Existing Memberships marked as Expired with Membership2 Update

Need some immediate help! Just upgraded Membership 2 plugin and some of our existing Members are being marked expired!

See screenshots of the new Subscription Details screen (which I love by the way!) of a user that was marked as expired when they shouldn't have been.

The user start and end dates are correct, but the status is doing some validation to mark it as expired.

Originally Founder Membership was 39.99 and we had several promo codes for our launch that would have the price be 0.00, 19.99, or 29.99. We increased the price to 49.99 this week and it looks like the accounts that didn't pay full price are being marked as expired.

Originally when we installed Protected Content we were told that if a user pays 29.99 it will remain at that price until promo code uses are used up (so long as they renew and don't get expired.) However it looks like these accounts now are being required to pay the 49.99 even though they paid 29.99 for their first year and shouldn't expire until July 2016.

I discovered this error while updated a Page and testing it with the account SCOLUCCI. I was able to login and see the page, ran the membership update and then it marked his account as Expired.

Worse, is we have had a lot of problems with accounts being set up properly in the last 3 months and finally got a handle on ways to manually Activate a membership. We just want to make sure we can take care of our Members that are already with us.

Please help!

Support access is ACTIVE until August 8, 2015 4:45 pm

BTW we LOVE the new changes to Billing screen. So confusing before and with the check boxes and Red due dates its great! Also the Failed Transaction Notice is great!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @jenn,

Yikes, that's no good!

To keep the subscription statuses from changing temporarily, could you please insert this define into your site's wp-config.php:

define( "MS_LOCK_SUBSCRIPTIONS", true );

Also, in terms of re-instating an expired membership for a user, you'd first want to set it to "Deactivated (no access)" (please note the end date before doing this, as the membership will be removed), and then after saving the changes, you'll then want to go choose the subscription again, and add it to him. Then, once it's set, you'll want to specify the end date, so that it'll expire when the time comes.

Now, in tackling the problem itself, I'd like to ask... regarding this:

I was able to login and see the page, ran the membership update and then it marked his account as Expired.

You mean that when you updated to Membership 2 Pro 1.0.1, his membership was expired? If so, what version did you upgrade from?

Or did you mean something else?

Please advise,
    Michael

• jenn

This was very helpful, thank you!

in terms of re-instating an expired membership for a user, you'd first want to set it to "Deactivated (no access)" (please note the end date before doing this, as the membership will be removed), and then after saving the changes, you'll then want to go choose the subscription again, and add it to him. Then, once it's set, you'll want to specify the end date, so that it'll expire when the time comes.

Regarding your question to my comment :
    You mean that when you updated to Membership 2 Pro 1.0.1, his membership was expired? If so, what version did you upgrade from?

Yes, the upgrade is what created the expiration errors.

I login as Admin in Firefox and do membership level testing in IE.
    In IE I signed in as my test account to work on a Members Page that has separate protected content messages with in it.
    After saving my changes to the page I executed a few plugin updates including Membership2 1.0.1.
    I then returned back to IE to test my changes and I received the Protected Content Messages instead of seeing the content. I thought I had the wrong IDs but then noticed I couldn't access my Members menu. I logged out and logged in again and was able to view the Members Account page but the user's status was marked as Expired instead of Active even though the end date was set to 6/25/16.

I then went and checked our active (paid) members and found all but 2 were marked as Expired!

I took screenshots and came here for help.

• jenn

Through this process with the all of the changes and work arounds we have had to do, the simple structure of Visitor, Member, Free doesn't work for us, so if you use the Support method to look into our account you will see we have made a lot of changes to membership levels as well as executed the work around Deactive/Reinstate you mentioned above to give our members access to the site again.

• jenn

Thankfully we just launched in July and only have a handful of members so I was able to go through just now and manually make the override to active them again.

This is concerning, though since those members have had a lot of trouble with accounts working, getting access, etc. I just feel like I put them through another confusing step... especially if the automated responses go out saying they were deactivated, congratulations for signing up and you know have to pay more money.

Though its my own fault for not backing up everything before doing such an important update. I know better.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @jenn,

Regarding those screenshots you shared, I've gotten word from the developer that it is indeed a bug, the problem here being that the payment does not match the membership price (49.99), so it's thinking that there's still payment due.

He'll be working on this one here, to get it sorted. :slight_smile:

@Joakim, glad to hear that it's working so far, just bear in mind that the define I mentioned is a temporary measure, the idea being to stop the members from being expired while we looked into the issue on your thread.

I say it's a temporary measure, because no memberships will be expired while that define's in place, even if they genuinely expired (i.e. a member didn't pay the renewal fee when it came time to renew).

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Joakim

Sure Michael, I know that and I need you to fix this ASAP because with this bug, the plugin is almost useless :slight_smile: Looking forward to an update. It's not that bad when a few members get premium longer, I just hope that they will then expire normally with the fix (although they are overdue so to speak). By the way, all my memberships expires, even though there is no change in price (for instance, I've got a free life time membership that I've assigned a couple of members. They expired too.)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.