Events+ with PayPal showing not paid and IPN problems

Hi,
I'm having some problems I've seen in other threads, but without a conclusion. When people sign up for an event and pay with PayPal, it still shows them as having not paid.

My client tells me that they get notification emails from PayPal requesting to make sure the server handles PayPal IPN

I've configured Events+ so that the client's PayPal email address is set up, but I have a feeling that there may be some settings required on the PayPal side that I haven't done - nor did I find anything in the Events+ documentation about requiring any PayPal settings.

Could somebody please confirm if there's anything that needs to be setup up PayPal (eg a return URL)?
This may help solve my problem, and perhaps these other threads too:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/paypal-payments-on-events-not-showing-paid

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/paypal-warning-email-ipn-failing

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @urbanhaze,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question! :slight_smile:

With events+ the IPN return is dynamic, so you shouldn't need to set a URL at the PayPal side for the IPN, could you check with your clients, if they do have a IPN return URL set in PayPal for perhaps a e-commerce plugin or similar.

Also can you grant me support access please via your wp-admin > WPMU DEV > support > support access and click "Grant Access".

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• urbanhaze
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Jack,
    Thanks for the reply.
    No, there shouldn't be any existing IPN return set up on their PayPal account
    Support access is now active for the next 72 hours

If it's useful, one of the emails from PayPal says this:

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). Instant Payment Notifications sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

http://www.amateurdram.co.uk/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=eab_paypal_ipn&blog_id=1&booking_id=65
    http://www.amateurdram.co.uk/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=eab_paypal_ipn&blog_id=1&booking_id=66

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

Look forward to hearing from you.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @urbanhaze,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information, I've checked your site and all your settings are correct.

The PayPal URL is correct with the event ID being passed, (that was the cause of the other older issues, where the event ID wasn't being passed to PayPal).

Can you confirm your client has a verified PayPal client and also in the PayPal account > profile > IPN History, can you let me know the complete response please? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• urbanhaze

Hi Jack,
    We don't have IPN history available as it's only a personal account
    What's interesting is that we've had two more transactions and they're shown as marked as paid - even though we've not changed anything.
    The only thing that makes these transactions different is that they're for more than a single ticket.

OK so maybe going off on a tangent there - could you let me know if a Paypal personal account is sufficient (it could be that there are different requirements here in the UK) - otherwise how we get to what you need with the account that we've got please.

Many thanks
    --
    Nick

• urbanhaze

We've just had another purchase of a single ticket and that one has gone through OK and is marked as paid.

I'm guessing this is either an intermittent problem, or you've changed something, as we haven't changed anything here.
    Could you please advise?
    Thanks

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @urbanhaze,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

You shouldn't have to have a business account with PayPal, though I'd recommend it, as they do have strict limits on amounts that can be taken in a one month and twelve month period.

I can confirm we haven't changed anything, I've been discussing this with the lead developer of events+ and we believe this is a intermittent server issue (between PayPal and your server).

Have this stopped working again or is it still working? If it still doesn't work, please advise and we'll get together a debug version of events+ for you to try so we can get some error messages and any debug info we need. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• urbanhaze

Thanks @Jack,
    That's OK as it's a one-off charity event so there's no need for my client (the organiser) to worry as we won't be approaching any PayPal limits.
    The next event will have a different organiser again, so it's just a question of changing the PayPal account - understandably, folks won't want to upgrade their PayPal accounts for a one-off thing.

At the moment all seems to be working fine, so I agree with you that it must have been some intermittent fault. Interesting that some other people had the same problem on here - although theirs didn't seem to be intermittent.

Anyway, my only problem now is that there are a few people who have paid who are still being shown as unpaid, and I can't figure out how to manually mark them as paid - I had a look in the mySQL admin and there seems to be a table which looks like it has names and numbers of tickets, but there's no obvious field to show that they've paid - could you please point me in the right direction to resolve that issue please?

• urbanhaze

Actually you know - that'd probably be a useful development to have some tool to do just that and manually mark users as having paid - as some people like to pay by cash or cheque rather than electronically - it'd be great to be able to mark them as coming and paid

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @urbanhaze,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

We can indeed get these mark as paid manually, it's not the simplest of things to do, but here's how. :slight_smile:

Open up your database, say using PhpMyAdmin or similar.

We're using two tables,

wp_eab_bookings and wp_eab_booking_meta where "wp" is your database prefix.

We'll need to find the booking ID and search by both event ID and booking ID, so you'll need to go to the eab_bookings table and find a row that has

event_id=1234, user_id=1234 and status=yes

The value ID of that column is the booking ID, note that down. :slight_smile:

Now open eab_booking_meta table and search for that ID, such as

booking_id=BOOKING_ID

Now you should see a row that is

meta_key=booking_transaction_key

Change the value of that to the transaction key (the PayPal booking ID). If it doesn't exist, you'll need to create that.

I've also passed along your suggestion of a manual booking process and we agree that it would make a great addition, if we get some other requests as well, it's certainly something we can consider for future development. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.