Events+ recurring dates on sidebar - would like to limit it displaying all dates

I'm using the calendar widget on a sidebar to display next 5 events. The problem is if there is an event with a lot of recurring events, all the dates are displayed and it takes up a ton of vertical space (as well as visual noise).... How can I limit it to display the dates for up to one week or two weeks? (please note: I do not want to hide the date all together as that is useless, too).
Thank you!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Emily,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The "Calendar Upcoming" widget does not include such settings currently. There's however an "Upcoming Events" widget that let's you limit the number of upcoming events shown so you could for example set it to 5 or 10 and this way the list shouldn't ever become longer than this limit.

The downside though is that it's a list and not a "calendar" view. Would that work for you?

Let me know please. In case it's not a solution, could you please grant me a support access to your site so I could take a look at the widget, Event's plugin settings and a list of events itself in order to replicate this on my own site and be able to look for another solution?

You may grant me an access by following this guide:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Emily

Hi Adam,
    I'm already using "Upcoming Events" and I do have it set a 5 or 10 events... My issue is that when there is a "recurring event", all of those dates get listed and it takes up too much space and sometimes has recurring dates months away, where we only want to show the first relevant date. Please see my attached screenshot. Also, I'm opening it up for access for you if you'd like to go in and look. Thank you.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Emily,

I hope you're well today and thank for granting access.

I've just tested recurring events on my own setup and I can confirm that the "Upcoming Events" calendar is processing them as expected, applying all set limits. The issue here is that these events you're referring to are not "recurring" events but instead are single events spread across multiple days.

There's a difference between recurring event and a single event with multiple dates. Here are examples:

- a 3 day film festival that's planned for nearest Thursday, Friday and Sunday would be a signle event with multiple dates added (Feb 4th, 5th and 6th); this event would be displayed the same way as demonstrated on your screenshot;

- a 1 day golf course that's repeated workday of the week would be a recurring event; to set it up you would want to create "first" event and then instead of adding more dates to it use "This is a recurring event" button.

That said, in case of that first scenario the limit set in a widget will work but indeed all the dates will be shown. That's because it's in fact a single event. Currently, plugin does not support putting limits on the number of dates assigned to the single events that are to be used in widget.

Implementing such a feature would require changes in plugin's code so you may want to ask for custom development on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

I will also ask the developer if it would be possible to craft some custom piece of code that would let you limit displaying these dates but I'm not able to give you any guarantee on this until I get a response.

That said, please keep an eye on this thread for further information. Please note also that the developer's response time may be a bit longer than mine here on support forum as he has to deal with a lot of complex issues on daily basis.

Best regards,
    Adam