Facebook Connect and the Membership Plugin

I just read on another post that there are some compatibility issues with Facebook Connect and the Membership plugin.

I have WP-FB Autoconnect (not WPMU) installed on my site, and Membership is one of the plugins I plan to install later and compare with other similar plugins offered elsewhere (s2, etc)... but one function I absolutely need is to have people be able to create accounts using Facebook Connect, and login with it of course.

Is that not possible using the Membership plugin? The specific thing that was said on the post I mention above is that Membership wants to take control of account creation... I'd need it to allow for people to create a basic account using Facebook Connect, and then upgrade to a higher account level with Membership.

My old site got far too many spammers and trolls, and I'm trying to build real connections between real people, so requiring Facebook Connect is a way I am limiting the trolling from happening, and encouraging people to be themselves rather than faceless anonymous political blog flamers.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @Solo-Man

Could you provide a link to that other thread? It would help to see where you got the information.

As for the Membership plugin, yes it does override the built-in WordPress registration process. However, if a user account already exists or is created via another plugin, Membership will recognize that account also.

You may also wish to test-drive our Ultimate Facebook plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-facebook/

Ultimate Facebook and Membership play nicely together :slight_smile:

• natanio
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I have set up a site around S2member, and I'm trying to add a smoother registration process. I downloaded the Ultimate Facbook plugin to give users a chance to have a "one-click registration" option, but when I tested it, the new account did not get assigned to the s2member level needed to be logged in.

It took me a really long time to get everything set up on s2member. Is there a way to make this happen that doesn't require setting it up on a new system, like Member? If not, I'll probably just ditch Ultimate Facebook.

Thanks for any help!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hiya @natanio

Welcome to the forums!

This plugin might help:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multisite-user-management/

There is also a useful code snippet in this post:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/change-the-default-user-role-of-new-sites-multisite#post-71720

You may be able to modify that for your use by switching out 'subscriber' with the appropriate 's2memberlevel'

Good luck with your project. And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.