Facebook Login not working on Login Page

Dear Team,

I have recently purchased Untilmate Facebook Plugin, and have configured it successfully. Still facebook login not working on Login Page.

Kindly advice...

Thanks,
Achal

  • aecnu

    Greetings Achal,

    Thank you for the additional input and the screen shot, it is greatly appreciated.

    The first thing to do is to remove the www from your domain names in your Facebook application page and test to see if that works which it should.

    The reason why I am suggesting this is due to the instructions given on the Facebook apps page specifically for the apps domain which says that putting in yourdomain.com is the same as putting in *.yourdomain.com

    If this is in fact true then the www. domina would incorrectly look like *.www.yourdomain.com which is invalid.

    Please advise.

    Cheers, Joe

  • achal_gaggar

    Dear Joe,

    As suggested i have removed the www from the url on facebook, but still the problem persists.

    After clicking the login button on the wp toolbar it takes user to /wp-login.php, where the user gets option to login with facebook using the fb login button.

    After clicking the login button it does check if the user is already loggedin to fb or not, if the user is not loggedin, then the standard fb login popup appears prompting to login, once done that the page stays there and nothing hapens...

    Kindly advice,

    Thanks,
    Achal

  • aecnu

    Greetings Achal,

    Thank you for your additional input, it is appreciated.

    I have found the registration in the below screen shots indeed registers as anticipated.

    The one on the log in page indeed just flashes a box and it is gone and not logged in your first screen shot in your post above.

    http://www.gamearcade.co.in/wp-login.php

    Something I do see going on here shown clearly in the screen shots is two different types of registration - one normal Word Press as shown in my screen shot below, the other Buddy Press as shown in your screen shot above. It should not be working this way at all - once again something is preventing it from operating as anticipated.

    Now it is time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict here and one way to find out conclusively.

    Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

    If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

    You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

    Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

    Cheers, Joe