting this issue with events resolved.

Unfortunately being a relative noob on WPMU Dev staff when I took this project on in March (just 1 month on staff) and the fact that I had never seen the update needed in the network admin, I had thought it was current. Well obviously that thought was wrong.

Please let me know when it is updated so that I can possibly get the developer to help me get the issues resolved for this theme.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Mick,

Sir I have been trying to work with you to get the issues handled and my biggest hurdle right now is that Salutations is very outdated and as indicated in my last post I respectfully requested that you please update this theme.

I would have done it but I cannot since it is not auto up-datable and you must have the themes log in information at the vendors of salutations.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Mick,

I am at a total standstill with your site and the lack of cooperation and considering that the last i checked the theme and plugins were so far behind I do not know what to say.

Therefore I am closing this ticket because there seems to be no real interest on your behalf to take care of these issues nor properly maintain your WordPress installation.

Thank you anyway for the opportunity to help but I can only do so much and have only so much to work with.

If indeed this situation changes please let me know.

Cheers, Joe

• liquidpixels

Hey Joe, What do you want me to say. I am yet to find a theme that any of these plugins work perfectly with. I have given up. I refuse to use a WPMU theme as the design and functionality is very lo standard.

Thank you for your hard work and great customer service, it is appreciated but sadly the development and technical side of things doesn’t match your efforts.

Thanks Joe, you’re a valuable asset to WPMU.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.