facebook comments question

Hi People,
So i installed the Ultimate Facebook plugin and it seems to work fine but i am little confused about one thing. When i create a new post it does post it on my Facebook page. now, if one will comment on this Facebook post the comments will not be imported into my Facebook comments on my WordPress site. However, when i post a new Facebook comment in my Wordpress site it will also post it in my Facebook account and when somebody replay on this comment it does also show it on my Wordpress site post.
so my question is , when a new post show on my facebook account and people comment on it, should those comments be imported into wordpress comments or not?

i hope i didn't get you confuse with my question :disappointed:

• DavidM

Hi fitoussi,

Looking at the settings in the Facebook Comments tab, there are a number of things that could possibly be the culprit here. Could you maybe get us a screenshot of those settings?

For instance, if you've got the account being used for this ticked under the 'Skip importing comments for these accounts' option, the comments wouldn't get imported.

Similarly, if you've hit the number of comments to import specified under 'Limit' it wouldn't import anymore.

Also, have you tried the 'Import comments now' option? That would help to know if the import is working at all in this case.

Thanks,
    David

• fitoussi

HI David,
    i attached a screen shot but i believe the settings are fine. As i mentioned, if i'll go to my site to one of the posts and post a comment the comment will be posted in Facebook. Then, if one will go to my Facebook and replay to that comment the replay will be imported to my site as well. so this part is working fine. the things is when i first create a new post in my site. when i mark the Facebook check box the created post will be posted on my Facebook. now if one will go to my Facebook and comment on this "new post" this comment will not be imported to my WordPress site. so i am not sure if comments on the "New post" on facebook should be imported or only replays on comments that was first started on my wordpress site?

Damn i got my self all confused with this question.

• fitoussi

Thank David.
    another thing now. I am using Wordpress MU and in one of my site i am using the directory plugin. for some reason since i installed the facebook plugin i cannot post comments under the directory posts. all i get is "Reviews are close" . i checked everything and i can't figure out the cause for it. even if i deactivate the plugin reviews will stay close. any idea what could cause it ? comments under "pages" of this blog are working fine and all my other blogs i am using the network theme and i don't get the problem. well, just the one i mentioned above.

• Vladislav

Hi,

I believe there is confusion in how exactly the Facebook comments import is supposed to work. First of all, the import is not instantaneous - comments for your autoposted post on Facebook will be imported hourly. For testing purposes, you don't have to wait for an hour to check your comments - you can go to you blog plugin settings and use the "Import comments now" link to import all comments from autoposted posts on that blog.

Also, there is a difference between Facebook comments import (upper half of Comments section in plugin settings) and Facebook Comments (lower half of Comments section in plugin settings). The comments import will work *with* your WordPress comments system and import comments from Facebook into comments stream for your posts. As opposed to that, Facebook Comments (the other part, lower half) is completely managed by Facebook, and has nothing to do with your local WordPress comments system.

• fitoussi

Ok,
    so i deleted the plugin from my network site and installed it again. my settings now are the same like before but now when i go to each blog i don't see the Facebook plugin section which i could see before i deleted it (and it was network activated before i deleted it). i can see it only in the network admin. Should i see the plugin in the individual blogs or only under the network admin when it is network activated?
    anyway , now i want to do the "import comments now" but since the plugin doesn't show in my blogs i cannot do it.

• DavidM

Hi fitoussi,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we'll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.