Facebook Registration Confusing

Hi,

I'm confused by the Facebook registration process, so I know my users will be.

The "Register with Facebook" button is way down, so users will be halfway done with the normal signup process before they see it. Then, if you do use that option and you login via Facebook to populate the registration form, it just says, "You have registered." There are no further instructions on how to go to your admin area, or anything else. Just "You have registered," but no clue as to what to do next. (Most of our users are novices, so I'm looking at this from their point of view.)

However, even though the user is told that he or she has been registered, there is no new user and/or site in the network. So it appears that registration might not actually have happened.

UPDATE: Just for ha-ha's sake, I entered the Captcha code and hit "Register" a few more times. It finally said, "Thank you for registering. Proceed to main site." So, even though it had already told me that I had been registered, I had not. This is ultra-confusing. And, even after I figured it out, it was still confusing because it only gave the option to "Proceed to main site", which is the main site on the multisite network. Shouldn't it send you to the login for your newly-registered site?

Another issue is that the username seems to be assigned automatically based on the Facebook e-mail. So, since the username is also your subdomain, you end up with a very ugly site name like bobsmithyahoocom.ourdomwin.com.

Can this process be improved? Otherwise it's unusable for us.

BTW, I also can't get the admin "Login with Facebook" to work. It just redirects to the login page with %reauth added to the URL.

Thanks,

Mark

• Philip John

Hiya Mark,

Those are some great points, which I'll pass on to the developer. As you know it's a young plugin so there's room for improvement and I'm sure these will go down well!

As for that last issue with login, make sure you're fully logged out and you don't have any cookies knocking around. It sounds like WordPress still remembers your normal WP account from somewhere.

Cheers!
    Phil

• Vladislav

Hi,

As for the "You have registered" message in the registration form, this is most likely an existing app/profile bond issue, and it can easily happen when you test the plugin. This happens because, at some point during your testing, your Facebook account was linked to the Facebook app that the site uses (on Facebook - this happens regardless of the WordPress users condition).

You can see if this is the case by going to your Facebook profile page, then selecting "Privacy Settings" from the "Account" dropdown menu in the right corner. From there, you can see the apps you use by clicking the "Edit your settings" under "Apps and Websites" title at the bottom of the page. If the app you use for your website is listed there, this is the cause of the message - it will not appear for the new users.

In the latest release (v1.0.5), the full registration process also allows for creation of a site for new users, if allowed by network settings. Prior to this release this wasn't the case, and users were always added to the main site.

• wpcdn

In the latest release (v1.0.5), the full registration process also allows for creation of a site for new users, if allowed by network settings. Prior to this release this wasn't the case, and users were always added to the main site.

Good to hear. Is the overall process less confusing now? I haven't had a chance to test yet.

EDIT: Had a chance to test it. MUCH better, thank you! I'm going to make one modification and have the success page take people to their Dashboard login instead of their blog's front end.

Thanks,

Mark

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.