Facebook login widget's button fails to resize

I am using the Ultimate Facebook plugin with the Buddypress Social Theme.

My left widget bar contains the Facebook login widget. You can see the page on this link.

I have noticed that suddenly, the widget stopped showing on Chrome or IE:

1. On Chrome, the login button isn't shown anymore, there is a blue boarder line there instead. After 45 seconds, my console shows this error message: "fb:login_button failed to resize in 45s" (called by app.js::49).

2. On IE, first shows the 'Facebook Login Button' text. Then the item totally disappears (although it does succeed occasionally, once in a few page refreshes). The console shows: "LOG: fb:login_button failed to resize in 45s".

The login widget still works as expected on Firefox.

Any idea what may have caused this?
Please advice,

• aecnu

Greetings rbahumi,

Thank you for bringing this item to our attention and for the screen shots as well.

I visited the URL you gave and the only Facebook item I can see is in the right sidebar and there is no left sidebar as you mentioned above. Screen shot below.

In Chrome (screen shot below) which indeed shows that there is a JavaScript issue with some array and this needs to be dealt with as well and whatever is causing it needs to be found.

It is now time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict here and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• rbahumi

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

I have switched to the Twenty Twelve theme, and deactivated all but the Ultimate Facebook plugin - the problem remains...... (not on every browser refresh though, on some refreshes the login button is shown)

Please advice.

• rbahumi

I see that the <div id='fb-root'> exists twice.

Also, the Facebook all.js file is loaded twice:
    1. By the Ultimate Facebook plugin (including a version number):

./lib/class_wdfb_public_pages.php:              wp_enqueue_script('facebook-all',  WDFB_PROTOCOL  . 'connect.facebook.net/' . $locale . '/all.js');
    ./lib/class_wdfb_admin_pages.php:               wp_enqueue_script('facebook-all', WDFB_PROTOCOL  . 'connect.facebook.net/' . $locale . '/all.js');

And the generated HTML is:
    <script type='text/javascript' src='https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js?ver=3.5'></script>

2. Dynamically, by the Facebook JS SDK:
    js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1";

On the resources it shows 2 JS files: all.js?ver=3.5 & all.js.

Is this the cause for this error?

• Mason

Hiya Roei,

Just as an aside (and because I saw your other thread), both these tickets were responded to initially in under an hour. I suppose speed is a relative term, but we feel under an hour is lightning fast.

Now, can we guarantee that every answer will be resolved in a certain amount of time? No. Unfortunately we can't. Every issue has the potential of a unique setup with a combination of server, plugins, and themes that we've not encountered before. It takes time to debug items like this.

It's like when you have an intermittent issue with your car. The mechanic can listen and have a hunch on what's going wrong, but they can't guarantee a fix until they've got under the hood and seen what's really happening.

We're here to dig in with you and we'll stick with it until it's resolved. However, posting new threads on the same topic slows us down and posting multiple times to the same thread ("bumping") actually resets your questions spot in the queue.

Feel free to ask for status updates if something's gone on without a response, but know that 9 times out of 10 if you've received an initial response that didn't sort it for you the delay is only because we have to take time to recreate and debug the issue.

We really do hope to have you running smoothly and trouble-free on this and any other issues as fast as possible. Thanks!

• Vladislav

Although the double Facebook init scripts calls aren't a good thing, the issue you're experiencing is almost certainly linked with the warning you mentioned ("fb:login_button failed to resize in 45s"). This is a known issue of Facebook API: https://developers.facebook.com/bugs/592452207446912 As with most such issues, it doesn't affect everyone, but the good news is that the bug has been recognized as such, assigned a priority and is being actively worked on. Hopefully, the issue should be solved soon.

• aecnu

Greetings rbahumi,

As our lead developer has confirmed above that this is indeed an acknowledged Facebook issue and the assigned ticket with Facebook.

Therefore, until it is resolved of Facebooks end there is nothing we can do to fix it.

Hopefully they will get it fixed sooner then later, meanwhile we have now reached the end of the road with this ticket and I will mark it as resolved.

If indeed you still have issues after Facebook has marked the item resolved, please feel free to re-open this ticket below check marking it as not resolved and we will look right into it.

Cheers, Joe