Facebook App necessary for Comments Plus operation?

I'm trying to get a little clarification on something...

If I want to use Comments Plus on a website that doesn't have a related Facebook page, does that mean that visitors who do use Facebook cannot leave comments using their Facebook credentials, simply because my site isn't connected to Facebook?

And does the same thing also hold true if a site doesn't have a Twitter account?

• aristath

Hello atouchofsummer, I hope you're well today!

You don't NEED to have a facebook page.
    You are however required by facebook to have a facebook account (it could be your personal account) s that you can create an "app" in their platform that will aloow your users to connect using facebook.

The same goes for twitter. It doesn't have to be an "official" site account, it could simply be a personal account, or an account that you create simply to create this app.

The reason both companies (facebook & twitter) do this is so that you can go back there and tweak your app, change your creadentials, make it better over time etc. It's also essential for security reasons. :slight_smile:

I hope that answers your question.

I am marking this issue as resolved. If however you feel that you need anything more then feel free to reopen it!

Cheers,
    Aisteides.

• atouchofsummer

I'm not sure I fully understand just yet... for two sites, I don't need any of the comments to appear anywhere else other than the WordPress site, so what security issues would be at play?

I would like site visitors to have the ability to leave comments using their own existing Facebook or Twitter credentials, if they happen to prefer using those over the standard WordPress comments info. I don't see any similar configuration requirements for account identification for the Google Plus option, hence my confusion about why they would be needed for Facebook and Twitter :slight_smile:

For using Ultimate Facebook, I understand the need for the app because you're using a greater level of connectivity with Facebook directly for integrating Facebook functionality into the website.

But with Comments Plus, if I didn't want or need those comments to integrate with an associated Facebook or Twitter account for the website (because they don't exist), those comments could still be left only on the website and not cross-posted to the respective social networks, correct?

• aristath

I don't need any of the comments to appear anywhere else other than the WordPress site, so what security issues would be at play

I was referring to the security of Facebook, not your own site. :slight_smile:

I don't see any similar configuration requirements for account identification for the Google Plus option

Google is... well, Google!! A company that has invested far more on their public APIs than any other company! It just has a different policy than facebook or twitter.

Theoretically you are correct. But the sad truth is that it's just the policy of Facebook and Twitter to not allow anonymous API calls. They NEED an app.

It has nothing to do with the WordPress plugin, it's just the way these companies work!

Cheers,
    Aristeides.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.