Exibition gallery feature that enlarges photos with slider broken,

My server manager found
Hey Mike,
It looks like there may be a problem with the theme. It seems that there are a bunch of javascript and CSS files that cannot be found:
"NetworkError: 404 Not Found - http://mamaisoninteriordesign.com/wp-content/themes/gallery/library/scripts/superfish.js?ver=3.2.1"
superf...r=3.2.1
"NetworkError: 404 Not Found - http://mamaisoninteriordesign.com/wp-content/themes/gallery/library/scripts/custom.js?ver=3.2.1"
custom...r=3.2.1
"NetworkError: 404 Not Found - http://mamaisoninteriordesign.com/wp-content/themes/gallery/library/scripts/jquery.pajinate.min.js?ver=3.2.1"
jquery...r=3.2.1
"NetworkError: 404 Not Found - http://mamaisoninteriordesign.com/wp-content/themes/gallery/_inc/css/layout.css"
layout.css
"NetworkError: 404 Not Found - http://mamaisoninteriordesign.com/wp-content/themes/gallery/_inc/css/bp-default.css"

Maybe Ma-Maison had an older version of the theme and an update broke it? I was looking in the theme zip for these files and none of them exist. I went back a few versions and after looking as far back as 1.2.3 I couldn’t find any of these files. This makes me think that maybe there is another problem separate from the missing files, only because I don’t think they would have functionality broken that long.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Are you both using the latest version for parent AND child? Because there is no reference to those CSS files in the latest version. If you can both grab the latest version and try please - it was put up a few days ago.

I can offer a patch for the js ones as confirm those - it's the CSS doesn't make sense as not even referenced.

The other css ones though aren't even referenced in files.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Yep, that's what I did yesterday - deleted my local copy, re-downloaded 1.4.4, unzipped and searched for the files.

I see a reference to superfish.js on line 65 of functions.php but no superfish.js in library/scripts

Same with custom.js which is referenced on line 66 of functions.php

Just realised I got the third one wrong - I see no reference to jquery.pajinate.min.js at all.

Yep, the CSS ones I can't confirm...

@postively network Can you completely delete the gallery theme from your site (keep a backup) and re-upload a freshly downloaded copy please? I suspect you have parts of an old version knocking around causing some of those errors.

Thanks,
    Phil

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Right as confirmed yes see in js but you were saying CSS also hence needed clarification. I will look into an update but just 404 files for those 2 won't impact the actual site as we've used a different library. There will be an update for it coming though to remove those 2 files.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

No no, I wasn't asking you to look at the CSS;

The first three files referenced in those errors are definitely called for in the theme despite not being present, so I'll ask the developer to look at that.

Just waiting on the member for the CSS stuff now...

Phil

• positively network
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Phil
    not sure what info you want with the css, I haven't done anything custom with the css. The one site Ma maison was working ok, I think until a theme upgrade was attempted ( fyi-The other main plug in at the same time was the wpmu notice upgrade). My developer won't be able to back up and reload the themes until tomorrow night. Should he wait for the latest theme update? Tammie mentioned there was a new one coming. Any thoughts on this problem being resovled soon? I need to get it fixed for the Ma maison as I was nearly ready to launch. Should I be looking at another theme for the Vanville site as this issue is delaying and putting me behind for the development for this project.
    Thanks Mike

• positively network

Hi
    I had a look on the more current site upload and noticed that when I did the upgrade I may have not done it right or... but the parent theme version is 1.4.4 and the child is 1.4.3 ( This could be an upgrade issue as all was good with older site until doing upgrades)
    Thanks Mike

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Okay, in that case you'll want to compare the latest version of the theme with the versions (parent and child) that you have installed.

You could use a tool like DiffMerge to see where the differences are - that'll tell you whether there are differences that you need to cover off by upgrading.

Thanks

• positively network

Hi Phil
    We up-loaded the current versions, here are the comments from my developer.

I reinstalled the gallery theme on the ma maison site (Both the main and child) they are at 1.4.4 now.
    I am still showing the same javascript errors:
    "NetworkError: 404 Not Found - http://mamaisoninteriordesign.com/wp-content/themes/gallery/library/scripts/jquery.pajinate.min.js?ver=3.2.1"
    jquery...r=3.2.1
    "NetworkError: 404 Not Found - http://mamaisoninteriordesign.com/wp-content/themes/gallery/library/scripts/superfish.js?ver=3.2.1"
    superf...r=3.2.1
    "NetworkError: 404 Not Found - http://mamaisoninteriordesign.com/wp-content/themes/gallery/library/scripts/custom.js?ver=3.2.1"
    custom...r=3.2.1
    jQuery("a[rel=exhibition_gallery]").fancybox is not a function

Do we have a gallery themed site that isn’t broken?

Looking at the generated HTML, it looks like jquery.fancybox-1.3.4.js is not being included anywhere. I searched through the gallery theme source code and couldn’t find any reference to this file either.

I found that if I added the following to the functions.php file
    wp_enqueue_script( "jquery-fancybox", get_template_directory_uri() . "/library/scripts/fancybox/jquery.fancybox-1.3.4.js" , $version);

the gallery part of the theme started working. I would say that there is still some kind of problem with their theme.

• positively network

My dev guy asked if I had a working version on another site. I looked and found an older version on an MU site that wasn't upgraded. The version is Gallery 1.07. The main site is running 3.2.1. I set up a test sub site and tried to get the gallery exibition working but no luck same issue with the lightbox/slider not working.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Okay, thanks for that. I've now found the offending code and confirmed the errors myself.

I can see this on lines 64-66 of functions.php;

wp_enqueue_script( "jquery-pagination", get_template_directory_uri() . "/library/scripts/jquery.pajinate.min.js" , $version);
    		wp_enqueue_script( "jquery-superfish", get_template_directory_uri() . "/library/scripts/superfish.js" , $version);
    		wp_enqueue_script( "jquery-custom", get_template_directory_uri() . "/library/scripts/custom.js" , $version);

Although those files don't exist in the theme files. Note also the incorrect spelling of paginate.

I get the errors in my fresh tests as well so I'll pass this on to the developer for fixing.

Thanks,
    Phil

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

It's not miss spelling as said previously that is a script name. A fix will be out in 24 hours but as said before a missing file is not going to break the theme. There is no offending code. I still think you have more issues.

Let me deal with you and this though the many voices is only confusing when we want a solution.

• positively network

Tried the latest version on both sites, no luck same issue. My Developer put in his fix to the completed site so it works, but we have left the newer development site to wait for a soloution before having to look for another theme option, I would like to make a theme decision Monday/Tuesday next week. I'm concerned about future updates etc. having to use a "fix" from my developer.
    Hope you can help.
    Thanks Mike

Fix
    I found that if I added the following to the functions.php file
    wp_enqueue_script( "jquery-fancybox", get_template_directory_uri() . "/library/scripts/fancybox/jquery.fancybox-1.3.4.js" , $version);

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Erm that file is linked internally it uses nivo slider.

I really don't know we're not getting reports from other users about this and I can't replicate outside. Bit of a puzzler really. However, lets get to the future point. If you put your changes in the child functions.php and don't update the child theme functions.php - you won't have an issue. That would be my recommendation for you to do. We encourage use of child themes so this fits right in there.

Hope that clarifies and helps with your concerns.

• positively network

Hi Tammie
    New info below to try and clarify and make sure we are communicating the correct problems we are having with the Gallery theme.

http://mamaisoninteriordesign.com Home page slider always worked, never an issue.

Problem area:
    http://mamaisoninteriordesign.com/exhibition/living-dining-room
    when you click on a picture, it was only opening the one photo instead of opening a gallery of all the images in that exhibition.

We put in a fix to get the galley working on this site which you now see, but today I found another issue that may or may not be related to our fix.
    I get the error below when I clicked on a photo in a post
    http://mamaisoninteriordesign.com/?attachment_id=83
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_the_attachment_link() in /home/mamaison/public_html/wp-content/themes/gallery/library/functions/loop-functions.php on line 324

Latest Notes from my developer

I’m trying to understand the disconnect between what Tammie is describing and what we are experiencing. I think that the MU guys think we are having a problem with the Slider (Ie: what appears on the landing page and moves between images), when, in fact, we are having problems with the image gallery functionality.

If you could ask them to search through the source code and tell us where “jquery.fancybox-1.3.4.js” is referenced / included I think it would get them on the right track to fixing the problem (I can’t find any reference to this file, so unless they are doing something fancy, that could be the problem). On their Demo page, the fancybox js file is referenced directly from the HTML, so this makes me think that they aren’t doing something non-standard to include it. I wonder if the gallery demo page (http://themetastic.com/buddypress/?wptheme=Gallery) is using the most recent version of Gallery?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

It works outside your install that is the point. I'm not even sure you are expecting what you see on the site. What exact in simple terms are you trying to do and where do you see it working on our demo for the theme?

Has your developer done any code changes - if that is the case I'd suggest trying a vanilla site. Can you link to me a site without any changes at all and no plugins that you can see the issue on?

I agree with them on one fact there is disconnect between what you are saying and I think even what the theme does out of the box. I need to push this back to clear terms then we can see from there.

I would like to try and remove all factors get down to seeing it plain and simple then I can work out from there.

• positively network

Hi Tammie

I just checked out the Gallery demo and you are right, I did not find the feature I am looking for. Maybe this was was taken out of the new updated versions, it was working in the theme when I started dev in the summer. The feature I am talking about is the same one on the wpmu site, when I go to the Gallery theme and go to the view screen shots area, I click on a screen shot and a box pops up enlarging the the photo allowing me to click and scroll through all of the screen shots-next-previous e.g.. This is not on the demo site now, when a photo is clicked it opens bigger with out the option to scroll the rest of the pic's.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

The demo hasn't been changed yet for the latest version and we've not changed the way that behaves. Now, it may be your developer has done something that changes it. This site uses a different script to do this. I'm sure if you show the developer what you are after they can code this for you though.

• positively network

Hi Tammie
    I only use out of the box solutions, my developer is acutally a server manager and set up person, he's never done any custom coding for me until we ran into this issue and while trying to find a solution he came up with a fix. I started with the this theme dev in the summer ( July ) and this feature was working with the theme we installed until about a week ago when an update was done. I liked the theme and started to use it on another project. I got part way through that site set up, didn't notice about this feature, updated this theme as well at the same time and no feature.

This is a feature that I see on alot of other sites and seems somewhat standard. Is the answer that the the Gallery theme does not have this? "The feature I am talking about is the same one on the wpmu site, when I go to the Gallery theme and go to the view screen shots area, I click on a screen shot and a box pops up enlarging the the photo allowing me to click and scroll through all of the screen shots-next-previous e.g.."

• positively network

sorry about going on about this but I have a bunch of work into this and want to make sure before starting over with a new theme. The Gallery theme is to showcase photo's but the user needs to open and close each photo one at a time? does the Gallery page option vs the exibition able to allow the preview of the photos in a pop up box with previous/next. Can you suggest another of your theme's that will showcase photo/project galleries, in this case for interior designers. I'm not a dev but I think it's called a light box, I got it up on the wpmu theme page screen shots.

or another theme with this feature or something like it.

• positively network

I just checked the Gallery description and it tells about a customized "lightbox script"...........
    "Put it simply Gallery shows off your content. Gallery comes in 2 variations: Basic: You can set a page template and use the built in WordPress gallery along with a customised lightbox script. Advanced: You create images using the custom post types method and galleries using custom post categories"

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

A lightbox script does not mean what you are saying it literally means a lightbox not that it goes between each image. Now, we can take enhancement requests for the theme and it sounds like a good one but we can't guarantee or say when this would happen.

• positively network

Thanks for attention to this. I guess the thing I'm wondering about is that this was definitly there before, I worked with it and looked at it weekly over the last few months, it was the reason I was working with this theme and was going to use it for another site. It does seem to be a feature that should be in a photo showcase, I don't think the user should have to or want to open and close each photo. Is this something that can be updated in theme in the short term? I'm really warry about using custom code options in case I loose my dev person or have upgrade issues, and I'm also warry of non wpmu plug in's that might conflict.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Can you pin point the version it was in that worked? Happy to do a test with that version and no plugins.

Short term this wouldn't be an update but we may look at it within a month or so. I certainly can have it put on the list as a feature request. It would move to a bug (high priority fix) if you can let me know the version you saw it in and I can replicate though.

• positively network

Hi, Developer Here:
    I think we have gotten a bit off topic. The heart of the problem is that Gallery 1.4.5 does not include the fancybox javascript file.

I have done a completely fresh install of wordpress, along with an install of the Gallery 1.4.5 theme here:
    http://mica.rockies.51systems.com:8888/wordpress/?post_type=exhibition&p=6

When you load the page in firebug, you get the error
    jQuery("a[rel=exhibition_gallery]").fancybox is not a function

Furthermore, if you view the source for the page and search for fancybox you will find that the fancybox css file is included in the html but the javascript file is not. This is confirmed if you search through the source on the server as there is no place where the javascript file is referenced from the theme.

Compare this to the gallery theme on themtastic: http://themetastic.com/buddypress/gallery/
    where there is no javascript error on load and we see the following files being included in the HTML page:

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://themetastic.com/buddypress/wp-content/themes/gallery/library/scripts/fancybox/jquery.fancybox-1.3.4.pack.js?ver=3.0'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript' src='http://themetastic.com/buddypress/wp-content/themes/gallery/library/scripts/fancybox/jquery.mousewheel-3.0.4.pack.js?ver=3.0'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript' src='http://themetastic.com/buddypress/wp-content/themes/gallery/library/scripts/fancybox/jquery.easing-1.3.pack.js?ver=3.0'></script>

none of these files appear in the HTML generated by the Gallery 1.4.5 theme.

I will consider this issue resolved when:
    1. The gallery theme is updated to include the fancybox script.
    2. The theme on theamtastic is updated to reflect the current version of the gallery theme.

Thank you

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

I will review this over the next few days but please keep your tone civil. It is very hard to support two voices do lets keep to one of the person whose membership it is. I will update within 24 hours as to my findings. I will note I was told you weren't a developer if you are then that's fine but there is a lot of cross information which helps nobody.

As I have said numerous times on fresh install with no plugins I get no error. I will investigate the page you said and take from there. I will be testing using a vanilla site and latest child and parent. If you haven't done so using those please do while you wait for me to get back.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

I just grabbed some time for this actually - forgot wasn't available tomorrow so felt should jump into it.

We were using an alternative method however... in light of your feature request what I have done is reverted that change to go back to using fancybox and the forward / backwards. It actually only used that for one release looking back as it was problematic. I also made sure this was tweaked a little as wasn't so smooth previously hence move away from it.

I hope this ends this thread and in future if we can keep to one voice and reasonable it will help. It just complicates things otherwise. We don't need to demand we work together here.

As an aside you need to activate permlinks really for using custom post types - we'd recommend that. I also found the server to be very slow to load in fact it timed out on me. I assume maybe a hiccup with it though? If that can be sorted in future should we need a link I can check it - unfortunately wasn't able to get to site to check the link.

• positively network

Tammie,
    Yes, this does resolve our issue.
    Thank you very much for your hard work and dedication to resolving this issue. I feel that you have gone above and beyond the call of duty with your investigations and off-hour prompt responses. It can be very challenging to resolve problems with multiple stakeholders providing input, believe me, I've been there.

Thanks again for all your help

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.