Facebook, events+ issues

1. I am connecting facebook with membership pro 2 so that the user can only login using facebook. The only restrictive access I want the facebook login to provide is for signing up or posting events. As I want all pages to be visible to everyone. How do I set this up?

2. Now, Events+ have their own social RSVP. But I would rather use the data from the buddypress profile which would have mapped the data during facebook login. Can I do this? What are my options?

3. How do I show Events+ on the website. The widget has only one option - Upcoming events, events with more RSVPs, most popular events and some more calendar options. But for example..
- how do I show the whole event information on the website without an extra click?
- the "upcoming events" only shows the first event coming up and not all, or even multiple. Can I show, say 3 upcoming events?

Milan

Hello Impronto ,

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us.

1. I am connecting facebook with membership pro 2 so that the user can only login using facebook. The only restrictive access I want the facebook login to provide is for signing up or posting events. As I want all pages to be visible to everyone. How do I set this up?

There is add on for Events+ which you can use to tweak user's capabilities based on their roles. You'll find it at Events+ > Settings > Add-ons > Capabilities

2. Now, Events+ have their own social RSVP. But I would rather use the data from the buddypress profile which would have mapped the data during facebook login. Can I do this? What are my options?

This is indeed custom solution but let me ping our developer so he can assist you well on this.

3. How do I show Events+ on the website. The widget has only one option - Upcoming events, events with more RSVPs, most popular events and some more calendar options. But for example..
    - how do I show the whole event information on the website without an extra click?

I am sorry but I am unable to get your point here. Single event page displays all the information about a particular event. Isn't it what you are looking for ?

- the "upcoming events" only shows the first event coming up and not all, or even multiple. Can I show, say 3 upcoming events?

Yes you can. You would need to set listing's limit to 3. Take a look at this screenshot please.

Looking forward to hearing back.
    Best Regards,
    Milan

Impronto

Hi Milan,
    Thanks for your extensive reply!

Here are my follow-up questions -

1. I tried using the "Event's Attendees" widget, butt it's showing an error. Picture attached!

2. The 'Upcoming Events' widget has started to work the way you mentioned above (thanks again for that). I was wondering if I can alter the display. Currently the text of the event is positioned below the thumbnail (Picture attached).

Can we instead show the text on the side? Must say, that I am not a coder. I can follow instructions for simple CSS edits, but not a whole lot, and also not planning to use your custom coding development service. Just wondering if this is simple enough to be solved?

3. Also, can we get different layouts - like some which are presented on Events+ page, here at,
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/events-plus/? I am having a difficult time understanding on how to change the layout.

4. Here is an Single Event's Page, the way it's displayed right now, after publishing.

Is there a way to change the color scheme, font, back ground image etc? Nothing fancy, just the colors, text, and background?

5. From your reply to Question 1 and 2 in my earlier post, it seems that
    -- Membership 2 Pro + Facebook Login + Events RSVP + Buddypress --
    are all going to be very difficult to manage if I try to do a lot of things, especially as I mentioned in my earlier post. The only reason I wanted to use Buddypress is because I want to let users RSVP for events using facebook login only, and also for creating their own events. I want to collect their name, pic, email, phone. I don't need the Facebook login for anything else. Can you suggest a simpler route please? For example, should I remove Membership 2 Pr, Facebook Login, Buddypress and just use Events RSVP? Or should I just use BuddyPress and FB login? What user flow would be best?

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Impronto!

1. I tried using the "Event's Attendees" widget, butt it's showing an error. Picture attached!

This widget should be used on a "single event" page as it shows a lit of attendees for an event. On other pages/posts it will not show anything to the end user. It will show the error in Upfront editor (we are constantly updating those small "glitches" to remove all "confusion causing" messages) but with Upfront editor disabled it will either show list of attendees if used on single event page or show nothing if used on other pages/posts or used on single event page when there's no attendees at all.

The bottom line is: if you place it on any page other than "single event" it simply won't work (visitor will not see this message) and on single event pages please ignore that error and it should work fine.

3. Also, can we get different layouts - like some which are presented on Events+ page, here at,
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/events-plus/? I am having a difficult time understanding on how to change the layout.

4. Here is an Single Event's Page, the way it's displayed right now, after publishing. Is there a way to change the color scheme, font, back ground image etc? Nothing fancy, just the colors, text, and background?

You can customize layout of a "single event" page using Upfront editor. The way it's presented "by default" is because each event is in fact a post of custom post type. Upfront doesn't include default
    layout for this but that can be changed. The way to go here is as follows:

a) open single event in browser (being logged in to the site as admin); any of existing events will do;
    b) enable Upfront editor using "Upfront" link in your admin toolbar on top of the page
    c) edit the layout just like any other page
    d) save and make sure that you selected "All posts of this type" when prompted while saving changes.

This will essentially create a "custom page template" that will be automatically applied to all the events (both already existing and added in future). You can use all the tools Upfront provides you with here.

5. From your reply to Question 1 and 2 in my earlier post, it seems that
    -- Membership 2 Pro + Facebook Login + Events RSVP + Buddypress --
    are all going to be very difficult to manage if I try to do a lot of things, especially as I mentioned in my earlier post. The only reason I wanted to use Buddypress is because I want to let users RSVP for events using facebook login only, and also for creating their own events. I want to collect their name, pic, email, phone. I don't need the Facebook login for anything else. Can you suggest a simpler route please? For example, should I remove Membership 2 Pr, Facebook Login, Buddypress and just use Events RSVP? Or should I just use BuddyPress and FB login? What user flow would be best?

Events+ plugin lets you allow RSVP with Facebook and Twitter out of the box without addition of any other plugins. You can allow that via the "Events -> Settings -> Plugin settings" page -> "Allow Facebook and Twitter Login" option.

Enabling that option will add Facebook, Twitter, Google and WordPress (WordPress.com) login buttons to RSVPs so after clicking on "I"m attending" button user will be given a choice to use any of these services. If you wish to disable any of them you can do that on "Events -> Settings -> API Settings" page.

As for creating events by users. By default "regular users" (e.g. subscribers) are not allowed to create their own events. This can however be changed using the "Capabilities" add-on of Events+ which you can enable on "Events -> Settings -> Add-ons" page.

Then, on "Events -> Settings -> Event Capabilities" you can tweak permissions. There's a user role selection drop-down list and you can e.g. allow selected user role publish events.

This however works on "user role" base so e.g. giving all subscribers right to publish events would affect all registered users.

If this is fine, you do not need any additional plugins to handle that. If you wish however to allow it to selected users only the best course of action would be to use a plugin such as "User Role Editor" to create an additional user role and then grant required permissions to that user role only.

Then you would want to give selected users that user role. Depending on how your site should work you could do this manually, you could set it to be the default user role for all users that register or you could use Membership 2 Pro to assign that user role for all users that register with specific membership. This however can't be integrated with Events+ and FB login (regardless whether it's a built-in FB RSVP or other plugin) out of the box and would require custom development.

Best regards,
    Adam

Impronto

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your detailed response.

Here are some follow-up questions -

1. I tried using the "Event's Attendees" on the Single events page as you suggested. And it's still showing an error. However, when I exit the editor, and open the site on my browser, then it's showing the attendees all fine. Is this a system glitch?

2. The Single Event's Page doesn't carry the pictures from the event. How do I add them to the page?

3. I opened the Single Even't Page in my editor and was able to make changes as you had suggested. But there are some issues I ran into, regarding flexibility, and design.
    ---- A) I am able to change the font and color for date and title, but not content. Anyway I can do that?
    ---- B) Can I remove the option of "MAYBE" and "NO"?
    ---- C) Can I remove the Archive links "Events > 2016 > October > Moth Story Slam"

4. I also opened the same page on my editor and browser and they look very different. Pictures attached.

How do I change the layout? Since, the buttons and links are not visible?

5. Correct me if I am wrong -
    I can use Events+ to
    - Let users RSVP using FB login
    - Add them to the Subscription List post login
    - Get their Name, Email, Picture, Phone
    - Create events

Is this all true? (I can figure out how to achieve it based on your answer above), just want to double check the capabilities of Events+.

6. You forgot to answer my Question 2 from previous post. The 'Upcoming Events' widget has started to work the way you mentioned above. I was wondering if I can alter the display. Currently the text of the event is positioned below the thumbnail (Picture attached).

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Impronto!

1. I tried using the "Event's Attendees" on the Single events page as you suggested. And it's still showing an error. However, when I exit the editor, and open the site on my browser, then it's showing the attendees all fine. Is this a system glitch?

Yes. It's more of a "cosmetic" issue and is not affecting site performance but I can see how confusing it may be. For know please simply ignore the message as it's only visible for you in an editor. Hopefully it'll be fixed with one of future updates.

Before we go any further with this I'd like to ask you that we could go through the issues "one by one". This thread starts to get long and complex and is too easy to "get lost" now. In order to speed up things it would be best if we could focus on one issue/question and then after its solved proceed to another one. I hope that makes sense

2. The Single Event's Page doesn't carry the pictures from the event. How do I add them to the page?

You will want to add the "Featured" post part (element) to the layout. To do this (while editing single event page) please:

- select the "Draggable Element" tab from Upfront panel on the left
    - switch to the "Data" tab (it's set to "Layout" by default)
    - drag and drop the "Featured" element on the page where you'd like your "Featured image" to be shown.
    - (optional) edit "Featured" element settings to mach your design.

See screenshot below:

Once the image is there save "Apply to all posts of that type" and a related featured image will be displayed on every event page.

Give it a go please and let me know if it worked for you. If yes, we'll jump to your next questions.

Best regards,
    Adam

Milan

Hello Impronto ,

Hope you are well today and won't mind me chiming here.

Let's proceed with your third questions now.

3. I opened the Single Even't Page in my editor and was able to make changes as you had suggested. But there are some issues I ran into, regarding flexibility, and design.
    ---- A) I am able to change the font and color for date and title, but not content. Anyway I can do that?
    ---- B) Can I remove the option of "MAYBE" and "NO"?
    ---- C) Can I remove the Archive links "Events > 2016 > October > Moth Story Slam"

#A) Are you using Post Data element ? Or its default single event page. If its post data element, you should be able to tweak. Please advise further on this
    #B) There isn't any default option to do that. You can use this custom CSS snippet to hide those.

a.wpmudevevents-no-submit, a.wpmudevevents-maybe-submit{
    	display: none;
    }

#C) Yes you can for sure. Just use this snippet.

div.event-bread-crumbs{
    }

Let's solve this and then we will proceed with next one.
    Best Regards,
    Milan

Impronto

Hi Milan,

Thanks for your reply.
    3. I tried all the solution you mentioned.

A). I am using the default Single Events Page but the content is a POST DATA type content. I can change the styling for Date and Title, but not for the description.

B). This works! Thanks.

C). I used this at the same as B). above but nothing seems to change. Let me know what to do?

if it's okay, please also answer number 4, as its all related. Thanks a lot.

Dimitris

Hey there Impronto,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in!

A). I am using the default Single Events Page but the content is a POST DATA type content. I can change the styling for Date and Title, but not for the description.

You can change the font family and other aspects of description text with some custom CSS.
    - edit the post data element
    - create a new preset or use an existing one
    - edit the preset's CSS
    - use the Content Paragraph button to get the appropriate class

C). I used this at the same as B). above but nothing seems to change. Let me know what to do?

Please use this snippet instead, this should do the trick.

#event-bread-crumbs {
    }

4. I also opened the same page on my editor and browser and they look very different. Pictures attached.

This is true indeed, as the event custom post type isn't built like a normal WP post and reaching the UF Editor leaves you only the default parts to edit which are date, title and content.
    For other changes we should select a CSS path.

2. The 'Upcoming Events' widget has started to work the way you mentioned above (thanks again for that). I was wondering if I can alter the display. Currently the text of the event is positioned below the thumbnail (Picture attached).

Again, the UF Editor with some custom CSS should do the trick again.

In my example I used something like

#event-popular ul {
        list-style: none;
    }
    #event-popular ul li > a > br {
    }
    .wpmudevevents-date {
        margin-bottom: 10px;
    }
    .widget img {
        float: left;
        margin: 0 30px 10px 0;
    }

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Impronto

Thanks! All of this works! Only question 5 from the original issues set is left. Let me just ask it here again, with lesser constraints.

I want users to come to the website and register for events with their name, phone, and verified email. That's it. Don't need any other feature or permission.

I am using Events+ as you already know. What's the easiest way to achieve this with minimal CSS custom coding?
    I guess I have the following options:
    - Social RSVP with Events+
    - Membership Pro 2 integrated with Events+
    - Buddypress + Ultimate FB login with Events+

So, I guess what I am trying to understand is what's the easiest way to set this up, so that the a person can visit the website and register for an event using name, verified email, and phone number.

Dimitris

Hello Impronto,

I trust you're well today!

So, from Events+ addons page, you can have:
    Social RSVPs can provide you FB, Twitter, Google and WordPress login.

Membership Integration allows Events+ to Integrate with our Membership 2 plugin, so that members can receive a alternative fee for paid events.

BuddyPress: Activity auto-updates auto-post an activity update when something happens with your Events.
    BuddyPress: My Events adds an Events tab to your user profiles.
    BuddyPress: Group Events allows you to connect your Events with your BuddyPress groups.

what's the easiest way to set this up, so that the a person can visit the website and register for an event using name, verified email, and phone number.

I believe that BuddyPress should do the trick for you in this case.
    You can use the native BuddyPress XProfile fields in order to get members phone number upon registration (this number cannot be retrieved from social networks).
    You can also use Membership 2 Pro, as it provides BuddyPress integration, although the scope of this plugin is to limit content per user levels and I don't know if this is required for your website.

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

Impronto

Thanks Dimitris!! Yes, I am well today, hope you are doing good as well!

Let me ask couple of follow up questions to this to understand this better.

1. Social RSVP - If I take this route then i can have a FB login but there is no way to get name, email and phone number, right?

2. I am using Ultimate FB login (by wpmudev) for populating the Buddypress fields.
    A) I am only asking for name, and email when the person logs in using FB. But I have a field called phone number as well. So, will the system automatically ask for a phone number? How do I set this up?

B) How do I set up registration for events so that the person after logging in using Ultimate FB and subsequently populating the BuddyPress fields can easily register fir the event? I hope I am being clear here. What I mean is, if the BuddyPress profile is filled up, how do I use that to set up event registration?

C) From what I read above, it seems that if I need to have FB login, then I will need to use BuddyPress + Membership Pro 2 + Ultimate FB. Is that right? Will this get too complicated? Should I just use BuddyPress with Membership Pro 2, and avoid FB login all together?

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Impronto!

1. Social RSVP - If I take this route then i can have a FB login but there is no way to get name, email and phone number, right?

Before I answer you question I'd like to add something to this. The "Social RSVP" add-on is not the one to let you users RSVP with Facebook. Instead it's for providing social statuses update about RSVP. But of course you can RSVP with social services including Facebook. You can enable Facebook login on "Events -> Settings -> General" page and then configure it on "Events -> Settings -> Api settings" page.

A user that RSVP's with Facebook essentially creates a user account on your site. This account will fetch a name and e-mail address from Facebook so you'll get these information available in user profile. What Dimitris meant is that only the phone number cannot be retrieved.

2. I am using Ultimate FB login (by wpmudev) for populating the Buddypress fields.
    A) I am only asking for name, and email when the person logs in using FB. But I have a field called phone number as well. So, will the system automatically ask for a phone number? How do I set this up?

If you are using Ultimate Facebook plugin and enable Facebook login with Events+ please make sure that you also enabled the "My pages already load scripts from Facebook" option on "Events -> Settings -> API Settings" page.

As for the question. Since you got the "phone number" filed created in BuddyPress you could use any kind of "Login redirect" plugin to redirect user after login to a profile page where this field is shown. If it's set to "required" user should be forced to fill it in, I think.

C) From what I read above, it seems that if I need to have FB login, then I will need to use BuddyPress + Membership Pro 2 + Ultimate FB. Is that right? Will this get too complicated? Should I just use BuddyPress with Membership Pro 2, and avoid FB login all together?

You don't have to use all these three plugins together. You can use BuddyPress + Ultimate FB only if you wish to provide FB login but don't need any kind of content protection. If you wish to provide content protection but don't need FB login, you can use BuddyPress + Membership 2 Pro. And if you need both FB login and content protection then yes, you'd need to use them all. That is, assuming that BuddyPress is something that you need on your site.

Best regards,
    Adam

Impronto

Okay, thanks for the advice, Adam.

Since I need FB login plus Phone number, BuddyPress is the only solution? Or is there any other simpler alternative?

I don't need any sort of content protection, and also don't need any other user-function apart from registering for events.

I have added BuddyPress, Events+, Ultimate FB to my site but just having a difficult time connecting all of these. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Impronto

I am assuming BuddyPress +Ultimate FB Login is the simplest solution to Register for an event on Events+ using Name, Email, Phone. If not, ignore everything else, and please let me know.

1. Ultimate FB login has a option of redirecting on Login. [Picture attached].

But when I tried logging in, it didn't do anything, did not even redirect. So, if I need the phone number, how do I re-direct to BuddyPress Profile?

2. For using this process, do I need to keep Social RSVP within Events+ off or on? Even though we are using FB RSVP, we are doing it differently, as we are taking mobile number as well. So, do we need the Social RSVP button on?

Predrag Dubajic

Hi Impronto,

When filling in Redirect on Login field try using only account instead of http://example.com/account/
    You can now see that the URL below the import field is showing http://example.com/http://example.com/account which is incorrect so after you set it as account only it should be showing as http://example.com/account/ and that should be working.

2. For using this process, do I need to keep Social RSVP within Events+ off or on? Even though we are using FB RSVP, we are doing it differently, as we are taking mobile number as well. So, do we need the Social RSVP button on?

Social RSVP will update FB/Twitter status even without the phone number so if your users need to have phone before RSVP this should be turned off.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Impronto

Both don't work. I changed it to account, yet it won't redirect me. Now, as I remove Social RSVP, and click on "I'm attending", it's taking me to the Wordpress Login page, and not using my FB credentials. Also, in the posts above I had sought help to have the "No" and "Maybe" options removed. But they are back now. So it's getting incredibly confusing.

I suggest, if it suits you, I will tell you what i am trying to do, and you tell me all the major steps involved. If I run into any issue, I will ask for the specific step. That way it will be easier for me to manage.

I am trying to have users register for events using their phone number, name, verified email. I would prefer facebook interface to login. From the discussion above it seems, that integrating with BuddyPress will help me save the phone number. Now I have installed BuddyPress, Ultimate FB, and Events+. How do I connect them and set it up? Just need the top level steps and if there is any issue, I can discuss the details. Let me know if this is okay.

Dimitris

Hey there,

hope you're doing good today!

Now I have installed BuddyPress, Ultimate FB, and Events+. How do I connect them and set it up? Just need the top level steps and if there is any issue, I can discuss the details. Let me know if this is okay.

I just went ahead to implement this connection, here's my settings and findings.

On Events+ plugin (no Add-ons activated):

On BuddyPress extra profile fields, I added a "Phone" field:

On Ultimate FB Settings under Facebook Connect tab:

Under the last settings is where I had some issues.
    1. There's no phone number from FB to map to the one I created for BP profile
    2. Redirection after register/login an event doesn't work (this should redirect member to his/her edit profile screen in order to submit this phone number, he/she could always just skip this page and do nothing though)
    So, instead of redirecting, I "stuck" into the Event page

Even though the "Phone" field is remained required in my profile
    [image pos="5"]

The first issue I think is something that can't be dealt, although I can investigate the second redirection issue further (maybe ping our dev guys also). Could this be a working solution for you? Please advise!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Dimitris

Hey there Impronto,

I trust you're well today!

1. Please suggest me how to solve the redirection problem once you can figure it out.

I just pinged our Second Level Support team on this. Please spare them some more time as they are dealing with multiple issues and the moment (some of them critical) and their response times are bigger than ours here in support forums.

2. Once the profile is complete, and the user clicks on "I'm attending" it will use the BuddyPress profile to save the RSVP?

There's actually only one user object for every member. The first data of it are simply fetched from FB during registration and BuddyPress just extend them with extra fields.
    There's an addon in Events+ settings that enables an extra "Events" profile tab in BuddyPress user account screen which can be very handy.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris