Facebook Events Posting to Website

1) Facebook events are posting to website but showing event date as one day later than posted on Facebook. Familiar?

2) Is there a default time/delay/frequency for new events posted on Facebook to refresh on website?

Thank you for any attention to this. Did a search in support but couldn’t readily find any relevant posts. We’re high on intent but low on time.

Regards!

TM.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hello there TM

Have you checked for any inconsistencies with the time settings on the WP install?

I’ve not heard of that particular issue before.

As for the delay, I noticed this myself when testing a few days ago. I cannot remember how long it took, but I do know my new event did not show instantly.

Best,

Kimberly

• TM.
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Kimberly, I appreciate you consideration.

RE Delay: About an hour after my inquiry it refreshed. Thought as much.

RE Time: This one’s a bit incorrigible. Reset WP time zone. Removed/reinserted/revised/revamped/reinvigorated shortcode.

Interestingly, dates beyond current week are posting accurately. Problem is only with two events — dates set for Thu/30 & Fri/31 are showing as Fri/31 & Sat/01 respectively.

Perhaps it has something to do with how Fb handles events within their current week v. future. Or there was a glitch with the way the two-dates-in-question were scheduled when app/plugin was set up. For now I just set the code to start next week.

In the end, I’m only left to echo the urban musings of C+C Music Factory: Indeed, the things that you make you go hmm…

Regards!

Todd M.

• TM.
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

!!!

PREVIOUS

RE previous post: “so far” was but for a moment. The plot thickens.

Whereas the original problem was that 2 events were showing on website a day later than on FB, now all subsequent events are showing on site as a day earlier.

SYNOPSIS

• Primary intent is to show FB events on site page (not widget). Set up plugin.

• Inserted shortcode in page. Set to “only_future”.

• At this point, there were only two future FB events (scheduled for this week; of 8/27). They posted to site as a day later than FB.

• FB admin posted additional events, they posted to site in sync with FB :slight_smile:

• Original two events still show a day later than FB :slight_frown:

• Checked WP time setting, was still on default UTC (thanks to Kimberly for the reminder). Changed from default to my time zone.

• Problem persisted, so I changed shortcode from “only_future” to “starting_from=’2012-09-03′”.

• This removed problem dates. Upon refresh, however, future dates show a day earlier than FB «:o‹)

As the diminutive, ambiguously specied Jedi master might observe with a flare for the intergalactic pidgin: Flummoxed he is.

SERIOUSLY

Really need to fix this problem, thanks for any help!

TM.

• TM.
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Kimberly for being on top of this.

Here’s another ingredient. In the process of styling events page elements, I modified this line of code in “wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/forms/event_item.php” as follows:

<div class=”wdfb_event_start_time”><?php echo __(‘• ‘, ‘wdfb’:wink: . ‘ ‘ . date(“l, F d”, strtotime($event));?></div>

This was just to insert a bullet character in place of “Starts at”, and to modify the date format. (used html code for bullet – was converted to actual bullet in above line by this post box)

I think that covers what I’ve done. Want to make sure I include everything in case I unwittingly wanged something out.

Thanks again!

TM.

• TM.
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Yep. When logged in the dates corresponded. When not there was a difference of a day.

Here’s more fun times: I deleted the plugin and FB app and started over. This week’s events still came in a day late (logged in or not). Next week and beyond corresponded to FB as per above. However, few hours later all of these were a day off (logged in or not; future events show a day earlier; this week’s show a day late). Seems to have the stink of an expired permissions token; or something.

Moreover, I noticed that when I click the website “events” page event link after dates become offset, and when not logged in to FB, that even the FB dates are off one day.

So this may be on the FB side; but it doesn’t appear that client was having this problem prior to my trying to sync the site with their page via UFB.

I’m going to look in to FB OAuth and Deprecated API’s…

Thanks Kimberly! Advise if you experience a sensational epiphany

TM.

• TM.
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Well, I was looking for a Facebook plugin and stumbled upon what claimed to be the ‘ultimate’ one. Only needed it to have FB events sync to client website so the site would mirror activity on the FB side. Then there was something about ‘lightning fast support’. Who could resist?

I’m not unsympathetic to the complexities of the endeavor. Nevertheless, the lapse on this is not a winning endorsement. Nor helpful to my relationship with client.

Think I need to know if this can be fixed or if I should move on to the penultimate plugin.

Thank you!

TM.

• TM.
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

No problem Kimberly. I appreciate any assistance you have and will likely continue to provide. If we end up with a solution then my joy will be made full! And, of course, I’ll stick in the ‘mud’ :wink:

Talk to you soon

TM.

• TM.
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Vladislav

Updated the plugin and events are still showing on website as 1 day earlier than the date scheduled on Facebook.

More mystifying is that while UFB is running on website, the dates that show on Facebook events page will mirror what is on the website; so even the Facebook events page will show the dates as one day earlier—on my iMac as well as PC Netbook, but not from outside systems. So the only way I can verify whether dates are off is with person who manages Fb page. . . . . hmm.

EPIPHANY! Maybe the problem is with the site host server clock/timezone. What do you (or anyone else who may be reading this for that matter) think?

Optimistically

Todd M.

• TM.
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

So much for my flash of insight. Checked server time and it shows date/time per EDT.

RE TIME: server, my system, and WordPress are all in sync. Can UFB script be modified per time zone… ?

Really hoping to figure this out. It’s the only MUD product we’re using, we’re paying for it, and it hasn’t worked yet. Two monthly payments so far…

Thanks for any consideration

TM.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven’t heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is “Not resolved” in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers

PC

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

The latest Events+ plugin release (v1.5, just released) comes with much improved Ultimate Facebook integration for auto-posting your events on Facebook. The new integration layer is also toggleable via a define (it’s on by default), if you’d rather have your custom filtering in place. Can you please try the latest release and see if it helps?

• WaxLily
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Well, it appears my shortcode attributes are not working.

[wdfb_events for=”450179591697163″ show_location=”false”]I don’t have anything going on right now. Don’t judge me.[/wdfb_events]

I cannot find solution in the forums. Tried clearing cache, switching browsers, and signing in/out of FB. But event location details still appearing. Also tried clearing the page content & republishing.

Bought this plugin this p.m. to save me some time…. so far, am getting frustrated, as this is the 2nd issue. Not working well!! Please let me know if I’m missing something obvious! Ty

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hey there!

Have you tested the show_image attribute to see if this is broken as well?

I’m not able to reproduce unfortunately. If you could test and i’ll go back and test some more that would be great.

I’ll try to reproduce in the meantime.

• WaxLily
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you for the response. However, it’s definitely not “working” if we have to wait 12+ hrs. to see our events show up on site. I’m also having other major issues. So I’m reopening this thread.

Here is the link to Vlad’s answer in regards to FB Events shortcode (so you can see what he said about the event posting delay) Where he basically is saying “You’re S.O.L.” :

here

Also, still no answer to the error message I’m getting for fb events sidebar widget :

Warning: usort() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /home/content/37/10240137/html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/class_wdfb_widget_events.php on line 175

Saw others post same issue but no answers.

ANOTHER ISSUE: The “event start times” are showing up all wrong : 7pm EST (US) is showing as “2 am” and the second time should be 9pm EST but is showing up “12 am”. I changed the “API Locale” in the settings from “auto detect” to my actual location (US)… No change. I originally had no event end times set, and hadn’t set show_end_time to false, so instead of repeating start date as end date, it was showing end dates in the year 1970! ? So I just hid the end dates altogether.

This plugin is serving to be a totally bunk purchase,–why are there so many issues?? I just wanted to save time/avoid having to use multiple plugins. Just kinda want my money back … Not trying to do much with it : Just want FB events feeding into one place on home page, and one instance of events widget in sidebar. That’s all!

http://test.oneillsstadiuminn.com/

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Waxlily

I think you are mis-characterizing the response from the developer in the thread you reference.

Nowhere does he say you are SOL. In fact he says it does behave unexpectedly because of how FB handles it sometimes and he agrees there should be a more graceful handling by the plugin. He goes on to say he is addressing this in the new update. Far from SOL.

He is saying your error will be taken care of in the update.

Your dates issue could actually be related to your error. I'd be interested to look into this myself. I just created my own test to see if the time will populate correctly, i'll just need to wait for my cron to update the event listing on the site :slight_smile:

It's a far from standard error as I've just put in your shortcode and widget on my test site and have zero issues. So it lends me to think it's not the plugin that is the issue, just a difference in setup.

originally had no event end times set, and hadn't set show_end_time to false, so instead of repeating start date as end date, it was showing end dates in the year 1970!

The plugin is coded to look for an end date, not to repeat the start date. I think the developer would love to find a way for this to work a bit more gracefully but hiding the end date if you don't have one seems like a logical solution to me :slight_smile:

the 1970 date is the WP default value when it can't find a date.

• TM.
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Just reading from the sidelines. But, nicely stated. My date issues lie unresolved. Nevertheless, I’m always impressed with the efforts of developers, support staff and community to work, think, improve, etc in order to advance their product and service. What is more, I find the WordPress community to be particularly openhanded, neighborly, and at times charitable with their time and talent. Offsets frustration.

All stated for what it’s worth.

Regards!

TM/V.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings TM,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• TM.
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Joe.

Never was able to get this plugin to produce a stable relationship between actual ‘Events’ dates on client’s Facebook page and what would post to their site.

Planning to try on a test site when I have the time. Feel free to share if you have any ideas. Thank you again

Regards!

TM.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings TM,

Thank you for letting us know and please be sure to test using the latest version – version 2.6.3 and the installation at wildbillysbargrill.com is way behind in both WordPress itself and Ultimate Facebook versions.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings TM,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.