Events+ Upcoming Events Widget – Blows up sidebar

When I put in the upcoming events widget, my sidebar blows up. It looks like the calendar is 400px, and the upcoming events (hidden div until clicked?) are pushing my normal sidebar items out of the div.

Image included – click

I disabled it for now, but could set up a time to turn it back on if you want to test it.

Thanks!

http://reptile411.com/events/trade-shows-expos/

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings koskow,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

I do not know the coding within the widget that is possibly causing this phenomenon.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Thanks for including the screenshot. There’s no inherent reason why would the calendar take so much space and break your sidebar in this way, so I’m thinking, there’s possibly some sort of javascript and/or CSS conflict or issue. Have you perhaps noticed any warnings/errors in the javascript console (Ctrl+Shift+J in FF/Chrome)?

• koskow
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

It does show an uncaught SyntaxError – does this mean anything to you? I will leave it up on my page for a bit:

http://reptile411.com/events/trade-shows-expos/

<
    Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token <
    script >
    var
    getElementsByClassName = function(a, b, c) {
    if (document.getElementsByClassName) {
    c = c || document;
    var d = c.getElementsByClassName(a), e = b ? new RegExp("\b" + b + "\b", "i") : null, f = [], g;
    for (var h = 0, i = d.length; h < i; h += 1) {
    g = d[h];
    if (!e || e.test(g.nodeName)) {
    f.push(g)
    }
    }
    return f
    }
    } else if (document.evaluate) {
    b = b || "*";
    c = c || document;
    var d = a.split(" "), e = "", f = "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml", g = document.documentElement.namespaceURI === f ? f : null, h = [], i, j;
    for (var k = 0, l = d.length; k < l; k += 1) {
    e += "[contains(concat(' ', @class, ' '), ' " + d[k] + " ')]"
    }
    try {
    i = document.evaluate(".//" + b + e, c, g, 0, null)
    } catch (m) {
    i = document.evaluate(".//" + b + e, c, null, 0, null)
    }
    while (j = i.iterateNext()) {
    h.push(j)
    }
    return h
    }
    } else {
    b = b || "*";
    c = c || document;
    var d = a.split(" "), e = [], f = b === "*" && c.all ? c.all : c.getElementsByTagName(b), g, h = [], i;
    for (var j = 0, k = d.length; j < k; j += 1) {
    e.push(new RegExp("(^|\s)" + d[j] + "(\s|$)"))
    }
    for (var l = 0, m = f.length; l < m; l += 1) {
    g = f[l];
    i = false;
    for (var n = 0, o = e.length; n < o; n += 1) {
    i = e[n].test(g.className);
    if (!i) {
    break
    }
    }
    if (i) {
    h.push(g)
    }
    }
    return h
    }
    }
    return getElementsByClassName(a, b, c)
    },
    dropdowns = getElementsByClassName('dropdown-menu');
    for (i = 0; i < dropdowns.length; i++)
    dropdowns.onchange = function() {
    if (this.value != '')
    window.location.href = this.value;
    }
    </script>

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Thanks for leaving the widget up, it really helped. The syntax error is coming from a piece of included javascript towards the bottom of the page, where you have:

<script type="text/javascript">
    <script>

This script isn’t coming from the Events (it seems to have something to do with dropdown menus) and also, shouldn’t be affecting the display issue though. However, adding something like this to your stylesheet will help with the events calendar size:

.eab-upcoming_calendar_widget tr th, .eab-upcoming_calendar_widget tr td { padding: 4px 10px; }

Other then this, there seems to be some markup issue – there’s a couple of closing DIVs after the widget, but they aren’t coming from the widget. Can you please try adding a title to the Calendar Upcoming widget, and se eif that helps? This is so we can rule out a possible title wrapping issue.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Awesome, so we’re one step closer to a solution. Can you please add a title to your Calendar Upcoming widget? It’s possible that the theme is attempting to “wrap” sidebar widgets and needs a title set in order to get it done properly. If this is the case, adding a title in widget settings might solve the problem.

• koskow
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Awesome – moving in the right direction.

The calendar grew in size again. Also, the events don’t seem to be in order of event, but rather in order of being added to events+ – The also don’t seem to care what month you are on. For instance, if I move the calendar to november, it will still show the most recent upcoming events. Is there a way to display the events based on the month that they are in?

I have included a screenshot here: http://reptile411.com/images/events-sidebar.jpg

Thanks!

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven’t heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any way.

Please feel free to mark this is “Not resolved” in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers!

Tom

Sales &Support

Did you know we offer FREE lifetime memberships? Click here to learn more.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.