External Links

I'd like to have my custom external links open in a new tab. I searched through the code for Ultimate Branding but I'm unsure where to add target="_blank".

Can someone please tell me where this would go? Thank you.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings e4girl,

Thank you for the great question.

It would be in your best interest to not make a core files change if necessary because when it comes time to update we get messed over and have to recreate/reincorporate our changes, therefore a plugin would be preferred if possible.

With that said, lets see if the Open external links in a new window plugin can do the job for us.

Please advise.

Looking forward to hearing form you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• e4girl
    • Flash Drive

Hello, Joe!

Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work on admin plugins. I did a search through the plugins for opening external links in a new window but all seem to work only on the website itself, not admin pages.

Do you have another suggestion? Or would it be possible to add this as option into the Ultimate Branding plugin?

Thank you!

• e4girl
    • Flash Drive

Hi, again, Joe!

Sorry for so many posts but I was able to change the plugin I found to work for what I need by changing the Stylesheet Tags.

Anyway, I just wanted to share in case anyone needs this in the future. Unfortunately, Ultimate Branding adds the Title of the link into the CSS (rather than admin, site, external) so it's not the cleanest solution but it works.

For example, if I have a link with the title "Support", I changed the plugin stylesheet tags to:

#wpadminbar .quicklinks ul li#wp-admin-bar-wdcab_root ul li#wp-admin-bar-wdcab_support a

I can add multiple links this way for all my "external" links. The reason I wanted to do this is because I don't want my client to leave their admin pages if they need support.

I have tested this on my single install WP 3.5 site. Hope this helps someone else as well!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings e4girl,

Thank you for letting us know and happy to see that you managed to get this sorted.

I am also sending you some rep points for taking the time to post how you fixed/tweaked it to work for you.

Have a GREAT upcoming Christmas Holiday!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.