everyone - We've got a new and interesting issue with our

Hi everyone -

We've got a new and interesting issue with our membership plugin.

When someone signs up as a free member, it does not automatically set their access level to free membership. It puts them in the system, but they have no subscription, no access level, and no role. We have to go in an adjust it manually every time. Do you know why that would be happening?

Also, if a free member upgrades to a paid member, that also has to be manually updated, which seems all kinds of silly to me. Why wouldn't they automatically advance to a basic paid membership?

Hopefully someone will have some ideas/suggestions as this is becoming a huge time suck for us.

Thanks -

Sue

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi @suecline,

This is the second tie I've seen this reported tonight... the first time I figured it was a config thing, but two in one night suggests it could be a bug.

I notice you are not using the latest version of the plugin... could you first update to see if that fixes it, and if it doesn't post here again and we'll take another look.

In the interim, I'll flag the developer to take a look. For reference, the other thread was here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-set-up-free-paid-subscriptions-correctly

• suecline
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Elliott,

I'll run the update in 4 hours - right now I'm still getting 3-5 signups per hour and I don't dare risk taking the site offline while folks are joining.

I'll update this thread as soon as I finish the update. And yes, it sounds like Tobbe and I are having similar issues although we're using Authorize.net instead of Paypal.

Thanks -

Sue

• suecline

Ok we've upgraded to 3.4.4.1 and are still experiencing the same issues.

If you want to take a look at the full system, use http://heav.org/signup and create a test account. If you let me know the details I'll bump up your permissions to see the membership backend (there is already a WPMU membership in place with those permissions, as well).

Thanks -

Sue

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

What are you using to generate your signup form? That's not a part of Membership. Does it somehow integrate with Membership to allocate the subscription plan?

I've set up a new login (ellbristow) I picked the free membership option in the drop down list.

If I go to the Join | Renew page and click the Join or Renew link I see the page created by membership that I was expecting. From there I hit the "Non-Member" option and it looks like gave me the free membership.

• suecline

Elliott,

We're using the Gravity Forms User Registration Add-On to generate the signup form. This also assigns you a 6 digit unique ID and pushes the data (using ping) into Salesforce while assigning the subscription type.

I'm attaching a screenshot of your membership (non-member/free) and as you can see, everything there looks dandy.

The problem(s) are happening when you try to upgrade from non-member/free to a paid subscription (see munchMembership screenshot, attached) - they end up showing up as both Non-member, Basic but with permissions of neither. This record has already been manually fixed but it shows the behavior we are seeing - basically each time this happens (and with 24k members it's more than you'd think) we've got to log in and manually edit the record.*

When someone moves between levels (free > paid) shouldn't their free access rights drop and the new higher access of paid take over automatically?

* Manually editing the record also changes their expiration date, which also seems odd to me. If you join today and we're giving you 364 days, I don't want an edit to your record next week to give you 6 more days.

I've bumped up your access rights so you can see this for yourself, too.

Thanks -

Sue

• suecline

Elliott,

Just a quick update to note, too, that while you did get a membership set up, your information did not flow into Salesforce (the information flows from the ping function, not Gravity forms fyi).

Thought that might be helpful info.

Thanks -

Sue

• suecline

Here are some good screenshots that illustrate the problem better.

Screenshot 1 shows what happens *sometimes* when people join - she joined as a Basic member, but did not get shown the merchant gateway options to pay for her membership.

Screenshot 2 shows the duplicate memberships and gaps - both conditions create problems for the person being able to see site content.

Thanks -

Sue

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Screenshot 1 shows what happens *sometimes* when people join - she joined as a Basic member, but did not get shown the merchant gateway options to pay for her membership.

Do the users get assigned subscriptions / shown the gateway options when you use the standard membership signup process rather than your custom interface?

The problem(s) are happening when you try to upgrade from non-member/free to a paid subscription (see munchMembership screenshot, attached) - they end up showing up as both Non-member, Basic but with permissions of neither.

What process are you using to upgrade the members? Is it the standard subscriptions page?

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

The duplicate membership are because you are directing upgrades to the "Register page" rather than the subscriptions page. Using the register page it is possible to sign up for multiple subscription plans.

As far as the gap is concerned... I notice the user was correctly assigned the Free Access level... is that not sufficient in this case as this is the default function of the plugin. if this is not what you want I would suggest NOT automatically assigning an access level on signup and forcing people to choose a subscription plan when they sign up.

Other than that... ^^ What Barry said! :slight_smile:

• suecline

@ Barry:

Step 1 is just a form to collect information for people not already in the CRM system (Salesforce), it then sends people to the registration page (http://heav.org/register-2/ log in required) then onto authorize.net.

To upgrade people, yes, we're using the standard subscription page (see register-2 as above) for renewals.

@ Elliott we are using both a Register and Subscriptions page. I'm not entirely sure how we could separate this out more. There will always be folks who want to upgrade from Free to Paid.

If we could have added the extra fields to the Registration process for the plugin we'd have used that, but we weren't able to do that.

Thanks -

Sue

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

To upgrade people, yes, we're using the standard subscription page (see register-2 as above) for renewals.

That's not the subscriptions page, it's a registration page - the subscriptions page shows the subscriptions a person is on and offers them buttons to upgrade.

Step 1 is just a form to collect information for people not already in the CRM system (Salesforce), it then sends people to the registration page (http://heav.org/register-2/ log in required) then onto authorize.net.

The problem we have is that you are using a custom signup page, so we don't know what it is doing / how it is working/ You say the users isn't signed up to a subscription / added to salesforce, but we can't debug it really without know a lot more about your integration - if it was standard Membership, then we would be able to help a lot quicker as we would have the same tools in front of us.

So if you can give us as much information about how you have set things up then we might be able to spot something :slight_smile:

• suecline

@Barry Sorry for the delay, I needed to install this on a clean site to make sure I remembered all the pieces and parts properly and of course that turned into a huge mess....

We are using Gravity Forms User Registration to collect information from new members at http://heav.org/signup. On submission, the form creates a unique 6 digit ID and sends the membership type, member name and member number over to Salesforce using the ping function. A better overview of what we were trying to accomplish is in the original thread here.

From the form, it then logs them into the site automatically and sends them to what I now understand is the Registration form at http://heav.org/register-2/. It also sends the new member an automated email with their HEAV ID, user name and password (basic WP default with a little hacking of customization).

From here they select the membership type (free or paid) and if they're paying, they are then presented with the authorize.net form same as anyone moving through the "normal" registration process would.

Why wasn't the subscription feature used? I am not sure and the team that helped us develop this haven't jumped in to comment, but ... we have had a lot of trouble in general with "Subscriptions", and I guess maybe even after 3 major installs I'm a little unclear on the whole darn process. Plus, the language on that page...oy...it's just SO wrong for how these sites are really being deployed.

Do you want me to strip out the actual code from the form and ping script and post it? I really need to get this resolved, since I've got a bunch more of these homeschooling sites to roll out and until I can get all the members in with the right permissions I'm hesitant to commit to this plugin fully.

Thanks -

Sue

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.