exporting posts only for one WP site to another exactly (including everything and featured image)?

Hey folks,

What is the most reliable way to export posts only for one WP site and import to another exactly (including everything and featured image)? WordPress import does not do it well and is missing featured images (but does just about all else).

What is the best methods? Need posts to look and feel exactly like the original.

Posts ONLY and nothing else though.

:slight_smile:

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello Greg

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

You can leverage WordPress supplied default import/export mechanism for your this requirement. :slight_smile:

Then to import, just use supplied import tool, but this time install Wordpress Importer and then import.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Milan

• Greg
    • The Exporter

Milan

I know about that tool and have used it, but the wrong featured image always come through. Everything else is fine but the featured images are all wrong. I have tested it by importing only one category with one post and it works . . . but, it does not use the correct featured image.

How can it be assured that the correct featured imaged is used for the post(s) with this method though?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Greg!

I never experienced any issues with "native" WordPress export/import tool but it's possible this is related either to a theme that you're using or some server setting is affecting this. I think you may want to try this plugin instead:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/csv-import-export/

This is another solution that's quite popular though I'm not sure if a limited set of features in free version will be good enough for you. Take a look here please:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-all-import/

Let me know please if any of these plugins helped!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Greg
    • The Exporter

Adam Czajczyk

Yea and a lot of other folks have the same problem. Here is how to reproduce (it is not theme or plugin related etc):

All works perfect (when importing all pages, posts, and media).

Please test like this . . .

Go to Posts and then ONLY choose to export from one category. Then, when you import the post will be there fine except the featured image will either not be there or be wrong.

Have you tried it like that?

I resorted to choosing all export (pages, posts, and media) and then import. Then, delete pages I did not want. That was the workaround.

Let me know what you think given this?

P.S. Yes, thanks for that other plugin . . . have been looking at that one too . . .

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Greg,

Thanks for your replay!

I admit it's possible that I always used the "full" export/import since I used the tool mostly to either import "test content" (for develpment) to WP or to move entire content to a new/other site. Google confirms that this seems like a common problem and a brief search also confirms exactly the issue that you're experiencing. I didn't found any solid solution for this though except the same workaround that you shared (that's suggested multiple times across various forums).

I did however found yet another plugin that may be of help here as according to its author it was created because of this issue:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/export-featured-images/

That said, I'm afraid we'll have to stick to these workarounds until it will be fixed by WP Import/Export plugins developers or in WP core.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.