Facebook Fan Page with Ultimate Facebook

Hi,

I've been looking for a Responsive WP Fan Page theme, but have not been sucessful.
Maybe I need to make a request, but I would like to have a theme that I know will work well with this plugin. A theme designed by you folks that I can confidently provide my Pro Sites users to encourage them to buy another site for their Fan Page.

I have set up a test fanpage which is not yet on Facebook. Then I will enable this plugin.
Am I correct that a WP Fan Page will work with this plugin?

Kind Regards,
Larry

Kimberly

Larry,

Thanks for being a WPMU member

I'd like to point you towards some specific themes, but I need to know a little bit more about what you are looking for. Are you needing something stylistically to your liking, with particular functionality or just something that works well with the Facebook Plugin?

This Plugin does work with Facebook Fan Pages, you can also grant Extended Permissions to increase your use of the plugin as well.

You should test drive it, I'm sure you'll like it

Best,

Kimberly

tishimself

Hi,

I'm new to FaceBook fan pages, but here is what my test site looks like. I'm not sure my Share This Page link will work.

I'm looking for a few things based on my test/sandbox site experience:
    0). These are themes for sites on my BuddyPress sites, so this must be allowed under the license.
    1). Responsive would be good as I think this is a very mobile market place.
    2). Flexible so that content is controled by Widgets, eg. posts, text areas on the main part of the page. One theme I found only permits footer widgets.
    3). Since I also want to provide such themes to my BuddyPress membership, I need to be able to have a fair amount of configurability in the >Appearence> menu. Some I have found do not allow the Menu to be configured or the posts to be controlled by a widget. Some add an RSS button, but offer no way to remove it.
    4). It would be good to have common FaceBook features like a share this link for facebook and twitter. I'm not a good source on this as I am a newbie to the use of Facebook for business.
    5). I would also be good to add some video tutorials to the dashboard videos to teach people how to add a facebook fan page.
    6). At present, I like the idea of having a logo button that will take the person to the actual website. I suppose FB users know how to do this easily, but I think a button helps. I think this can be done with a widget and some CSS.

In summary, I would like a theme that works like the other ones from WPMUDEV.

I was wondering if FrameTheme in the Farm could be changed easily to meed the FP width requirement.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Regards,
    Larry

Kimberly

Larry,

Have you checked out this theme? https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-social-theme

It's Facebook inspired and offers alot of flexibility for integrating social features into your site.

There are lots of plugins that can enhance the experience of any theme, your best best is to seach via keyword in the Plugins tab above. For instance you can search "Share" to see what plugins are bets for sharing, or you can select one of the subsets of pre-made categories that drops down when you hover "Plugins".

You can easily display feed from your Facebook page on your blog which will give users the opportunity to click directly to your site at anytime as well.

Everything you stated above is well within reasonable expectation and can be done

Let me know if you think this theme will be a good starting point for you

Best,

Kimberly

tishimself

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the use of facebook, so I'm probably not being very clear.

I do not wish to change my Network buddypress theme.

I do want to create a blog/site on my Network BP website that will work as a page on Facebook. To do that I need a Facebook fanpage type theme. I provided a link to such a test site with a test theme. It is that test theme I wish to replace, especially as I would like to offer such themes for user to build fanpages.

BTW, I'm still trying to get a fanpage working that uses this test WP site. I did manage to add it a tab to the fanpage, but not to replace the fanpage. Like I said, I'm new to this.

Larry

ymousley

Hi Larry,
    A better approach would probably be to create a page template, and use that page in your iFrame on your fan page.

A standard theme is going to include navigation menus at the top, and probably way more meta information than you need. I don't think there's a theme here that's designed for that, but if you're looking for guidance, you probably want to start by not including the buddypress bar at the top, and no other standard site navigation.

I think I get what you're after, and this plugin will do what you're looking for. This plugin is just for things like integrating Facebook connect with the login/registration system, displaying content from Facebook, etc. It's not going to help with using Wordpress for a Facebook page.

My suggestion: if you want to offer users different Facebook Page options depending on their level (if you're using pro sites to charge for blogs, for example), create a sitetheme for each level with different numbers of page templates.

In a Silver level site theme, you could include 3 Facebook page templates. When people create pages, they can choose one of those 3 page templates. In a Gold level site theme, you could include 5 page templates, 10 for Platinum, etc. and users will be able to decide when they create pages if they want it to be a regular page or a Facebook page.

You still have to set up the iframe on Facebook yourself for each (wp) page that you want to appear as a menu item on your fan page, and that's outside the scope of the plugin

tishimself

Hi,

I appreciate your help and patience.

I do have a test wp template using a WP theme compatible with facebook and want to be sure that what I'm doing is compatible with this plugin. I posted the link above.

It is my understanding that I must host the Facebook fanpage wordpress site. I have done that on my buddypress multisite. It is fanpage.my-woodcraft.com. On that site I have used a freebee WP theme that I think is compatible with Facebook fanpages and enabled the Ultimate Facebook plugin.

"use that page in your iFrame on your fan page"
    I have created a facebook app and a fanpage. For some reason I think I need an app to insert fanpage.my-woodcraft.com into my fanpage. Using the app I have been able to create a Tab for fanpage.my-woodcrtaft.com on the fanpage. But I have not been able to use this site as the fanpage itself. I think this should be possible and as long as compatable it is a seperate issue from my use of the UF plugin..

Once I get this done, I would like to offer the theme or themes for use under ProSites so that people will create and pay for fanpage sites. I just can't yet do it myself.

Kind Regards,
    Larry

ymousley

I do have a test wp template using a WP theme compatible with facebook and want to be sure that what I'm doing is compatible with this plugin. I posted the link above.

I made a mistake in my other post, I should have said this plugin *won't* do what you're after. This plugin will help you display Facebook albums on wordpress, but if you're on a fanpage, they already include the photos tab, so it's not really helpful. This plugin can let users register or login to your Wordpress site using Facebook, so it might not be helpful unless you want to get user registrations from your fanpage. If you do, then this plugin can help. This plugin will help you cross post blog posts from your wordpress blog to your facebook fan page wall, to notes, etc. Looking at your link, it doesn't look like you're using any of those things, so there wouldn't be any compatibility issues, because the plugin only affects behaviors within Wordpress, if that makes sense.

Meaning unless you set up your facebook template to display a wordpress login form, or display photos or events from Facebook (would be a duplication, but it should work if that's what you want), this plugin wouldn't affect anything.

It is my understanding that I must host the Facebook fanpage wordpress site. I have done that on my buddypress multisite. It is fanpage.my-woodcraft.com. On that site I have used a freebee WP theme that I think is compatible with Facebook fanpages and enabled the Ultimate Facebook plugin.

The main thing that makes a wordpress theme compatible with Facebook fan pages is the size, and use of Facebook's script library to hide the scroll bars that you normally get from iframes. Otherwise, whatever shows up on your wordpress site will show up on your fan page if you specify that page in the Facebook app.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/pagetab-app/

I haven't used this plugin, but this seems to be more what you're looking for. It helps you set up a fanpage through Wordpress without https (secure) hosting. If you set up an app to get tabs the standard way, you'll want to make sure your images and pages are hosted on a secure server, otherwise people will get a security warning when they get to your custom tab.

I have created a facebook app and a fanpage. For some reason I think I need an app to insert fanpage.my-woodcraft.com into my fanpage. Using the app I have been able to create a Tab for fanpage.my-woodcrtaft.com on the fanpage. But I have not been able to use this site as the fanpage itself. I think this should be possible and as long as compatable it is a seperate issue from my use of the UF plugin..

If your page isnt' showing up in Facebook after you created the app, it's a matter of the Facebook app setup, not the UF plugin. If you disabled the plugin - and considering how you want to use it I don't think you would lose much functionality - it wouldn't make a difference if you don't have your app set up properly.

http://www.hyperarts.com/blog/tutorial-add-an-iframe-application-to-your-facebook-fan-page-fall-2012/

Here's a tutorial that gives a walkthrough of how to set up an app. Note the first part about the secure hosting. If you're seeing that error, it's your hosting setup, not anything related to the plugin or wordpress.

Once I get this done, I would like to offer the theme or themes for use under ProSites so that people will create and pay for fanpage sites. I just can't yet do it myself.

I'm working on a similar project. Page templates is the best advice I can give you. Create a Facebook sized page template that looks similar to whatever main blog theme you offer (in terms of colors, fonts), and let people create that page using the Page Template selector.

What you're after isn't anything that's involved with this plugin though. It's largely theme development, and a little bit set up with Facebook itself.

Kimberly

Larry,

ymousley seems to have you covered on this!

I'm glad because I was missing your intention in your original post. ymousley is correct, you cannot use this plugin to, in essence, host your facebook fanpage on your wordpress site.

I am VERY interested in these projects though Facebook interaction with websites and applications is growing more complex, I'd love the time to look into this myself, but maybe you guys can keep me updated!

Best!

Kimberly

tishimself

Hi,

I was going to end this thread because it is only tangentially related to the UFB plugin and may prove to be unrelated. But I need ideas and some seem interseted.

I was not looking for the plugin to "host" the fanpage, but to help add some funtionality to a fanpage offering. They type of functionality is still unclear to me because the Facebook thing is still very much a learning experience,

I resolved part of my problem yesterday. I changed the Default Landing Page for my fanbook to be the fanpage site whicjh is part of my BP multisite: fanpage.my-woodcraft,com. Frustratingly, this seemed to not do anything. I was stuck clicking on the app from a tab to see my site. Then I found a reference that said the Default landing page did not work when you are logged in to your Facebook account. Sure enuff that was my biggest problem all along.

So I cleaned up my fanpage sandbox. The goal is to provide themes to do this under the control of Site Pro. Aaron provided another key feature to keep my FB Themes a Plugins seperated while I test and kinda emulate a new site pro FanPage Level once I'm ready:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/pro-sites-reserved-plugins-and-themes

I'm hoping to use one of WPMU faccebook plugins to enhance this offering. But I'm also looking for better functioning themes for this purpose. I also need to better understand how fanpages are used by Facebook so that I can guide members not only on how to create the fanpage but how to make it more visible/popular. I think a fanpage can be used as an advertisement. I see I have an email for $100 from Facebook which was triggered by my creating the fanpage. They provide a tutorial video that I hope will help.

I'm hoping this is will be a valuable offering for my more business professional site where the members are members only to promote there services. They haven't the time of the inclunation to mess with Facebook like I have been.

Larry

Larry

tishimself

Hi,

WP4FB is a plugin that adds new menus to the Dashboard.
    1. The is a new section added to the >Appearence>menus> to create a menu just for your FP.
    2. There is a new Page creation menu for creating fan pages.
    3. There is a menu that provides a way to customize the look of your fanpages as well as interface with Facebook.

So WP4FP will allow a member of my BP site to have a blog with regular WP pages as well as seperately cobbled fanpages for a facebook account. So there is no opportunity here to add client sites or canned WP themes for members to use for facebook fanpages. I'm not sure which license for WP4FB would be required for a BP implementation. I will ask. Oddly enough, these are pages not posts. Wordpress posts do not seem to be used. I will ask.

Next will be to see if I can learn how add the new page to facebook with a timeline.

Larry

tishimself

Hi,

Nothing is easy.

WPFacePages seems to have some advantages, like more widgets and post support.

But Facebook requires an SSL for WP fanpages that are externally hosted which in my case will be my Buddypress Multisite.
    1). The website/multisite must have a dedicated IP.
    2). A wildcard subdomain SSL costs vary from $79/year to $180 and more. My hosting company has a one time $25/IP charge to implement.
    3). You still need something like WP4FP or WPFacePages or at least some templates that support Facebook reqs and a community that wants Facebook WP pages enuff to learn how to do this to make it worthwhile.

One alternative is to not have a WP fanpage and use the UFB plugin. This would be the most affordable and just maybe the best way to startup. In the mean time I could have WP fanpages to promote my BP sites and keep up to speed on this stuff. Single SSLs are only some $12/year.

Larry
    Larry

tishimself

Hi,

After looking into the issue of subdomain vs subdirectories I'm sticking wth subdomians for SEO reasons. I will just need to pay the $price.

I'ver pretty much abandoned using WP4FP for a number of reasons which I don't need to list here.

However, while UFB plugin offers a lot, I think it is better to have a WP site for a business fanpage. Iff I can make. So now I start to test WPFanPages.

Larry

Kimberly

Larry,

Thanks so much for continuing updates

This is awesome! I think it's worth the $ for the subdomains, it's not too expensive if you have a good host.

Have you considered creating a fan page then adding a tab for other content? Like your Wordpress page and funneling folks through that?

I know that some sites are even hosting their forums via Facebook now, passwords and all, not sure how they are doing this though

https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/462/

tishimself

Hi,

The cheapest I have seen is $79/year for a wildcard SSL.

>Have you considered creating a fan page then adding a tab for other content? Like your Wordpress page and funneling folks through that?

The idea is to host the fanpage within each client site. They would pay for the plugin to add these "fanpage only" pages to their regualr WP site. The plugin actually creates a seperate set of WP pages used only for the business fanpage. The plugin also provides a number of widgets and tools such as a slider to dress up the FP. The FB would be a 810px wide WP site with pages and navigation. There is an option of having a "Like" page that would require such a vote b4 allowing the person to see the actual fanpage WP site.

My hope is that I can create a New Blog template site tjhat includes a Fanpage design ready for customizing, presuming they have paid thru pro sites.

At this point it is only a hope as I have yet to test the software. I wish I was using WPMUDEV tools to make this happen.

Larry

Larry.

tishimself

Hi,

I'm looking to push more than content. If this works then from each WP client site dashboard the user will manage a fanpage WP site in addition to their regular blog site. In this way they will have a 810px wide WP site that shows up on their business fanpage seperate from their regular WP site. Seperate except that they can designate posts for the Fanpage, blog or both. The first fanpage page could require a LIKE b4 presenting the actual site content. One thing I need is to be able to put a slider image with text and link on the fanpage.

I need to finish some client stuff, then I can try this and send you some snippits and a link to the fanpage.

Larry

tishimself

Hi Janes,

This truely has been a struggle for me.

I saw that but it did not seem of offer the client much help adding the WP FP to their Facebook or help with the recent Timeline changes. I did read some of the other articles, but I'm hoping this will do what I want including some tutorial vids:

wpfacepages

Their vids are not yet updated for Timeline and their latest plugin.

Larry

Mason

Ahh, gotcha.

Yeah, the timeline feature are still very new and so not much has been done by way of development from inside WordPress (plugins, etc) yet. Facebook has a massive well-paid team of developers creating this stuff and they tend to change things very fast and very frequently. We struggle to keep up with our own Facebook plugins.

I think, for this specific task, if you need something immediately and are able to, you should look into a custom developer: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

If that's not an option, then we'll just have to wait until someone is able to give this a go and post their process for the rest of us to follow.

Thanks and best of luck to you!

tishimself

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has found a good soruce for marketing on Facebook.

Without a default landing page, a WP Fanpage app ends up on that line of images under the header of your fanpage. It can also be used for PPC ads. This may be of interest to some of my clients, but I think a Timeline Fanpage with posts managed by UFP plugin may have more value for the effort.

Now I do think that using SEO within the WP FP has some merit to help people searching on your topic.

Does the Ultimate Fan Page plugin permit posting to fanpages or just to your wall?

Larry

tishimself

Hi,

The same kind of promotion within the facebook searches that I can try doing with Google. There are many like SEOMOZ that try to plum how Google does organioc searches, so I will take the topic up with them. I will be attending my first SEOMOZ webinar this friday and hoep to ask them.

I think they rely on the About text so I'm teaking it, but I was hoping to learn more about how FB does organic searches. This is one reason I wanted a WP fanpage, thinking FB might work like Google. Still testing to see how FB SEO might be working with it.

Larry