Extremely screwed up redirections

Problem #1:

I have a main site (mainsite.com) and 2 subsites (subsite1.com & subsite2.com).

I'm using the pro-sites, no email verification, set password on multisite blog creation, multi-domains, domain mapping, & join-my-multisite plugins.

Problem #1:
When a new user successfully creates an account on sub1, they see a confirmation/welcome page that displays their username and password while they are still on sub1. Now, when the click on ANY link on this page including menus and widgets links, they are taken to the mainsite where they reach a page not found error. For example, on the confirmation/welcome page, all sub1 links eg., sub1.com/home, sub1.com/blog, sub1.com/contact, etc., redirect the user to mainsite.com/home, mainsite.com/blog, etc. When the user has been redirected to the mainsite, the address bar remains sub1.com BUT the content of the page is mainsite.com, almost as if there's some type of url cloaking/i-frame going on. When the user hits the "back" button or refreshes the page that they are on, the subsite works well again and the error is corrected. So this problem takes place right after the initial registration and subsequent page views/navigating are OK.

Problem #2:
If I remove/disable/delete the email verification plugin the following happens. On Sub1, the user successfully creates their account and is taken to the welcome/confirmation page. Since they are now required to verify their email, they see the notice informing them to do so. The user then proceeds to their inbox to verify the link. To the user's surprise (and my dismay), the email with the confirmation link/code is being sent from Sub2. Yes, subsite2.com email being sent to a sum1 new member. Not only that, when the new member clicks the verification link, they are taken straight to subsite2.com INSTEAD of subsite1.com, where they had originally registered. Once they click on their verification link, they are confirmed on Sub2 and there is no mention whatsoever of sub1, as if this was all intentional. When the user manually types in the url of subsite1.com, they realized that their account has been activated there too.

Problem #3 (and the least of my headaches)
Using the aforementioned plugins WITH THE ADDITION of Buddypress, when a new user goes to subsite2.com and intentionally registers on subsite2, on the confirmation/welcome page they see the username field but it's blank and the password field that is also blank. This is a hassle because, if the user did not set their own password and relied instead on the system to generate them one, the have no way of copying or writing down that password. Yes, even though they are logged in right after registration, they cannot change their password yet because they have to first input their current one (which was randomly generated AND failed to appear on the confirmation page). Now they have to and reset their password, but it gets better. They are then taken to the mainsite.com where the password is reset and no link or mention of subsite2.com where they membership resides.

Please can someone solve this migraine causing mess. Thanks

• Tyler Postle

Hey there Sazi,

Hope you're doing well today!

Which site is this issue happening on? Would you mind granting support access in-case we need to test it out and take a closer look?

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

I tried signing up to one of your sites, the main site; however, the entire site seemed to be blocked after trying to login, not sure if that's the problem site or not - it was the .net one.

It looks like these issues could be due to a conflict with the join my multisite plugin, can you deactivate that and see if the issues are still happening? That will help narrow it down :slight_smile:

If I remove/disable/delete the email verification plugin the following happens. On Sub1, the user successfully creates their account and is taken to the welcome/confirmation page. Since they are now required to verify their email, they see the notice informing them to do so. The user then proceeds to their inbox to verify the link. To the user's surprise (and my dismay), the email with the confirmation link/code is being sent from Sub2. Yes, subsite2.com email being sent to a sum1 new member.

So the user signs up on subsite2, but the verification email sends them to subsite1 instead of subsite2? That is odd, I would expect it to send them to the mainsite if not subsite2. Default would be the mainsite; however, with your joint my multisite plugin it will likely change that.

Using the aforementioned plugins WITH THE ADDITION of Buddypress, when a new user goes to subsite2.com and intentionally registers on subsite2, on the confirmation/welcome page they see the username field but it's blank and the password field that is also blank.

This is likely a plugin conflict as well. I tested this on my own install and the username/password displayed as expected.

After you grant support access let us know so we can take a closer look here and try to replicate the issue :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• sazi

Hi Tyler,

Which site is this issue happening on? Would you mind granting support access in-case we need to test it out and take a closer look?

I have went ahead and granted access as instructed.

I tried signing up to one of your sites, the main site; however, the entire site seemed to be blocked after trying to login, not sure if that's the problem site or not - it was the .net one.

The site having the problems is the blogs.com site. The main site is not yet open to the public, just the subsites.

It looks like these issues could be due to a conflict with the join my multisite plugin, can you deactivate that and see if the issues are still happening? That will help narrow it down :slight_smile:

If I deactivate the join my multisite plugin, new members would have to sign up through the main site which at this point is currently not open to the public. And it defeats the purpose because I do not want members knowing that the subsite is part of the mainsite.

So the user signs up on subsite2, but the verification email sends them to subsite1 instead of subsite2? That is odd, I would expect it to send them to the mainsite if not subsite2. Default would be the mainsite; however, with your joint my multisite plugin it will likely change that.

The user signs up on subsite1, but the verification email is sent from subsite2 and when the user clicks on the confirmation email, they are taken to subsite2, which in theory they shouldn't even know about, as it is unrelated to subsite1.

This is likely a plugin conflict as well. I tested this on my own install and the username/password displayed as expected.

Patrick from the support team was able to replicate the same error of having a blank username and password field during the chat session last week (I don't remember the exact date). But access has been granted so please take a look and help me resolve this urgent dilemma.
    Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.