Extend Supporter for Free Without Using a Gateway?

I want to experiment with the idea of offering supporter upgrades for free for relatively short time periods. (Monthly? Weekly?) The idea is to encourage members to return frequently to re-up (i.e., extend) their accounts to keep all the great supporter benefits. Extra space, Analytics, keep ads of their content (Supporter Advertising plugin), etc..

I'll do what I can to keep them active and returning frequently and make offers via Admin ads and newsletters. If they stop coming, I continue to benefit from any ad revenue. They show up a year later, they are good for another month (or whatever).

Is it possible to do this without them going through a payment gateway?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

If they already have a subscription through paypal or amazon they'd have to cancel that as adding time on manually through the supporter plugin won't change their subscription date.

You can manually give someone a free extension though. You just go to the Network Admin>Settings>Supporter page and choose 'Modify a Blog'.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

• Christopher Price
    • The Incredible Code Injector

masonjames, I'm afraid that doesn't scale. I don't use any of your gateways as I use my own billing system for lots of different products and I need to keep it all in one place. So, I have to extend users manually by the "modify a blog" you suggest.

What I would like to do is have the users extend for *FREE* for 30 days (without my having to modify the blog manually). Active users (those that have extended supporter in the past 30 days) get all of the supporter perks. Any blog that hasn't extended recently, gets a restriction of features and ads put on their blog. So, basically what I'm trying to implement is the blog version of a dead man's switch.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Christopher,

I see your point - that's just not something the Supporter plugin can handle at this point. We are actively developing the next version of Supporter which will be hugely more capable of a number of things. Feel free to add this idea as a 'feature request' for the version and I'll let the devs know you're interested. Otherwise, you'll need a custom solution coded for you until we can fit this in - something like a free gateway plugin for supporter.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.