Extending Wiki Plugin (adding file upload and video)

I'm trying to allow my users to/:

Embed video in a wiki entry - I've had mixed success utilizing the [embed] tags (they don't seem to work well for popular video hosting sites in china [ie. http://www.youku.com

Allow users to attach documents to the wiki entry in the front end

Lastly I want to:
Make wiki revisions require Admin approval before overwriting the live version (this applies to new entries as well)

• aecnu

Greetings davidho,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for this bringing this significant issue to our attention.

I am wondering if the MarcTV Video Embed plugin would indeed be a good solution for this subject.

Lastly I want to:
    Make wiki revisions require Admin approval before overwriting the live version (this applies to new entries as well)

This would indeed be a feature request but I want to try to help the video issue out before sending this to feature requests.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• davidho

Thanks Joe!

I'll take a look at that plugin and get back to you!
    Update - that plugin doesn't seem to do the trick - from what I read it just presents users with an image they need to click before the embed code will be loaded on the page - this doesn't seem to address the issue of the auto-embed functionality not working for sites like youku.com

Do you have any insight about how I could add document attachment functionality to wiki in the front end while users are editing?

This is somewhat out-of-scope but do you know offhand if that last feature request I detailed is found in most open source wiki solutions!

-David

• davidho

Hi Joe,

After doing a bit more poking around I found that solving my first 2 problems would be possible by allowing the plugin to give options about whether or not the different users levels have access to the upload media function available to admins when editing the wikis through the front or backend.

I'm able to attach files and upload videos via the front end when logged in as admin - however other users have access to a more limited wisiwyg with no "upload media" functionality (no link above the text box while editing)

Would you be able to advise where I can tell my dev guys to start digging in order to allow different user levels access to the upload media function via the front end?

-Cheers!

• aecnu

Greetings David,

Thank you for your additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

I admit that I am not a user of Wiki's but after looking over our Wiki plugin and the way it appears to work I think it was intended to allow only those that are authorized to post to actually post.

And if this is indeed the case, it would obviously be trusted folks posting and no need to monitor the posts.

In my personal business model I pretty much engage in only things that bring in recurring income that primarily run automatically and the feature of per-approval of course would be contrary to that business model.

Regarding on the front end adding documents, with the thought of a wiki of my own and considering it would be a document, I would find that attaching documents would indeed be contrary to the model of the wiki, then why not just have a document directory?

But that is just me and my perspective which it is not relevant to your goals and aspirations.

Therefore I will do what I can to help your requests if at all possible. After taking a look into the WordPress repository I do see plenty of Wiki related plugins and perhaps one of them may be more suited to your needs though no doubt I am willing to approach our Wiki plugin lead developer into to possibly crafting in the features you desire.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• davidho

Hi Joe,

I've actually been through most of those other wiki plugins - your plugin is the best in my opinion outside of integrating a mediawiki installation into a wordpress installation (more involved implementation and far more features that required on this project.) I'm about 70% decided on using this plugin and having my dev guys build it out to where we need it as opposed to going the mediawiki integration route.

A little background on this particular situation:
    In brief my client sells something akin to legos for robot developers - a series of individual pieces as well as kits that consist of several pieces in one package. The product allows people to develop robot prototypes.

What they would like the site to be able to do is allow for signed in users to update documentation on "applications" of these products. There is a community of users/customers behind my customers products and they are constantly developing new & novel "applications" using various combinations of pieces and kits.

The client desires each application page to contain text, video embeds, and attachments. Any signed in user can add new applications or edit other entries (hopefully with a degree of moderation).

The only bits that are missing from this wiki plugin, that I'm hopeful we can build out without too much difficulty, is the ability for signed in users to embed video and attach documents.

About the moderation, I think I can sort out a procedural workaround for an approval process, perhaps an offline qualification step for users, that will circumvent the need for admin moderation of updates.

I too am a fan of automation however the way this customers business works full automation is a bit out of reach.

About the suggestion of simply using a document - I understand the conflict as content in attachments could just as easily be published within the wiki page itself - I believe the customer wants this feature in order to make it easier for customer to share documentation they created (ie. it's easier to attach a PDF then copy and paste all the information into the wiki itself and reformat it).

Would you or someone on the team be able to advise about where to start poking around to change which user levels has access to the upload media functionality via the front end?

I appreciate the energy your putting towards supporting me on this!

Thanks again Joe!

-David

• davidho

Hi Joe,

Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear.

I am able to attach documents when I'm logged in as an admin via the Upload/Insert and "Add Media" button which calls upon the wordpress upload media utility.

Users below admin level (ie someone who signs up for an account on the website front end) do not see the "upload/insert" and "add media" buttons while editing wikis and are therefore unable to attach documents to the wiki entry.

Does that make sense?

-David

• aecnu

Greetings David,

Thank you for the additional input, you were spot on and clear as a bell this time and I got the idea now :slight_smile:

Have you tried a role editor to adjust the role to allow these lower roles to have access to these functions?

Perhaps the Advanced Access Manager plugin or User Role Editor plugin will allow you to set the role to have the ability to attach documents?

Be sure to backup your database before activating either of these products in which you might want to use the Snapshot plugin to accomplish this backup task.

Please advise if you can indeed adjust the role to allow the applicable user role to add attachments.

Cheers, Joe

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.