Events+ Twitter and Google logins not working

In Events+, I'm allowing users to login and RSVP with Facebook, Twitter and Google. I have Facebook working and account creation (and subsequent login) is working, but Twitter and Google are not working.

With Twitter, it loads the smaller window with a URL of api.twitter.com and returns what looks to be a 404 Error from Twitter. I have Twitter login setup correctly and it works with another plugin I am using on the site, but not with Events+.

In Google, it loads the small window and logs into the G+ profile but when it attempts the callback the window refreshes and present a 400 error with the message: OpenID auth request contains an unregistered domain: I have a Google Authorizan app that is working correctly with another plugin, but not Events+ -- or course, I note that there are no configuration settings for the Google login in Events+

Here is an example event on the dev site where you can test the various logins and view the errors.

http://schmoovies.prometheusfire.me/opening-night/2014/08/guardians-of-the-galaxy/

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Saunt Valerian,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having.

I have tested it on my test site and it's working fine.

Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some testing? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings from the following path and reply on this thread after granting it?

Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access Tab

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Saunt Valerian,

Thank you for granting me support staff access and thank you for your patience.

Regarding the Google log in issue i am getting the following error message.

400. That’s an error.

OpenID auth request contains an unregistered domain: http://schmoovies.prometheusfire.me

I think your site is displaying this message because according to this page, Google has closed registration to new OpenID 2.0 clients in May 2014.

The reason why some hosts work and some don't is that although Google isn't adding new hosts, you can still use the ones that are already registered.

I have notified the plugin developer to get his invaluable reply to see whether there is any work around to fix it.

Regarding the Twitter log in issue i can see the error message in the browser console as displayed in the attached screenshot when i test it on your site. It seems the Twitter log in AJAX request is getting blocked on your site.

Are you using any security plugin or restricting access of your site using some filter like firewall, proxy server etc. ?

You can just try on your development site deactivating all other plugins and using default WordPress theme like Twenty Thirteen as displayed in the flowchart on the following page to know which theme/ plugin is conflicting if any.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/getting-support/

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Saunt Valerian

Okay, I did the testing and these are my findings:

Google login
    I can confirm that the issue here is with Events+ plugin. With everything deactivated and on a default theme, Google login still errors out.

If it is any help, I know Google has changed its authentication protocols to be wrapped around in G+ these days. Here is where I went to create a Google+ Social Connect app https://cloud.google.com/console/project or https://console.developers.google.com/project In there, it creates API keys and such, just like Facebook and Twitter use. I think this is all a change from the older OAuth they were using and now making obsolete, which may account for the error.

Twitter login
    The conflict here is with the UserPro plugin (http://userproplugin.com/userpro/), which I am also using on the site to manage users. There is, however, still an issue with Events+ (I'll call it succeeding badly, which I'll describe below) I was using the same Twitter API App for Twitter login for both Events+ and UserPro. I did setup a new Twitter API App as part of this troubleshooting to see if using different API keys would have an impact. The results below are from using two different sets of API keys:

-- UserPro Twitter login works every time regardless of the settings in Events+
    -- Events+ fails if Twitter login in UserPro is active. Events+ succeeds badly when UserPro Twitter login is inactive. Succeeding badly describes that it opens the window at Twitter initially with a 404 error, on which it pauses briefly before refreshing to the acceptance page and then the redirect. This succeeds badly behavior was present in all cases of testing Events+ Twitter login. The "Twitter 404 Error Splash Screen" displayed even when I tested it with all the plugins off and in the default theme.

Support access to the site is still open for you and currently extended until 5 August. Feel free to sign and adjust any settings as needed confirm those findings. Just be sure to reset everything to the way it was when you logged in.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Saunt Valerian,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Google login
    I can confirm that the issue here is with Events+ plugin. With everything deactivated and on a default theme, Google login still errors out.

As i have mentioned in my previous reply that the issue may be causing by Google OpenID changes as Google has closed registration to new OpenID 2.0 clients in May 2014 therefore old hosts are working but not new.

I have already notified the plugin developer to get his invaluable reply here. He will reply here shortly.

Twitter login
    Succeeding badly describes that it opens the window at Twitter initially with a 404 error, on which it pauses briefly before refreshing to the acceptance page and then the redirect.

I could reproduce this issue on my test site using latest version of Events+ plugin therefore notified the plugin developer to fix it.

Thanks,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @matthew_nuzum,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

Posting on old threads can also lead to us missing your questions.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original thread starter

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for you.

If the current thread is relevant then please feel free to link back to this in your new one.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

Thanks for your understanding here. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Jack.